-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking forward to the new bullet. I can't imagine a company exchanging an existing decent line for another that is lesser in performance, especially considering that the plating process doesn't seem like a method that will expedite product delivery. Speer has surely done their homework unless they really don't care if their ship goes down - which I seriously doubt.

I have always been happy with the Uni-Cor line of bullets they sell and use them in the SP versions in their large bore revolver bullets as well as the 45-70. In these forms, they have always worked better penetration-wise than the Interlocked and standard XTP bullets offered by Hornady. I would imagine a heavier jacketed version for higher speed loads will perform well also. I just hope they can deliver their product at a price that doesn't rise significantly after initial introduction - like Interbonds did.

This was a side-by-side, wet newsprint test of two highly reputed bullets alongside the 300 Speer Uni-Cor for 45-70:

[Linked Image]

300 grain bullets. Swift A-Frame for 375 H&H, Speer (middle) and Nosler r. for 45-70. Swift: 2560 fps, 287 grains; Speer: 2450 fps, 203 grains; Nosler: 2432 fps, 237 grains. All fired into wet newsprint. Swift 18", Speer 14", Nosler 26 1/2"

[Linked Image]

These are 300 grain revolver bullets fired from a 45 Colt revolver at approximately 1150 fps. They were fired through the bone ends of the long leg bones of a mature moose and captured in wet newsprint. On the left are the XTP-Mag; next-top is the Sierra SP; the two below, also in the second column, are two 300 Speer SP; next two RCBS cast; finally two of three standard XTPs. (One of the standard XTPs was rejected by the heavy bone and not recovered.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/14/10. Reason: darned website tossed most of post

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
There's a substantive difference IMHO between an angling shot from the last ribs to the off shoulder(pretty routine and "doable" with quite a few decent bullets),and a "full length" ass to brisket attempt.

The first is about as far as I will go at an unwounded animal regardless what I am using,and have never seen such a situation that a garden-variety Partition would not handle very easily;and on the ass-end attempt at wounded game the objective should be to bust up the pelvic structure;again easily doable with a bullet of the Partition design.

Things only seem to get complex when we insist on an off-side hole which, to me, is neither here nor there.My experience is that properly-hit game does not go far enough to worry about blood trails,which frequently don't start until the animal has traveled quite a distance anyway....in which case you "know" he was not hit properly.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
338rcm Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have been talking with Coy from ATK about the Deep curl as an elk bullet. Here is his resonce

Dan: took me a bit of time to do some research on performance. I have reported the taking of elk, bear and moose with the DeepCurl bullets during the initial testing prior to production. The flat-base design penetrates well and the jacket-core bonding provide very good weight retention and controlled expansion.

Look for white-paper wrapped around your elk as he heads to the freezer.

Coy

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 66 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.