Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How many sheep hunters do we have here? It's something I'd like to do someday, but don't really know anything about it. The species really wouldn't matter to me, I'd just like the experience.

If you wanted to do a sheep hunt in 10-20 years, what would you do? I don't know anything about draw odds or prices so fill me in, although all that will likely change before I get the chance to go in 10 years or so.

Anybody got any pics or stories to share?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have no experience, but my dream is to take the slam. I guess growing up reading O'Connor did it to me.

But that's far fetched, so the first I want to go after, given a choice, is a Stone, the second a Dall.

Bill

Last edited by tx270; 06/26/10.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I don't know you but I would guess that the most accessible sheep hunting experience would be Barbary Sheep in Texas.
Then I would go for Mongolia Ibex. This is a world class mountain animal that is a heck of a bargain right now.
Then I would go to Azerbajian for Tur.
Finish the score with a Brooks Range Dall Sheep hunt. Old Sheep hunters never die they just go up and hunt the Brooks Range.

Now the bad part is that all of that hunting would be less than a single Stone Sheep hunt, a single Open Guided Rocky Mountain Sheep hunt in Alberta or much less than a Desert Sheep hunt in Mexico.

Luck or lots of time and money scouting or figuring out the learning curve is connected with the last three.

Sincerely,
Thomas

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My goal is to kill one bighorn and one 'thinhorn'.

I've lived my entire life smack dab in the middle of the best bighorn units in the US, so figure one day I'll draw here.

For the thinhorn, I plan on just starting saving, and eventually going to the brooks or yukon for a dall.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I don't know you but I would guess that the most accessible sheep hunting experience would be Barbary Sheep in Texas.
Then I would go for Mongolia Ibex. This is a world class mountain animal that is a heck of a bargain right now.
Then I would go to Azerbajian for Tur.
Finish the score with a Brooks Range Dall Sheep hunt. Old Sheep hunters never die they just go up and hunt the Brooks Range.

Now the bad part is that all of that hunting would be less than a single Stone Sheep hunt, a single Open Guided Rocky Mountain Sheep hunt in Alberta or much less than a Desert Sheep hunt in Mexico.

Luck or lots of time and money scouting or figuring out the learning curve is connected with the last three.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Didn't realize we were including other sheep, in that case I guess I AM an experienced sheep hunter since I've taken about eight aoudads (barbary) in the mountains of West Texas.

Bill

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd also look at the Northwest Territories for Dall Sheep.

For a chance at a "rocky" you will need to start applying for as many permits in as many states as you can each year, build your points and keep your fingers crossed.

[Linked Image]

My first Dall Sheep hunt(NWT)from 1986. My best friend was along and we connected on these two rams out of the same bunch of eight rams on the count of three from about 150 yards. We were seven miles from camp and ended up spending the night on the mountain hudled around a fire until dawn. Memories of that hunt remain crystal clear after almost 24 years...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a chance at a "rocky" you will need to start applying for as many permits in as many states as you can each year, build your points and keep your fingers crossed.
Substitute "desert" for rocky and cross your toes along with your fingers. I've hunted sheep, just didn't have the tag. It was definitely an adventure I won't be forgetting, nor the country!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Myself and a good friend with a ram we guided in one of Montana's "unlimited" units in 2006. A large old ram from one of these units is one of the rarest and most coveted big game trophies in the entire world.

[Linked Image]

Mike and his ram, taken with a .300 Weatherby from 300 yards.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A good freind with her MT. sheep.....one of my favorite pics..

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Helped hunt this ram with a friend back in 1989. Taken with a sheep hunters classic rifle, a pre64 model 70 in .270. This ram scored 179 7/8 B&C.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Never hunted them, but have spent alot of time in their habitat, checking water sources, and making population counts.
My plan is to keep putting in for the better units I'm familar with and pray that the red gods smille on my permit applications. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stone Sheep.As far up the Skeena river as you can go.Alot less hunting pressure than hunting the Profit river or other more eastern B.C spots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bluedreaux;
Back in the late '80's I hunted the local California Bighorn sheep with a taxidermist friend who's now passed on.

Finally in '90 I bought a tag with my name on it and during the next season in '91 connected with a 7� year old ram.

After years of seeing too many hunters in the regular "sheepy" spots, I'd taken to hunting them in the old growth timber like the mulie bucks who would come into the same area in another month. It was just so breaking daylight as I was pushing up to a ridge I wanted to check out when I spotted this fellow at about 80yds looking at me with another ram behind him as well.

The old BBR '06 that I�d lugged all over 2 provinces was on him almost on it�s own, so I waited until he turned broadside to make sure he was the required 3/4 curl. As he bunched up his hind quarters to run I saw he was legal and I squeezed off a shot.

It turned out there were 3 or maybe 4 other rams with him but I never had a good look at them and initially it crossed my mind I�d muffed the easy shot. I began to pray in overdrive as I approached the spot where he�d been standing and those prayers turned to "Thank You!" as big splashes of blood on the rock appeared, confirming the 180gr Interlock had worked as advertised again.

He�d gone down after a brief run down the mountain, so I again thanked the Lord for helping me out once again and cut my tag. The first trip down, I removed both hinds and packed them and my rifle back to the pickup. When I returned, I caped him for a � mount and boned the rest out.

Incidentally, I ended up doing a European mount of the skull -we were short on funds back then so we sold the cape through the taxidermist buddy for enough to make an extra mortgage payment -yet another blessing.

Since I hunted solo, I had to call my buddy to take a picture when I got it back down the mountain, so please excuse the back of our old '80 Toyota, but it was a very "experienced" mountain truck. wink
[Linked Image]

The herd was in a downward slide at that point and even the older rams weren't showing a lot of curl. Please don't take it that I wasn't happy to get one though, that's not the case at all.

As I recall we had to wait 5 years between sheep, but in '96 the local herd was struck with a pasteurella virus that took it from over 500 animals to less than 100. They rightfully suspended the season for us, saying that it would be reinstated when the herd recovered.

Although we now have 2 limited entry lottery draws here, the season has not come back any more than that - a bit of a sore spot with some as you can imagine.

Nowadays, our youngest daughter and I put in annually for the lottery, but thus far we've not been drawn.

Thanks to all who've put up photos of their sheep hunts and I wish all the best luck to you Eric and anyone else who plans to hunt any one of the species of these grand rams.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week and stay safe out there Eric.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Dwayne---As usual a great story and a nice Ram. I dream of the day I can chase those thru the hills around Lake Chelan. Now that my son is at an age that he will be accompanying on my adventures it will be even more fun.

I put in every year and follow the Sheep and Goats in my favorite country each and every year, I know their habits and have grown fond of their rugged haunts.

