Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks guys. KC, I was slightly aware about the altitude sickness and the lack of humidity but hadn't put much thought into it. When we went to Idaho last year, I got a taste of the dry air and the breathing difference associated with it but we never got much above 5000 feet while hunting so didn't even think about having to adjust for AMS. I will try to pay attention to altitudes now. I know most of what you have written is pretty common sense stuff but it is good to read a refresher for "out of stater's".

I am pretty much clued into the multiple layers already and even stocked up on a fair amount of wool clothing of varying weights for last years hunt. I will probably pick up a few more items for base layering but don't feel I will need much to complete the wardrobe package.

I haven't done much back pack hunting and that is definitely something we will have to account for. I have what I believe to be a decent Kelty pack that would probably make do but I may need to put some more attention on this area. Last year we were hunting out of a cabin and would drive to the truck to a trail head and then hike out for 5-10 miles and return for the night. Pretty simple stuff that didn't require that didn't require the over-loaded pack to survive.

I think deciding on a destination may be the hard part at this point. Lots of planning from here.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Non residents can do over the counter tags in Idaho. If one is in shape, I'd suggest any of the Snake River or Hells Canyon breaks. Great spot and stalk countrty. In October, weather can do anything, so come equipped for anything from zero to 90 degrees F.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
war eagle,

For $643 or $343 you can apply for an elk/deer combo, or a deer combo respectively in Montana. If you get the elk deer combo you can kill an elk, deer, upland birds fish etc. If you get the deer combo you can kill a deer, birds, fish etc. If you want a pretty good area to kill a decent mule deer buck, put in for the area just east of ashland. Plan on your trip to be around the middle of November when the bucks are in the rut. You will see tons of deer, with a good chance of a decent 4 x 4 or better.There is a ton of public land out there and lots and lots of deer. It is also a good spot for elk but it is a fairly tough draw for elk.

Bart

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
hey bart can you explain or elaborate on how montanas draw works?

Do you apply for the combo and if you draw it then reapply for special areas? I have never really understood it and want to start trying next year

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yep that's exactly right. Nonresidents apply in March for the general tags, if you draw then you apply in June for Special hunts

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I made several trips to different parts of Wyoming.

I always ordered Wyoming's current game harvest statistics and odds of drawing for each unit. I talked with the game wardens and biologists. I obtained landowner lists and the wife and myself called at night after the ranchers were rested.

I never failed to draw and the different people who made the trips with me loved me because I did it all. They were the types (aren't most?) who would never go on such trips on their own because they were intimidated by the logistics.

The planning and research was as much fun as the trips-a big almost. Sightseeing was part of the trips. We usually averaged about $1200 per person, including tags.

I did have altitude sickness problems, one year almost fatal. I had to plan around that in subsequent years. My partners were never phased by that problem, even at 13,000 feet. One was in his mid 50's and scampered up and down mountains like a mountain goat, smoking his 2 packs daily still.

It's really pretty easy. I had boxes of info on most states. Colorado was next on my list followed by Montana.

My main partner's hands would start to crack the fist day out West from the low humidity, so he needed lots of lotions. I never had that problem.

The people are just as friendly in the West as you thought they were in the South. Extremely hospitable like Auburn folks.

R
R
I have done DIY in Montana and Wyoming and have found it is what you put into it. If you put in the puter time to find the public land that is not pounded and talk to the state bioligist you can narrow it down. You just have to be willing to get off the road and you will be by yourself most of the time.

I start a new adventure in ND this year with the stick and string so I understand the situation.

Good Luck

O
O
War Eagle there are always leftover region tags in eastern wyoming. They will become available in July lots of walk in hunting on the eastern side need some pointers let me know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would also throw South Dakota into the mix. It's draw only - double tag non-resident is $295 IIRC for a doe only and any deer. The Fort Pierre area has lots of Corps land available to hunt, and there are millions of acres of walk-in areas West River.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.