Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For those that are interested-
I contacted Alliant for loads in the 7x57 and RL17.

Here is what they had to say:

"We have not tested RL 17 in this cartridge. RL 17 and IMR 4350 are very similar in burn speed. If you have a starting load for IMR 4350, you can use the same starting load with RL 17. The max loads may not be exactly the same but they will be similar."

FWIW

Last edited by AJD; 06/05/10.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I worked up a load for deer/pronghorns and one for elk for my 7x57 RSI:

120 gr. TSX/44.5 RL-15/R-P cases/WLR primers
150 gr. E-tip/ 50.0 gr. RL-19/R-P cases/WLR primers

Both shot well in my rifle, but I never got to take any game with it, I ended up selling it to a Campfire member before I ever saw anything that I wanted to shoot with it...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been playing with H450 behind 175 Hornadys and 170 Sierras, both roundnoses. The results I'm seeing in my older red-pad #1-A have been very pleasing. Alas, both the powder and the Sierra bullet are history, so it'll be a relatively brief flirtation.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, I was just loading some 120NAB with RL 15 44.5gr. RP brass. It will be interesting to see how they shoot.

I used to load H450 in my 260 and it worked well. I was dismayed when I couldn't find the powder listed in the current manuals and realized it had been discontinued.

Last edited by AJD; 06/06/10.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I've been playing with H450 behind 175 Hornadys and 170 Sierras, both roundnoses. The results I'm seeing in my older red-pad #1-A have been very pleasing. Alas, both the powder and the Sierra bullet are history, so it'll be a relatively brief flirtation.

I hear you on those Sierras. I'm trying to find more as my supply is now down to half a box. frown Just out of curiosity, what was your load with H450 with those bullets? Every once in a while I find a can at a gun show and if I find one with the seal unbroken, I just might pick it up tp try.
I did contact Sierra bout them making a run of those 170 gr. bullets but they didn't feel there was enough demand to make it worth while. Too bad we can't get something going and have some made up for the few of us that prefer that bullet.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have limited experience with handloading for this round. I have the #1 RSI and used 140gr Federal factory Power Points this last hunting season. I took a nice little Washington Blacktail with one shot. It dropped in its tracks. The bullet performed okay. It went through the near shoulder high and lodged under the hide after penetrating the off shoulder.
[Linked Image]

Dave wink

One shot, one kill........
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been running 49.0 with the 175 Hornadys, 50.0 with the Sierras. I prefer the Sierras to the Hornadys. I think they might be a bit tougher. I know they have shown themselves to be quite tough in my 7mm-08. And they seem to fly a bit "sleeker".

BTW, Hodgdon data on the can shows 50.0 with 168 target type bullets, an old Hodgdon manual shows 49.0 with 175s. They claim over 2500 fps with these loads. I haven't measured the speeds I'm getting. I have been shooting chunks of sea ice from a bluff overlooking the Bering Sea as it's breaking up. Based on what these bullets are doing at 300 yards, give or take some, I'd say they're likely moving pretty well.

As for the 170 not being worthwhile, I don't know what constitutes worthwhile. However, I don't know the number of bullets they need to run to make it worthwhile but I'd like to see them run their RNs in various diameters from time to time. I also like the 160 SMP in .264 better than the 160 Hornady RN and the 100 smp 6mm was "the" bullet for my M788 when I used the 6mm. I suppose a run of 50,000 bullets might not be worthwhile, but I'm sure they'd easily sell them if they did a run every year or two. Then again, I imagine volume is a big deal when you don't build the fancy boutique hunting bullets.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 06/07/10.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by texasjohn
I have several 7x57 rifles and a bud of mine has a custom #1. We have had outstanding success in terms of accuracy and performance on game with the 139 grain Hornady spire point and 52.0 grains of IMR 4350. This is one grain under max in my Hornady third edition loading manual. I have never had any pressure signs but I would start at 48 grains and work up. My OAL is 3.090.

John

That just about sums it up. Use any of the 4350s and the Hornady, put the bullet where it counts, and you are done for the day. No need for anything but cup and core bullets for this cartridge and whitetails!

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks John good info.

I had the 120's and 140's on hand and so loaded some of those to try out.

The 120's were NBT, I mistakenly called them NAB's.

I'll pick up some 139 Hornady's to see how they do. I also want to try RL17 as well as 4350. I also have a hankering to try some of the round-nose bullets in this chambering.

Last edited by AJD; 06/09/10.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
AJD,

For some reason to my eyes, the 7x57 w/Round Nose bullets just look like they belong . I think the 154 Hornady is a natural for this one. If you just want to try a few, let me know. I'll send you 20 or 25...

Edw-

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
GH- Thanks a lot, I think I have some coming from Midway. I ordered some items from them and I believe that is one of them.

I agree it just seems RIGHT! Like it belongs.

If I didn't I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot.

AJD

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just loaded some 200gr Hornady RN for my 35Whelen, and I don't know why, but I just like them. It will be interesting to see how they shoot.

They are just sorta retro.

Last edited by AJD; 06/09/10.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With a couple of Ruger #1 7x57 red pads -- in AB and B profile --in the safe that were made in the day of the looooong throat, I keep a large stock of Federal 175 gr ammo alongside the 140 gr stuff. I also found on a fire sale at a Gander Mountain numerous boxes of 175 gr Nosler Partitions that came home with me.

Oddly enough some 140 grain bullets shoot OK, but the real accuracy begins with the 175s.

1B

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shot a bunch of stuff with NPTs in 175....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
GH,
My package came in today and it had some 154 Hornady RN in it.

Thanks for the offer.

My 7 x 57 doesn't seem to be throated as extremely as the 1A in 35 Whelen.

AJD

Last edited by AJD; 06/10/10.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the Hornady 139 interlocks on top of 50 grains H4350 in a Ruger M77 Mark II. This load will stay inside 1/2" inch with some groups hovering @ 3/8". Pure poison on Eastern whitetails. I have taken nine deer with this load so far up to 225#. Most dropped at the shot, a couple made it one or two wobbly steps. All through and through penetration. This is my favorite caliber after my .308 and just as effective.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bought some 139gr RN 7 x 57 Sellier & Bellot cartridges a few weeks ago. I was thinking they were Hornaday bullets, but they look nothing like the Hornady 154's I just received. I do think these cartridges have been sitting on the shelf for a looooog time. Anyone know who makes the bullet for this cartridge? I dono how it shoots but I like the looks of it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I suspect those are made by S&B themselves. Hold a magnet to one, they might be mild steel jacketed.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
AJD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You are correct! When I hold a magnet to them, it sticks. The tip appears to be lead, but it must be steel under the jacket. The magnet doesn't stick to the exposed tip. I was wondering why they appeared longer/beefier than the 154's. I suppose there is no harm in shooting them. And, I guess they would "penetrate" acceptably. I'll probably use them for break in. I also wondered why they were so cheap.

Thanks!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's not like they are armor piercing or anything, if they shoot well in your rifle use them. I believe that the jacket is plated mild steel, someone else here will surely know for sure. I found this out about 5 years ago when the indoor range I shoot at wouldn't let me use some 173gr 7x57 S&B's, they said there was a danger of them bouncing off the backstop.

FWIW one of the guys I hunt with has shot several deer with S&B .30-06's which have the same jacket, when we put a magnet to them he was really shocked that it stuck. Seems they worked fine, steel or not.

I have no idea whether this is still true of current production.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,869 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.