They become an obsession. Last year I watched a band for about an hour fight and try to mate a receptive Ewe. I was so entranced I forgot I had my camera...oh well.

Thanks for a great story.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AcesNeights;
Thank you for the kind words sir.

Again I'm going of a bit of foggy memory this afternoon, but I recall at least one transplant of Californias from this very herd - the Vaseaux Herd - that went down into Washington State.

I don't know if the ones at Lake Chelan are distant cousins of that ram or not - but it's fun to suppose perhaps they could be?

By the way that Lake Chelan country is just gorgeous!

Thanks again and I hope you and yours have a good and safe week.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The time to go sheep hunting may be NOW. At the B&C convention, we were hearing that the economy was causing stone sheep outfitters to lower their prices.....from around $36k to about $26k. So, if you have around 150 thousand dollars laying around, you should go after your slam.

All this absolutely takes my breath away......glad I already have my Slam on the books.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't want to diminish this information in any way. If you have never hunted sheep I can tell you it can & probably will captivate you. It is all I think about. I have only had the opportunity to hunt Mouflon in Texas on exotic game ranches. I can't get enough. It is not as much the size of the trophy that matters as the experience.

I have two Mouflon's & one Dall (which I purchased from an auction). Hunting any sheep is not easy. They can go places you only dream of and do so in seconds. One of the benefits is the ability to ambush them IF they don't know you're there. They don't see so well.

I would suggest you seek a lesser hunt to see if you like it or not. My bad knee limits me severely. THere are all manner of exotic sheep to be hunted in Texas.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only guided for rockies but I'd say they see pretty dang good.

My experience is limited to here in three of Wyoming's units. I'd love to get a tag someday but am thankful that I get to go sheep hunting every year.

Everything from the country to the weather to the sheep themselves is awesome. Watching them negotiate the cliffs is incredible.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've hunted bighorns and dalls. Successful on the Dall and have a bighorn tag this fall for here in CO that I hope to fill. I hunted bighorns for the first time in 94 but was unsuccessful. Sheep hunting is addictive and once you're bitten it's hard to get over. A Dall sheep hunt is the easiest and cheapest way to go for sheep in NA. For bighorns, unless you're wealthy, putting in for different states is the best way to go on for them. Stone and Desert, well, let's just say that that is a rich man's game. There are still places you can apply for a desert bighorn, but the odds are very long. Not an option, at least that I'm aware of, for Stone.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the Cali pic and story Dwayne. Very nice ram.
I spent a lot of time workin downm in Cali country but never put any effort in the hunt really. Regret that of course. I almost killed a nice ram on a 1 day hunt in the Marble Range though. Bought a tag cause I was gettin a day off. Drove out to Jesmond and hiked a mile, put up the glasses and was focused on a full curl ram about 400 yards away.
This seemed too easy but I ducked into the trees and crossed over to his side of the valley while still in the timber and made may way 200 yards closer with no issues. It was about then I heard some voices and about a dozen boy scouts singing the ants come marchin two by two reached my ears about the same time as I saw that ram bolt into the timber. I think I would have been spoiled for good if I was able to tag that one but it was a close call for sure.

Last edited by tangozulu; 06/27/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heres a couple desert sheep my hunters have killed. Both killed in Sonora out on the coast. Both of these sheep are free range sheep, I've never done a penned sheep hunt, its just not my cup of tea.

First ram pictured nets 168"
[Linked Image]

This ram is a gagger, nets over 180" and was the first ram we ever killed on that particular ranch

[Linked Image]

Drummond

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
huntsonora,
Care to enlighten us as to what these type of desert sheep hunts typically run? Just a ballpark figure will do.
Thanks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sheep hunting.........my dream hunt, especially the desert variety, but would jump at the chance to hunt any of them. Thanks a lot Drum, scenar, and others for the fantastic pics!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

JG, Thanks!! I'll put some more up....

This was from our base camp on Glacier Lake, NWT.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Check out this bad boy.....195+ B&C..Montana.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Beautiful 10 year old ram we got in the NWT in 1991..

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

That would be Bighorn sheep tenderloins.....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

We spent 3 days trying to get this ram. There were 21 rams in one bunch. They finally worked their way to the far end of the basin where we could approach behind the ridge. We had been out about 8 days and were pretty hungry for meat. After the kill we camped for 3 days in one spot and ate almost half of the ram between us.

[Linked Image]

The first meal off the ram above..

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

That would be Bighorn sheep tenderloins.....

INCREDIBLE edible pics! I love sheep tenderloin!

The desert sheep taste fantastic, i dont know if it was the taste of the meat, the taste of a successful hunt or just the taste of the relief of that $60,000 gorilla jumping off of my back.

Regardless, one of my favorite memories was sitting around the campfire after killing and packing out a desert sheep on the 8th day of a 10 day hunt and relaxing with an Arturo Fuente Opus X cigar and a Crown Royal on the rocks talking about past experiences and hunts. One of my fondest memories

Drum

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I know this is a sheep thread but showing the fringe benefit of a Dall Sheep hunt in the NWT...390" Mountain Caribou.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by test1328
huntsonora,
Care to enlighten us as to what these type of desert sheep hunts typically run? Just a ballpark figure will do.
Thanks.

I had put it down in my original post with the pics but took it out just before I posted it. The cost of these hunts are rediculous, they start around $45k and go up from there. The sheep I posted pictures of were $60k hunts and they were 10 days long. Its one of the reasons I havent guided a desert sheep hunt in 8 years. The pressure is rediculous, the hunters know that its hunting and that certain things are out of my control but for $60k I feel a huge need to make it the trip of a lifetime for whoever books the hunt. Regardless, most of the time you are with somebody that has 3 of the 4 sheep and has saved a lifetime to fufill a dream because they were unable to draw a desert tag in YEARS of applying. It is a humbling experience to be with these guys when they complete their "Slam". Definately a memory I will always cherish

Drum

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

What we looked like after being in the bush for 60 days without a bath.....I remember when we got back to Watson Lake and got a hotel room we flipped for first shower....laffin! We got cleaned up and went down to the bar and ordered Molson's, two at a time.....each!!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Catching Greyling out of a spring creek that had never been fished. That was some good eating!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a friend that owns another paper in the state assured me if i put in for tags in the area he is familiar with he can get me to the sheep bad knees, bad back and all......so starting next year ill be putting in for sheep......may run into the problem that my buddy dies of old age before i pull a tag though.....dammit.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For us in Oregon, it's once in a lifetime draw. Odds run the the 400+ to 1 range. That being the case, I'd start saving and head north to Canada or Alaska.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Scenarshooter,

That caribou picture....wow, thats just an incredible bull. I really like sheep hunting, but a mountain caribou like that sure cant be a bad extra animal on a sheep hunt.

