Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I received my .45-90 Marlin back from Dave Clay yesterday. This is the first one he has done. I can't wait to shoot this cannon. Here are some pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JR_Maley; 06/17/10.

The more I build up a tolerance to recoil, the more I need to get my fix.
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks like quite the thumper.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JR, do let us know how this lever gun works out ok! I am interested in the performance and how accurate it is at the range. Thanks for the pictures.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JR,

Very nice. Did David install the lever also?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
JR,

Very nice. Did David install the lever also?

No, I installed that. Its a Wild West guns, so I hope he wasn't offended that it wasn't a DRC.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wondered as it didn't look like his lever.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I want One

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sweet setup, lookin forward to the range report

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Went out and crony'd some .45-90 loads at Cresap rifle club in Frederick, MD on Saturday. I worked up from 2,664 ft-lbs up to 4,116 ft-lbs.

The powder I was using was BL-C(2) as recommended by QL. The powder ended up being a good deal slower than predicted, so the maximum pressure I reach I would guess was around 40k. That is just a guess, I haven't updated the QL model with the actual measurements yet.

For most shots I used the sled, but I shot a couple off hand to get a feel for the recoil. I would compare it to a buffalo bore .45-70 ammo.

Every round cycled perfectly through the action. The gun/rounds were extremely accurate too. I was shooting on the 50 yard range because the purpose of this trip was mainly for chronying rounds, but I was tearing the black out of the bullseye little by little every shot

Last edited by JR_Maley; 07/12/10.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Last weekend I tried Win 748. Same results, the powder was slower than predicted by QL (I think Win 748 and BL-C(2) are closely related if not the same powder with different names).

I plan to adjust the powder burn rate in QL to match the measured velocity, which my guess is will be below 40 kpsi. The heaviest load was filled to 105% of available case capacity, so time to move on to the next powder. Next, I think I am going to try H322. I am working my way up from slower powders to faster powders so I end up with the lowest pressure load that meets my performance goal.

I haven't mentioned this yet, but the first set of loads I made to scope the rifle in used RL-10X. I cooked up some loads with QL that had the case capacity filled to a little over 100%, but when I actually loaded the loads I could hear powder shaking around inside when I shook the case. This means that either the grain size or void volume assumed by QL was off.

When I took the rounds out to the range, they were slower than predicted. Normally I would adjust the burn rate in QL to match the batch of powder I have, then use the adjusted numbers to predict the pressure I was at. From there I adjust to get back up or down to my pressure goal with that particular batch. That cannot be done with this batch of RL-10 though, because both the geometry and burn rate are are variable

-JR

Last edited by JR_Maley; 07/22/10.

IC B3

G
G
Mister Maley, I have two questions. How much did David Clay charge for the rechamber? Did the two of you discuss load pressure limits relating to the Marlin action?

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I want to let dave determine a price. I think i got mine for a steal. Dave mentioned pressures higher then what i am used to hearing are safe in marlin actions. I am going to stick with 43,500 as the upper limit.

On that note. I just recenty got a copy of MATLAB software and am now thinking of installing a strain gauge hidden under the forearm to more acurrately determine the actual pressures im at. I will need an ad-da card to pick up the measurements. I want to use my laptop, so i may try and use the microphone jack to pick up the signal. I will need an amplifier for the gauge, and am thinking about using a small op amp with variable power.

I can calibrate the gauge just by hanging a know weight from the end of the barrel and compare to the calculated strain it should create at the gauge. I just want try this to see how accurate ql is, and because i get bored easy.

-JR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What kind of bullet and what kind of speed are you getting?

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Right now i am using a speer 300 gr and its making the trip at 2450-2500 fps at max loads. I am looking forward to hornady's seemingly magical leverlution powder coming out in spring. I have a feeling it will be the perfect powder to begin developing 405 grain loads.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
that would be good for an african safari i bet. thats like .375 H&H level

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I certainly am impressed with what you have in a lever gun! I am going to try to do the same with an extra rifle I have in the vault. I need some more information though, I'll PM you etc. later down the road.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I made a video of it last night, the quality is terrible because I was recording it with my cell phone. Also the ejection in the video was tough just because I was using one hand. Holding it like you would shooting it ejects perfectly. Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/13maley?feature=mhum#p/u/1/I_U_sqmFSNc

I hope to follow that up with a range video, hopefully with a camera man.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Randy I am still wanting to do something with my extra 1895 45/70 Marlin, that 45/90 is really a nice project you betcha.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have a Ruger #1 in 45-90 and use the 405 with "stout" loads of 3031. Cloverleafs at 50 yards. For load data I use the 450 Alaskan. I was approaching 458 loads, but shooting it off of the bench was no fun so I backed off a couple of grains. I have just purchased a 1895 GBL and was already kind of wondering about the conversion. The 90 case is quite a bit longer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elkmen,45/70 case=2.1",45/90 case=2.4". If you want to use cast,look at Lyman loading manual. Loads given for 500 grain cast that run from mellow to manaical. Using a 20:1 bullet and AA5744 you only want to go to around 1400 and there ain't nuttin' it's gonna bounce off of.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,268
Posts18,467,295
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.