Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey fellas,

A buddy just called and wanted to know if Oregon will allow a visiting Washington resident to carry concealed if the person has a Washington concealed carry permit.

Any of you Oregoniacs know the answer to that? I'd be obliged!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
BP-B2

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think I just answered my own question. From the Oregon State Police website:

Q: I am a Washington resident who has recently obtained a concealed weapons permit issued by the State of Washington. Is my permit valid to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Oregon? If not, can a non-Oregon resident apply for a permit?
A: Oregon does not recognize concealed weapons permits from any other state. If you wish to review the law you can go to: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html and read 166.291. As you can see from ORS 166.291(8) which says "The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need," the sheriff of each county has some discretion for a resident of a contiguous state. You would need to check with the sheriffs to see what their requirements are.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Oregon law prohibits the Oregon AG fro entering into reciprocity with any other state. Other than that they have great carry laws.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon will issue CCW to nonresidents depending on the sheriff.
Malhure County won't, we tried, but we were told The Sheriff in Baker County would. It's 100 miles to Baker from here so we have not made a special trip to find out for sure.

So if the info we got is correct, find the right sheriff and a Oregon CCW can be had.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NO.

But, there was actually a sheriff from OR at the Puyallup gun show taking applications for CCW permits. I don't know which sheriff it was, but I guess he was there. For my OR CCW, I went through Multnomah County and provided my training records so I wouldn't have to take the class and fork over more money.

Last edited by Dan360; 06/19/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kind of hard to understand how a state can recognize the right for personal safety, but then deny it to visitors to the same state.

Any reason offered for such policy?

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Per that obsolete, forgotten document, the US COnstitution...states are required to give full faith and credit to the legal actions of other states. That's why you don't need an Oregon drivers license to drive in Oregon if you're licensed in another state.

But, when it comes to gun rights, we have to force the issue. A favorable decision from the Supreme Court in the MacDonald decision that is expected soon will change things drastically for the better. Keep fingers crossed.

Last edited by leverite2; 06/19/10.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Kind of hard to understand how a state can recognize the right for personal safety, but then deny it to visitors to the same state.

Any reason offered for such policy?

There does not have to be a reason, it's just the law.

Other than the out of state thing Oregon has better carry laws than Washington. In Oregon you can carry in schools and you don't have to study up on how much alcohol a restaurant serves before you decide if you should leave your gun in the car.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
True, but WA is a shall issue state and does not require some silly 1 hour training class to exercise a fundamanetal right like OR does.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
no, and washington doesnt honor oregon chl's either.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As you have surmised, no. I have mine through Umatilla county. Had to jump through quite a few hoops to get it though. Just renewed it on friday, the Renewals go fine after you are OK'ed.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well we can probably thank the Democrats from up in Potland for that stupidity..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SeanD
no, and washington doesnt honor oregon chl's either.

At least WA is still shall issue without a class for non residents.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by leverite2
Per that obsolete, forgotten document, the US COnstitution...states are required to give full faith and credit to the legal actions of other states. That's why you don't need an Oregon drivers license to drive in Oregon if you're licensed in another state.

But, when it comes to gun rights, we have to force the issue. A favorable decision from the Supreme Court in the MacDonald decision that is expected soon will change things drastically for the better. Keep fingers crossed.

Uh no. The Full Faith and Credit clause applies to legal judgments, not legal actions. Driver's license recognition is not a matter of constitutional law and McDonald won't change a thing when it comes to CCW licenses.

Professor Eugene Volokh, who is a professor at UCLA and runs the Volokh Conspiracy legal blog, put it this way:

"Thus, a state has no constitutional obligation to recognize driver's licenses from other states. I'm not sure whether there's some federal law mandating such recognition, or whether states just do it as a matter of "comity," which is to say out of a desire to work well with other states (and to get reciprocity for their own citizens). But in any event, such recognition was a democratic choice, not a constitutional command. Likewise, states can often do refuse to recognize out-of-state professional licenses, such as licenses to practice law or medicine."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If the FEDS want to control everything...

it is common sense for ALL states to honor the other's Controled Handgun Permits, or CCLs...

Few people know this, but as far as being stupid...

Oregon Requires by Law that ALL United States residents file an Oregon Income TAX each year...

Their logic behind this, is that they can prosecute someone from another state who may have had earned income in Oregon, but not claimed it to pay the Taxes on it..

they don't plan to prosecute everyone for not doing so, but leave the law open to prosecute the ones that they want to..

an example, is that if someone lives in Clark Co WASH ( Vancouver) and works in Multnomah County, (Portland)...Oregon wants Washington residents to pay Oregon Income Tax on their income.. since it was earned in Oregon and Washington has no personal income taxes..

Lets face it.. public safety or convenience is not the concern of governments, state or federal.. it is all about whether they can generate revenue off of it or not....

I love this state... but its state government, ran by liberal democrats.. is a major embarrassment...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
783 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,065 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.