I cant believe its been almost 15 years since I hunted dall sheep in the Chugach, but it has been. Any sheep hunt is a very special deal...and I wont ever forget my hunt.

flying in:

[Linked Image]

We landed the cub here and there were 3 rams on the top of this mountain...2 of them really large rams. After a long night, we hiked up the green ridge just in front of the long thin strip of snow up to the ridgeline. The rams were actually behind the highest point on the ridgeline. We found them bedded in a place that was not possible to get closer than about 700 yards. We waited for about 6 hours for them to get up and feed. They fed down into a saddle and we quickly covered about 400 yards and set up for a 300 yard shot.

[Linked Image]

I took the ram I liked the best, but it was a tough choice between the two rams as they were both old...and big.

[Linked Image]

Another look:

[Linked Image]

We didnt have time to get back to camp so spent the night at the lake in the background. Pretty miserable night, half rain and half snow most of it. We improvised a "tent" out of what we had, which wasnt much:

[Linked Image]

Packing out the next day...you just have to be there to really appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/alaskapics/websize/dallpack2.JPG[/img]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Those pics are great guys. Thanks for sharing.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
About 5 years ago a good friend of mine called and said he'd drawn a NR sheep tag in Montana. So, myself and another friend of mine from MT agreed to tag along and see what we could find. We found a group of 5 rams with 2 that really caught our attention. One was an ancient ram that was actually killed the next year and was, IIRC, 14 years old. My buddy that had the tag chose this ram, it scored 179 and change net...over 40 on both horns and 10 years old. What a great ram...and a great hunt, classic spot and stalk.

[Linked Image]

Another look with the 3 of us a great MT ram.

[Linked Image]

One last look...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BuzzH; 06/28/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, excellent pics all around, that is some rugged country!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buzz, That Dall is a stud.....super heavy and long....nice!!

Maybe someday we'll hunt those white rams together...

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just a few years ago my Dad lucked out after applying for a very long time in Montana and drew a sheep tag.

I showed up in Montana about a week before we planned on hunting. Dad came down with a hell of a cold and so I decided to scout while he recovered. I looked over a lot of rams in 5 days of scouting. I took quite a bit of video and also took a lot of pictures. Dad and my Brother showed up to hunt, but Dad was still not feeling that well. We looked around the unit the first day and Dad really had a great time just looking the rams over. We never even took his rifle out of the case that day.

Toward evening we saw a group of rams that I'd photographed a couple days prior. Dad recognized the one ram as one that he'd said he liked the best out of the pictures I took. So, we decided to make a run at those rams the next morning.

Heres some pictures I took while scouting:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Heres the ram that my Dad liked the looks of out of all the rams I found while scouting:

[Linked Image]

The next morning my Brother, Dad, and I took off. It was pretty obvious right away that Dad was still fighting that damn cold. But, we just kept a slow, but steady pace and found ourselves at the top of the drainage where the group of rams had been living the previous several days. I spotted the rams right away...just as a snow squall started. We moved up the ridge as close as we dared and waited. When the snow stopped the best 2 rams in the bunch seperated out from the rest. We got within about 80 yards of the two rams and Dad was getting a little edgy. I calmed him down and told him to take his time and shoot the one in the front. Dad took his time and at the crack of his pre-64 the ram dropped and slid into the bottom.

Turned out being a real nice ram...even though it doesnt make a bit of difference, his ram ended up scoring 183 and change net.

Wont ever forget that hunt either...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/newpictures/websize/IMG_0744.JPG[/img]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thats about as a good as it gets right there....WOW!!!

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thats about as a good as it gets right there....WOW!!!

Cant argue with that...but I'd sure like to see more long-time applicants get those permits.

Oh, and it would be good to hunt white sheep one more time...maybe someday we can put something together.

I sure like the looks of that country you hunted...amazing place.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Drummond,

How can anyone born with a 'trophy radar' feel pressure? I've seen the pics of the trophies you've taken your clients to and man are they monsters! And I know you don't hunt high fenced, ear tagged animals so you must have some magical juju.

On the sheep, I'm personally a half slammer with both thin horns. Did the Stone first b/c I found a really good deal and it was one you can't draw for. Then did a dall with an outfitter who is now being sued by other hunters and the state of Alaska is looking to revoke his license for misrepresentation. So went to NWT the following year and took the dall there. Lots of good mature dalls in the NWT.

Decided to give the bighorn and desert a rest (more like my checkbook) and see if I couldn't draw one of them. Only have 7 points in each of the states... In the meantime did a Lord Derby Eland and Bongo hunt (twice) and had a great time.

My next plan is to go after marco polo and ibex. Note that I'm still putting in for the draws with hopes of getting drawn. I don't make a pot full of money and almost all of my hunts have been reduced priced hunts (the bongo and eland hunts were the last hunts for the year and man was it ever hot with bugs flying everywhere!).

For the guys that posted pics - thanks! Everyone of them is exceptional.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the information, Drum. I knew the pricing for these hunts would be in the $50-60K range but I try to keep up on current pricing if possible. You never know when I might hit the lottery. grin I can certainly appreciate the pressure that type of money could put on a guide/outfitter. It always amazes me just how much people are willing to spend to hunt the animal of their dreams or desires. Sheep hunters are definitely crazy individuals! laugh laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks again.....WOW fellas!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buzz,

What a great write-up. Nice spotter pics and even better shots of you and your brother and dad. Great way to hunt sheep, and it was a dandy!

I can only hope to do so well.

Regards,

Matt

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started hunting sheep back when the Montana Unlimited tag areas were open from the first of September through the end of November, and many years some of the units did not fill their quotas. Unfortunately, I thought those seasons would last forever, and I didn't hunt them too seriously.

I did, however, get lucky a few years and got my rams. The rams in the Unlimited areas generally are not as large as rams in the limited draw units, but they're still sheep, and it was great hunting them. These Bighorns were all DIY hunts, and most years I went in by myself.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I also did a backpack Dall sheep hunt in the MacKenzie Mountains in Canada's Northwest Territories and lucked out with this 39"+ ram.
[Linked Image]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Some tough hombres in this bunch.
Great stuff.
Thanks guys.

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In 2003 I drew a Colorado archery Ram tag. 2 days before the season my grandfather passed away. I still hit it hard but I know deep down it knocked my hunt back several notches. He was crazy for hunting.

I passed on many smaller guys and missed a chip shot at great ram on the 14th day of the 16 day hunt. Still a lifetime memory for sure. Chances are I will draw another Colorado ram tag before it is over.

