-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heres a couple desert sheep my hunters have killed. Both killed in Sonora out on the coast. Both of these sheep are free range sheep, I've never done a penned sheep hunt, its just not my cup of tea.

First ram pictured nets 168"
[Linked Image]

This ram is a gagger, nets over 180" and was the first ram we ever killed on that particular ranch

[Linked Image]

Drummond

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
huntsonora,
Care to enlighten us as to what these type of desert sheep hunts typically run? Just a ballpark figure will do.
Thanks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sheep hunting.........my dream hunt, especially the desert variety, but would jump at the chance to hunt any of them. Thanks a lot Drum, scenar, and others for the fantastic pics!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

JG, Thanks!! I'll put some more up....

This was from our base camp on Glacier Lake, NWT.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Check out this bad boy.....195+ B&C..Montana.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Beautiful 10 year old ram we got in the NWT in 1991..

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

That would be Bighorn sheep tenderloins.....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

We spent 3 days trying to get this ram. There were 21 rams in one bunch. They finally worked their way to the far end of the basin where we could approach behind the ridge. We had been out about 8 days and were pretty hungry for meat. After the kill we camped for 3 days in one spot and ate almost half of the ram between us.

[Linked Image]

The first meal off the ram above..

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

That would be Bighorn sheep tenderloins.....

INCREDIBLE edible pics! I love sheep tenderloin!

The desert sheep taste fantastic, i dont know if it was the taste of the meat, the taste of a successful hunt or just the taste of the relief of that $60,000 gorilla jumping off of my back.

Regardless, one of my favorite memories was sitting around the campfire after killing and packing out a desert sheep on the 8th day of a 10 day hunt and relaxing with an Arturo Fuente Opus X cigar and a Crown Royal on the rocks talking about past experiences and hunts. One of my fondest memories

Drum

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I know this is a sheep thread but showing the fringe benefit of a Dall Sheep hunt in the NWT...390" Mountain Caribou.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by test1328
huntsonora,
Care to enlighten us as to what these type of desert sheep hunts typically run? Just a ballpark figure will do.
Thanks.

I had put it down in my original post with the pics but took it out just before I posted it. The cost of these hunts are rediculous, they start around $45k and go up from there. The sheep I posted pictures of were $60k hunts and they were 10 days long. Its one of the reasons I havent guided a desert sheep hunt in 8 years. The pressure is rediculous, the hunters know that its hunting and that certain things are out of my control but for $60k I feel a huge need to make it the trip of a lifetime for whoever books the hunt. Regardless, most of the time you are with somebody that has 3 of the 4 sheep and has saved a lifetime to fufill a dream because they were unable to draw a desert tag in YEARS of applying. It is a humbling experience to be with these guys when they complete their "Slam". Definately a memory I will always cherish

Drum

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

What we looked like after being in the bush for 60 days without a bath.....I remember when we got back to Watson Lake and got a hotel room we flipped for first shower....laffin! We got cleaned up and went down to the bar and ordered Molson's, two at a time.....each!!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Catching Greyling out of a spring creek that had never been fished. That was some good eating!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a friend that owns another paper in the state assured me if i put in for tags in the area he is familiar with he can get me to the sheep bad knees, bad back and all......so starting next year ill be putting in for sheep......may run into the problem that my buddy dies of old age before i pull a tag though.....dammit.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For us in Oregon, it's once in a lifetime draw. Odds run the the 400+ to 1 range. That being the case, I'd start saving and head north to Canada or Alaska.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Scenarshooter,

That caribou picture....wow, thats just an incredible bull. I really like sheep hunting, but a mountain caribou like that sure cant be a bad extra animal on a sheep hunt.

I cant believe its been almost 15 years since I hunted dall sheep in the Chugach, but it has been. Any sheep hunt is a very special deal...and I wont ever forget my hunt.

flying in:

[Linked Image]

We landed the cub here and there were 3 rams on the top of this mountain...2 of them really large rams. After a long night, we hiked up the green ridge just in front of the long thin strip of snow up to the ridgeline. The rams were actually behind the highest point on the ridgeline. We found them bedded in a place that was not possible to get closer than about 700 yards. We waited for about 6 hours for them to get up and feed. They fed down into a saddle and we quickly covered about 400 yards and set up for a 300 yard shot.

[Linked Image]

I took the ram I liked the best, but it was a tough choice between the two rams as they were both old...and big.

[Linked Image]

Another look:

[Linked Image]

We didnt have time to get back to camp so spent the night at the lake in the background. Pretty miserable night, half rain and half snow most of it. We improvised a "tent" out of what we had, which wasnt much:

[Linked Image]

Packing out the next day...you just have to be there to really appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/alaskapics/websize/dallpack2.JPG[/img]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Those pics are great guys. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
About 5 years ago a good friend of mine called and said he'd drawn a NR sheep tag in Montana. So, myself and another friend of mine from MT agreed to tag along and see what we could find. We found a group of 5 rams with 2 that really caught our attention. One was an ancient ram that was actually killed the next year and was, IIRC, 14 years old. My buddy that had the tag chose this ram, it scored 179 and change net...over 40 on both horns and 10 years old. What a great ram...and a great hunt, classic spot and stalk.

[Linked Image]

Another look with the 3 of us a great MT ram.

[Linked Image]

One last look...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BuzzH; 06/28/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, excellent pics all around, that is some rugged country!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buzz, That Dall is a stud.....super heavy and long....nice!!

Maybe someday we'll hunt those white rams together...

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,827 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.