Print Thread
Hop To
A
AFTERUM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
My .375 will extract but not eject the case about half the time. Could that little spring loaded bolt stop kickoff on the side of the rifle be the culprit? Where could I get a new one? Already tried Brownells and Midway. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check the tension on the extractor. Place an empty case against the bolt face, the extractor should move a bit to the right if viewed from above. If that is the culprit (not enough tension) you can increase the tension by slightly bending the extractor away from the bolt body (about half way from the collar to the tail end).

If you need some parts I've got a bunch of Mark X parts that may help. Let me know what you need.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
when i pull my bolt back, the empty just kinda lazily flips out.
maybe under duress, it may not fling clear.

will your remedy cure this ?

if not what do you have to cure this, and make the empty get lost in field ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Splatt:

You can certainly try it, need to be fairly aggressive when working the bolt to fling them out into the grass. All mechanical--no spring loaded thingees in the Mausers.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Check for dirt or hard grease in the slot the ejector passes through. I've had more than one Mauser come to me with ejection problems. Most times a really good cleaning solved the problem. The Mauser action is almost foolproof, but dirt or gunk can slow or stop the ejector from moving freely. One sign is when the ejector works when the bolt is moved slowly, but sometimes fails when rapidly worked. Thick grease and gunk in the ejector slot may slow things enough so the ejector doesn't have time to move outward when the bolt is worked fast.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
TexasRick is right. I've had that problem once in awhile. But it is a Mauser and it was designed to have the bolt pulled to the rear smartly to eject, otherwise it will just kind of slightly stick it out for you to grasp by hand. Which is why I love them on the range.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had the same problem in a Interarms .375 H&H. I satisfied myself that the ejector wasn't the culprit but didn't go any further. Instead,I sold the rifle.

Recently I had a .375 Ruger built on an FN action. The same ejection problems cropped up. It turned out that the cases were hitting the inside of the receiver bridge as they exit the ejection port. The result was the loss of 'ejection energy' and the case just falling off the bolt face. Sometime it would fall to the ground, other times it would fall back into the magazine. Bad either way.

This kind of problem arises when using a fatter case than the M98 was designed for.

A trip back to the gunsmith to knock the upper corner off the right bolt lug race solved my problem. Ejection is now very good.

Here's a couple of before and after pictures on an action similar to the M98

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would also try the thorough cleaning. Way back when, I used to overgrease the action of my 98. Add a little South Carolina sand and I had the same problem. Next would be the extractor tension.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jerk it open,and the case will fly;open it slow,and it barely comes out.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.