[Linked Image]

The pressure can get to ya on a sheep hunt. Here is my RAM? I definitely DID NOT take enough pictures on that hunt. Don't anyone make the same mistake.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
With a stroke of luck my brother moved to Alaska. In 2006 we went but it was a learning experience for sure. We saw rams but nothing we could kill with a bow.

In 2007 we hit it hard. We watched rams come out of the feed to the bedding cliffs at exactly 9:00AM. We watched them all day bedded in the cliff with no way to get to them. When they got up to feed in the evening, we went to bed early and we were at the cliffs the next morning. At almost exactly 9:00am they came through again. I thought the 34 yard shot was good. I went and peaked over the edge without waiting. I was ready with a camera this time.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dinkshooter; 06/29/10.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Happy Sheep hunters.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
From this same mountain I had spotted sheep a LONG way away while we were watching the close rams the day before. We couldn't tell if they were Rams or not but they looked to be a in a ram spot. Just 5 white dots on really steep shale hill. With my ram down we headed out after them. It took some packing and a raft to get there. We had to spend 1 1/ 2 days in a tent in the rain waiting to see them again. When it cleared we could tell right away one was legal. My brother hung off those cliffs for several days but he never got a shot.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In 2008 we went back and there was no doubt where we were headed to. When I pulled out the spotter and counted 5 white dots on the same hillside we were off. We spent 3 days or so waiting for the rams to get to a good spot. My brother finally got the shot one evening hanging off a cliff. It was more than a little scary to watch. A huge fog bank rolled in and we waited until the next morning to go look for the ram that had fallen out of sight down a steep chute. The ram had broken about 5 inches off one side since 2007 but no one was complaining. It is one of my all time favorite hero shots for sure.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dinkshooter; 06/29/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
In 2008 we went back and there was no doubt where we were headed to. When I pulled out the spotter and counted 5 white dots on the same hillside we were off. We spent 3 days or so waiting for the rams to get to a good spot. My brother finally got the shot one evening hanging off a cliff. It was more than a little scary to watch. A huge fog bank rolled in and we waited until the next morning to go look for the ram that had fallen out of sight down a steep chute. The ram had broken about 5 inches off one side since 2007 but no one was complaining. It is one of my all time favorite hero shots for sure.

[Linked Image]

AWESOME!!!!!

Drummond

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
With my brothers ram down so fast we still had a ton of time to go looking for more. We found a valley full of rams. So many in fact it was going to be a real problem getting up into them without blowing them all out. It was 10pm or so when I decided to put on the painters suit and start up the hill like a sheep. One painter�s suit on me, and the other one on my pack. In the dim light it actually worked really well. I could see some of the rams look my way once in a while but they never spooked. They kept feeding and some of them were actually butting heads and having fun. I was able to get up the hill a ways and then get in a small depression and keep hiking. I hiked till about 1:00am and realized I couldn't see the pins on my bow sight anymore. So I slept for a couple hours under a small ledge.

As I was waking up at around 4:30am a small ram came and pinned me down for a while. After he left I climbed another � mike or so and started across and above the last place I had seen the rams. Slowly on my rear, crab crawling, get up scoot and sit, up scoot and sit. Suddenly I spotted a bedded ram about 70 yards away below me. Soon I had 6 of them spotted and was only missing the one legal ram. I barely peaked my head higher and noticed he was below me bedded at 37 yards. I couldn�t get up and shoot so I had to wait until he got up.

That one hour or so spent on the hill right with the bedded rams is something I will never forget. Just listening to the creek way below, the occasional rock falling and still being able to notice how quiet it was as there was no wind that morning. I felt like I was a ram! THis picture was taken almost right were they were bedded. A room with a view.

[Linked Image]

As it turns out I can�t shoot worth a piss sitting flat on my butt when he finally stood up. It took a little more time than you would like, but amazingly I had sheep #2!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We went again last fall. I was there only to be a sherpa if needed even though I had a tag. I wasn't gonna kill another ram till little brother has 2 smirk We didn't kill any rams but had a great time. Sadly I cannot hit a caribou either at 39 yards. The Grizz was a rush and just being there was almost as good as getting one myself.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
well done

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool...REALLY cool....stuff! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What an awesome thread! Thanks gents...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuzzH
Scenarshooter,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The backdrop caught my eye. These photos are from the West side of Tazlina Lake and Glacier, right? It's now a L.E. draw area - DS 190. Looks like you went up Klanelneechena Cr. There are a couple of small teardrop lakes on the south side.

I'll be hunting on the other side in less than two weeks. Just need to lose another 5-10 pounds and am starting to increase my training intensity.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Muskegman,

Yep, and Ed T. was my guide...you probably know him, outfitter was Dan Montgomery.

Last edited by BuzzH; 06/30/10.
V
V
I decided to buy on over the counter 300 district tag in MT this year hopefully in a couple months ill be adding to this thread!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd also look at the Northwest Territories for Dall Sheep.

[Linked Image]

My first Dall Sheep hunt(NWT)from 1986. My best friend was along and we connected on these two rams out of the same bunch of eight rams on the count of three from about 150 yards. We were seven miles from camp and ended up spending the night on the mountain hudled around a fire until dawn. Memories of that hunt remain crystal clear after almost 24 years...

Great pic of you and Wild Bill, Sako/Swift and a 700/22-250 right?

Friend called today, he drew a sheep tag in 482 the lucky bugger...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, and Ed T. was my guide...you probably know him, outfitter was Dan Montgomery.

No, it's my first time in that area. Actually, it's my first sheep hunt. Never used a guide and I'm going in self-guided with a hunting buddy. Did talk to a 24HCF member who guided my unit for 15 years prior to becoming a draw. There's only 2 NR/guided tags now for the side you hunted.

I applied on both sides of Tazlina Lake/Glacier. The west side was a 2% draw and low tags and east side is a bigger area, 4x as many tags and an 8% draw. I'm a friggin' map-o-holic. Been studying the area since I found out I drew a tag in April. You said your sheep (BTW - nice job) was from the Chugach. Didn't even need Google Earth to figure out were you were.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've killed several Dall Rams- the first on a solo 20 mile back-in backpack hunt. The second with my girlfriend along- She took hers on our honeymoon the following year - all same place. Last year we attempted a repeat- with our mid-20s younger son along, but the weather, and some other circumstances (but not age! smile ) beat us down before we could get into the sheep country.

It ain't what it used to be. Originally, this was a walk-in only area, no pack animals allowed, and 30 years ago, we were all alone back there...

Last year, there were two parties of walkers, and a horse-pack guided hunter ahead of us.... all of them successful, dammit....

We killed a young bull caribou on the way back out from our aborted hunt and stalked two other very good bulls after that on the last afternoon of caribou season before F&G closed it down by emergency order, after only 3 days. Quota exceeded!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vander34
I decided to buy on over the counter 300 district tag in MT this year hopefully in a couple months ill be adding to this thread!

So there are OTC tags available?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Kind of.
There's unlimited draw quota units.
So it's guaranteed, but you still need to apply.

A friend of mine told me the other day the story of his dad whacking a 180 ram in the unlimited unit he grew up in. Died less than a mile from their house.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Be careful about those unlimited otc big horn permits in Montana. The country is rugged which is doable but you are going to be competing with insiders and locals who know the country extremely well. I have heard that there are some Amish boys who are pretty much making a couple of the unlimited areas into monopolies as the units close after they get their rams.

It is something that you can do if you have lots of time and could spend two weeks scouting before season and pack in there a week before season to get settled and the rams settled before the opening.

Nonresident has about 1500 dollars worth of tags and licenses before you could get started.

Big Rams and Big ram hunters II by Jim Anderson has a whole section on this hunt and you can worm out other information online.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pictures and stories guys cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If they're still available in ten years that unlimited tag might be just what I need. Taking a month off work would be easier on me than spending a ton of money. For only $3000 / trip I could make it several years in a row too.

Plus in ten years I'll have 17 and 16 year old sons who would make fine Sherpas.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

I used up my lifetime allotment of luck when I drew a NM Pecos wilderness hunt the first time I put in for it. It was the most rewarding hunt I have ever been on. My ram wasn't nearly as big as the boys that have been posted on here but I had a great time scouting and hunting up there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
With a hunt like that I'd consider any ram a trophy. The experience of one of these hunts would be amazing, regardless of the outcome.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is that a desert or a rocky mlaux?
Real pretty sheep either way...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Scenarshooter,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The backdrop caught my eye. These photos are from the West side of Tazlina Lake and Glacier, right? It's now a L.E. draw area - DS 190. Looks like you went up Klanelneechena Cr. There are a couple of small teardrop lakes on the south side.

I'll be hunting on the other side in less than two weeks. Just need to lose another 5-10 pounds and am starting to increase my training intensity.

I hope your not hunting there for sheep in 2 weeks, the season doesn't open until August 10th. Not trying to be a dick but DS190 is not in the Tazlina, that's the Carpenter/Wolverine Creek area near the Matanuska and in the Chugach Mountains. Maybe your thinking of DS160?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I've killed several Dall Rams- the first on a solo 20 mile back-in backpack hunt. The second with my girlfriend along- She took hers on our honeymoon the following year - all same place. Last year we attempted a repeat- with our mid-20s younger son along, but the weather, and some other circumstances (but not age! smile ) beat us down before we could get into the sheep country.

It ain't what it used to be. Originally, this was a walk-in only area, no pack animals allowed, and 30 years ago, we were all alone back there...

Last year, there were two parties of walkers, and a horse-pack guided hunter ahead of us.... all of them successful, dammit....

We killed a young bull caribou on the way back out from our aborted hunt and stalked two other very good bulls after that on the last afternoon of caribou season before F&G closed it down by emergency order, after only 3 days. Quota exceeded!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sounds like the DCUA, I hunted there last year during the second half of the season for 2 weeks and took a smallish dall ram and a decent 47" moose. Would like to hunt there for caribou but that's a long ways to go for a caribou on foot.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by rl11
Is that a desert or a rocky mlaux?
Real pretty sheep either way...

It's a Rocky.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is my 2009 Brooks Range Dall. We packed (hiked) in 9 miles to to where we set up a spike camp. I harvested mine on the 4th day of hunting. The day I harvested mine, we gained 4600' of elevation less than a mile from camp. That is where the term "sucking air" comes from. grin

Sheep hunting changes you. There is nothing else like it.
[Linked Image]

I hope you can find a way to do it before a 10 year wait.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukonal
This is my 2009 Brooks Range Dall. We packed (hiked) in 9 miles to to where we set up a spike camp. I harvested mine on the 4th day of hunting. The day I harvested mine, we gained 4600' of elevation less than a mile from camp. That is where the term "sucking air" comes from. grin

Sheep hunting changes you. There is nothing else like it.
[Linked Image]

I hope you can find a way to do it before a 10 year wait.

Gorgeous Dall and incredible photo!

Drum

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I hope to do it sooner too Yukonal. That's an awesome pic. Good sheep, rifle, happy hunter, and giant mountains in the background.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 07/01/10. Reason: Too, not to

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I hope your not hunting there for sheep in 2 weeks, the season doesn't open until August 10th. Not trying to be a dick but DS190 is not in the Tazlina, that's the Carpenter/Wolverine Creek area near the Matanuska and in the Chugach Mountains. Maybe your thinking of DS160?

Yea, it'll be more like two months, not two weeks.

Crud, I have the supplement right here with me. I applied for 190, 160 and 165 in that order.

190 is Carpenter Creek. All those units line up in a row. Brain fart on my part.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which one did you draw?

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which one did you draw?

Like I said earlier, I'm on the opposite side of Tazlina from where the photos were taken. So it's the EAST side of Tazlina over to the Rich Hwy - DS 165. Don't think I fupped duck on that one wink

Do you know when then send you the actual harvest tag?

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bluedreaux:

Outfitted/guided hunts in Canada or Alaska are out of my budget so the one sheep hunt that I did in Colorado will probably be my only sheep hunt. It was memorable because I looked upon it as a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. I hunted for 15 days in some of the most rugged terrain that I have seen and finally connected only 1/2 mile from a highway.

The most difficult part of the experience was drawing the tag which took 11 years.

There were eight rams in the unit and this was the biggest. The photo was taken by the DOW ranger at their headquarters in Salida, when I checked it in with them.

[Linked Image]

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome KC. Did you do a write up on the hunt you could link?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Wow, I love seeing all these great sheep. I guess I better get in gear and start getting in shape and lining up a Dall hunt.

An Alaskan Dall is my ultimate North American hunt.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is my 14 yr old step daughter with a California Bighorn she took in Oregon last year. She said it was harder and a lot hotter than she thought it would be. The second pic is of the country we hunted.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I have a sheep hunt planned for next year here in Alberta. Me and a friend will be doing a backpack hunt in the Wilmore. Not expecting to get one the first t ime out,but you never know,it might just happen. Luckily I can still get over the counter tags here,although it is a trophy area so it makes things more difficult. Either way,really looking forward to it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Amazing sheep. Its unreal that she drew that tag at 14. Now the only thing that sucks is she can never put in for it again. Congrats to her on a once in a lifetime hunt.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by las

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sounds like the DCUA, I hunted there last year during the second half of the season for 2 weeks and took a smallish dall ram and a decent 47" moose. Would like to hunt there for caribou but that's a long ways to go for a caribou on foot.

Nope. Taylor Highway. They were killing caribou during tailgate breakfasts where we parked - our caribou hunting was 2-5 miles back in. Because of the over quoto harvest (NOT "over-harvest! -thank you Anchorage Daily News!- azzholwes), opening day has been changed from Aug 10 to Sept 1, I believe. It's weeks later, anyway.

Politics and PR - no real impact on the herd dynamics (85 % of the overall 2% harvest was bulls) - the ADF&G biologists gotta mind their careers (I would too)...... The herd may not even follow that migration pattern again- the first time they've done so since the reubuilding started a couple decades back.

Last edited by las; 07/03/10.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

bluedreaux:

Here it is.

In 2006, I was lucky enough to draw a bighorn sheep license, after eleven years of applications. I had applied for unit S68, which is bordered by Texas Creek, Salida, Poncha Pass, Hayden Pass and state highway 69. I had hoped to drive to Poncha Pass, which is at 11,000� elevation, and hike into the high country from there. But when I contacted the local game manager, with the Division of Wildlife, she told me that there were no sheep above timberline in the Northern Sangre De Cristo Mountains. They are all down by the Arkansas River, in that unit.

So I scouted the area south of the river between Texas Creek and Coaldale several times that summer. In June I saw six rams at the mouth of Falls Gulch and there was one with lamb tips that had not broken his nose and had no scars on his coat. He is really a beautiful animal and I determined that that was the one that I wanted. There was only one other hunter who had drawn a tag in that unit and the wildlife manager put us in touch with each other. We traded scouting reports and other information throughout the summer.

We hunted together and I thought I had a good idea of where the rams were hanging out and on opening morning we hiked into the area and must have been pretty close to them. I guess that they winded us because while we were glassing from a ridge top, on the west side of [bleep] Gulch, we heard some rocks falling. We couldn�t see the area where we heard the rocks so we changed spots and when we could see the area, eight rams were focused on us, about five hundred yards away, on the east side of the valley. There were four shooters and four smaller rams. Three rams had 5/8 curl horns that were heavily broomed and the one with lamb tips was there too. We were sitting on some rocks surrounded by open ground and we couldn�t exit the rocks without them seeing us leave. We watched them for about an hour and eventually they casually strolled away, up and over a shoulder beyond.

We didn�t see them again for over two weeks. It�s about 1,000 feet from the highway to the top of the highest ridges and we climbed up and down in the dark. This is some of the roughest country that I have seen; steep, rocky and loose. The gullies are generally a series of cliffs choked with brush, so we tried to climb the ridges and slopes when we could. We spent more hours glassing than I can count. Twice we went home to regroup, rest and prepare for another go at it. I returned on a Thursday morning and carried a loaded backpack up the steep slope just west of Cotopaxi. I was prepared to camp on top for five days. When I topped out, I peeked over the last ridge and I could see them casually relaxing in the shade of some pinions about 100 yards away. It was mostly luck after all that time of looking, to finally stumble upon them when they were unaware if my presence.

I spent several minutes composing myself, getting control of my breathing and heart rate. Finally I peeked over the ridge again and picked out the one that I wanted to shoot. Then I slipped my rifle over the rocks and shot the one with lamb tips. It was an easy shot at a stationary target about 100 yards away. All the rams started sprinting away and he tried to follow them uphill for a few steps, then he dropped and rolled back down to where he stood when I shot him. It was an easy scramble from where I shot to where he lay.

After field dressing him, I carried my backpack down to the truck and switched to a frame pack, which I used to haul him out in two pieces. The front half must have weighed over 100 pounds. I stopped more times than I can count and at each stop, I questioned my sanity. By the times that I reached the truck, my legs were rubber and I had to climb that slope again to get the back half.

I took him to the DOW office in Salida where the wildlife officers did the measurements and installed the plug in the horn. That�s where the picture was taken.

It may sound like an easy hunt; half a mile from the highway, only 1,000 feet to climb, a one hundred yard shot at a stationary target. But fifteen days is the longest hunt that I have taken and it was the roughest hunt that I have had because of the miserable terrain.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good hunt!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great story,thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's a great story. Couple of questions...

Did the other hunter get a ram and how long is the season?

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

bluedreaux:

The season lasts for the entire month of September.

The other hunter did not fill his tag.

KC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the stories guys. I want to hunt Bighorns some day before I get too old.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Me too. And Deserts. And Stones. Lucky for another Dall.

I'm gonna have to hit the Lotto.... recruit the kids as packers, subvert the wife ( the easy part - she hates/loves sheep hunting)...

Prolly ain't gonna happen, but dreams come cheap.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's my only one. 2005 Alaska DMA. But I'm waiting for the next drawing......... [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Lord I love any adventure hunt especially sheep hunting.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's a couple more pics of the sheep my friend Jim and I took on that hunt.........Here's mine.... [img:center][Linked Image][/img] Here's Jim's... [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Kennon

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am loving this thread!!!!! Thanks to those contributors. I hope to have a good story to add next fall, as I ahve drawn a Montana tag. I am beyond excited.

Keep the stories and pics coming!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here are my sheep I was 45 on the Dall and 48 on the Stone. Both hunts were flat out ball bustin endurance tests. I'm 53 now and not sure I have another one in me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want to see two fantastic bighorn hunts, there will be one on Outdoor Channel this week - Montana hunt in the Missouri River Breaks. Scenarshooter is very familiar with that hunt.

Another will air the following week. A Colorado bighorn on the Georgetown Unit.

Both are non-guided on public land. If those episodes don't raise the temp of your sheep fever, you are probably immune from such disease.

A couple pics of the rams taken on each episode.

Montana Ram
[Linked Image]

Colorado Ram
[Linked Image]

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bigfin,

Which programs will they air on?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rugernut
Bigfin,

On Your Own Adventures - Outdoor Channel.

Last edited by BigFin; 07/07/10.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Johnny, if you don't have the tag yet i'd call F&G and talk to them. I drew a brown bear tag a few years back and they never sent me the tag until I called and asked them about it. You should have received it by now i'm thinking.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice Bighorns. Thanks for sharing. The montana ram must have been short on rock hard enough to rub off his lamb tips.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BigFin
Bigfin,

Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Nice Bighorns. Thanks for sharing. The montana ram must have been short on rock hard enough to rub off his lamb tips.

We found this broomed off warrior in the same drainage as the flaring ram with lamb tips was killed.....199 B&C. Evidently wounded and not recovered..

Check out Randys show...its top notch!!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by scenarshooter; 07/07/10.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bigfin,

Thanks.

Bigfin,

I just watched the Montana Bighorn hunt, and it was great. To bad "Tank" was poached. I enjoy the show each week. I also do all DIY hunts, except for my Dall in AK, where I'm a non-res.

Keep up the good work.

Kennon

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Rugernut, glad you liked it. Today is the last airing of the MT bighorn, until it repeats again in late September and early December. Starting Wednesday will be the CO bighorn hunt. Two straight weeks of bighorn hunts to help with those of us carrying the disease.

The picture posted by Scenarshooter is him holding "Tank." He was as disappointed as I was when I climbed out of the Breaks and told him the bad news. Scenar was the first guy I met up with and we discussed how to tell Vaughn, knowing he would be sick about this. If I didn't have it on camera and video, I suspect all would have thought I had lost my marbles.

We decided to not tell Vaughn until the cameras were rolling on him, as there is no way to recreate the level of shock that he was going to have. What you saw in the show is how it really happened for Vaughn. And to think he passed that ram three times the week before, while looking for one that was possibly a slightly bigger ram. That is discipline....... or insanity, depending upon how you look at it.

Bad deal, no doubt. I think Scenar came up with 199 6/8 on that ram as he measured it where it died, while waiting for the FWP wardens. Would have been nice to see Tank adorned with the tag of a lucky hunter, rather than become property of FWP.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dang, that is heart breaking!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Starting Wednesday will be the CO bighorn hunt. Two straight weeks of bighorn hunts to help with those of us carrying the disease.

Can't wait to see this episode. A friend of mine photographed a ram that looks very similar to this one from the blacktop, when he went back the next day there were birds on a gutpile.

He showed me the pic on the Colorado Bighorn Society website months ago and said at the time that he really thought is was the same ram, hopefully he can watch the episode and figure it out.

S32 is a damn fun unit to hunt sheep in! Some gorgeous country for sure

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A real shame what happened to "Tank"

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Can't wait to see this episode. A friend of mine photographed a ram that looks very similar to this one from the blacktop, when he went back the next day there were birds on a gutpile.

He showed me the pic on the Colorado Bighorn Society website months ago and said at the time that he really thought is was the same ram, hopefully he can watch the episode and figure it out.

S32 is a damn fun unit to hunt sheep in! Some gorgeous country for sure

Gorgeous country, no doubt. I suspect this ram was not the one your buddy might have taken pictures of, unless they were at a much lower elevation and further south, the day your buddy took pics.

This was in the northern end of the unit, opposite from Georgetown. Most the people I talked to said you could see rams right from the highway near Georgetown. I don't think that area is open to hunting though, is it?

Not sure how much rams travel, but if you can tell me where your buddy took the pics, I can verify how close or far away it was. Also, this ram is more broomed on the driver's side. I can send you some photos of the other side, and you can compare.

And if you or your buddy draw, I will gladly share all I learned in a week of chasing sheep on that unit. The population must be excellent in that unit, given how many different bands of sheep we saw while scouting and hunting. Looks like CO DOW is doing a great job.

Big thanks to the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society for all their great work in CO. Same for the Wild Sheep Foundation. I hope these episodes cause more people to join those great organizations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure exactly where he took the pics but I'm pretty sure it was between Empire and Berthoud Pass.

I actually guided an archery sheep hunt in S32 last year but would never be against comparing notes as it's huge country.

The area around Georgetown does have a ton of sheep you can see from I-70, the law states that the unit is closed 1/4 mile off of the highways, I have gotten different answers of the exact definition. Some say if you can range the highway from the sheep and your 1/4 mile away then your good, others claim it's a horizontal distance of 1/4 mile but I have to question that as a lot of the really good sheep hunting is within a 1/4 mile but could never be seen from the road because of the vertical climb to get there. Some of the big chutes on Silver Plume are within 1/4 mile and I couldn't imagine that being a closed part of the unit.

Where I spent the vast majority of my time was well off the highway just to avoid any grey areas

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bigfin,

Thanks.

Bigfin,

I just watched the Montana Bighorn hunt, and it was great. To bad "Tank" was poached. I enjoy the show each week. I also do all DIY hunts, except for my Dall in AK, where I'm a non-res.

Keep up the good work.

Kennon

I saw it too. I like that On Your Own Adventures anyway, and I particularly liked that episode. Thanks for the heads up guys......and great pics.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw this post and thought I'd dig out some of the old pics. I found that I am missing two albums from my move 5 years ago! Got to be in a box somewhere?@?@
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Got a little spot that when the snow gets deep I know we can find a ram or two...

Last edited by ovishunter; 07/14/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bill's sheep had a 41 inch right and 32 inch left. Netted 184, just a neat old warrior.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dan's sheep, just a classic ram for Montana, love these sheep.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

The Coleman plastic frame, man I thought that was the best thing ever! The Dall sheep is a wolf kill that my brother and I found while staying out in the Wrangells in the winter of 1990. We could get it cut off because it was so damn froze so Greg went back the next day and chapped it off with a hatchet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The young man with the sheep got to be part of the hunt, was really cool. The second sheep is the biggest net scoring sheep I have been on, just shy of 194, little over 42 on the long horn. We passed him twice and Rusty couldn't say no a third time.

The bottom pic has a monster back in the shadow of the tree, it was shot by a gentlemen the next year and scored just shy of 196. The sheep out front aint half bad either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Me and my Dad, I was 19 years old, he had drawn a sheep tag and it was my first "real" sheep hunt other than chasing them with a camera. Not a very big ram, learned a lot from that hunt, great memories... all of them. Now to search and find the missing album!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Helped hunt this ram with a friend back in 1989. Taken with a sheep hunters classic rifle, a pre64 model 70 in .270. This ram scored 179 7/8 B&C.

I witnessed that ram when Jim had it scored. Fred King measured it twice as it was only 1/8 inch out of the book, but alas, it didn't make it either time. Jim drew another permit the very next year and he, Jim Barnett and I all drew in 1990...

Mine...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All 3 in 1990...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1990 looks like it was a good year for you fellas.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Was the Rusty that shot that ram in the same line of work as you?

I took a hike the other day off the Albert-Petty cutoff road and came out through Printer's. Took most the day and glassed nearly every hillside and ridgeline I could get a look at. Never once saw a sheep, although I did find a few bears.

Last edited by rl11; 07/14/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yet more great pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rl11,
Yep, Rusty is the retired chief of police from Missoula PD. He was a Sgt when I started and we got to be friends and hunting buddies when he drew the sheep tag.
Man, no sheep on that hike? I don't like to hear that at all, should have seen some sheep down in Printers for sure or the head end of Horse for sure. I seen a lot of wolf activity in above the meadows during rifle season, and those rams are pretty easy picking when the snow is deep.
Might have to go check the East Fork and see if they are in on the mineral lick.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had heard he killed a monster out of there at one point. First picture I've seen and never heard a score til now either.

I would've loved to have been able to run around that country twenty five years ago.

Out of curiosity, is there any huckleberries up around the old lookout?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never been many berries up there, some over on the other side near the East Fork, spot we have always called Black Mountain. I can remember chasing sheep up there in the 84-85 back when the first couple tags were issued. The real hay days were the late 80's and early 90's. Too many tags were issued for too long, but with that being said I still put in there because it is the backyard and love the area.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bump for a awesome thread.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
holy smokes, badass thread! Here's one ram I hope I can find next year... He's gonna' be big...

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My younger brother Jim drew a Montana ram permit a few years back, and connected on this dandy.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DA-YUM!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I remember that one. Outstanding!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pat, that is a friggin' monster... Congrats to you and your brother.

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm hoping that same permit shows up in my mailbox this year....grin!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat,

Can I come watch?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pat,

How long have you been applying in Montana now? I'm at 35+ years....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pat,

This will be my 46th try......now I'm revealing my age!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Pat,

Can I come watch?

Come on out! If I draw that permit, you're more than welcome!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Great memories....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went a few times when I was younger and lived in Alaska.

No matter how much food we flew in, I averaged 14 LBS lost over 10 days year after year. Mrs Walter would MAKE me go sheep hunting....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Getting ready to "Dine Out". Best red meat on the planet....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Killing me here Pat, I'm going stir crazy waiting for the season!

For all you sheep lovers, this is an awesome video... I watch it more than a couple times a month...grin. The sheep being a dandy is icing on the cake.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeez you guys,,,,,,,,, I didn't get any draws and hadn't been thinking of sheep TOO much,,but now???[Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow. Oh, wow. What a ram!

Okay, I'm already an elk addict. I don't need to be thinking about sheep.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by waterrat
Jeez you guys,,,,,,,,, I didn't get any draws and hadn't been thinking of sheep TOO much,,but now???[Linked Image]

What dreams are made of right there! Would love to have a story on that one! Amazing ram.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
28 years applying for Wyoming and 4 years for MT.... maybe one of these days I'll draw a tag. smile

Share some Pics I've taken from the South and North Fork country by Cody.

North Fork....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

South Fork....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
North Fork...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And more South Fork...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and my son standing on side of road.. 2010
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is a great thread. May as well add my update.

I lucked into an Arizona desert sheep tag a couple years back. Fortunately I had a lot of vacation time built up and got to the unit with 12 days to look around before the season started. I scouted solo for 9 of the 12 days and found a lot of rams.

I didn't see every ram in the unit, but I bet I saw a vast majority of them.

According to the harvest stats, this particular area hadn't produced a ram for 6-7 years.

[Linked Image]

I found 17 rams in there, a couple were very nice. This old warrior being one of the better ones.

[Linked Image]

Another look:

[Linked Image]

Up until about 3 days before the season started, I was making that ram my #1.

Then I found this group, in another area that had not produced a ram for quite some time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I changed my mind after a lot of consideration and made the best ram in that group my new #1 choice.

Kept track of them and watched them feed into a big canyon the night before opening day. The next morning within an hour, my buddy and I were within 80 yards of the ram I wanted. A nice 80 yard shot with my 7RM and that was that.

Just walked down and decided not even to touch the ram for a while, just enjoy the moment:

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/desertram/websize/3-P1260507.jpg[/img]

Finally got around to some grip and grins.

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/desertram/websize/IMG_0966.JPG[/img]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/desertram/websize/IMG_5112.JPG[/img]

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/buzzandpat/desertram/websize/6-P1260518.jpg[/img]

Not sure if this will work

link

Last edited by BuzzH; 03/02/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buzz,

For me, the pics and especially you just sitting there taking it in says everything.

Thank you, for the pics, for sharing, and for "doing it right". I think/hope you know what I mean.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
For all you sheep lovers, this is an awesome video... I watch it more than a couple times a month...grin.

I've seen that one a time or two, never gets old.

Great photos Sendero. I almost said "pics" but those are definitely photos.

Wow, you too buzz, that sheep is beautiful.

Last edited by smokepole; 03/02/15.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This ram was from the same valley a week later,, some years it was devoid of sheep. 2 days from closet landing spot and 2 nasty creek crossing, usually hunted it near the end of the season.[Linked Image]

P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pat,

I'm at 30 years in 2015. One of the funniest things that I have ever read in a book was in "The Life of The Hunt" when your bride drew a bighorn sheep tag on her first try. I don't remember the exact quote, but it had to do with sulking being prevented by it being a ewe tag.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"She drew a bighorn tag. Luckily, it was her second choice, a ewe permit. I say 'luckily' because if she'd received a ram tag on her first try, I'd have pouted so much she'd have divorced me."

I drew a ewe tag of my own 15 years later, but just added up how many times I've applied for a Montana ram tag now, and it's 40. Still behind Pat by a few....

Eileen did draw a Montana bull moose tag on her first try. I also got to go along as chief guide and packer on that one!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
PVT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Still makes me laugh. Only someone who has been applying for special tags for decades would understand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

This picture was a gift from the late Duncan Gilchrist. It's the Chadwick ram, and is the world record Stone Sheep. If memory serves me correctly, it was killed in 1936 near the head of the Muskwa River in Northern British Columbia. Both horns are over 50" long.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool thread. Lots of nice rams. I have never hunted them but have been lucky enough to see them several times while in Colorado.

1rst one was in 96 we were headed into White River national forest near Merideth. I was riding in the back of the truck and a Full curl and a couple of smaller rams crossed the road right behind us. None of the guys in front seen them and they never believed me.
Then back in 2002 or 03 we were in RMNP and I was glassing a line of snow way off in the distance and a small ram crossed the snow field.

Then last fall me and the wife were on I-70 going into Glenwood and there was about twelve of them right on the side of the road. Could of reached out and touched them. Always a thrill to see them.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting pic of THE ram scenar!!!
[Linked Image]This is Martin White from No Dak,, we had a good hunt together!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sweet photo, looks like that one took a little work. The old photo is in another league though!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome animals. Great stories!

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My entire youth was spent dreaming of hunting big game out west, especially sheep! My western big game hunts did not begin until I was out of college and could finally begin to afford the travel/tags to hunt. I am so very grateful for the hunts I have had, and the memories are priceless.

Only one sheep hunt for me so far- I still wake up dreaming of this hunt and the country sheep live in as in my mind there is nothing like it...

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-Regular;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red153\green153\blue153;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs26 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 [Linked Image]\
}

There is NOTHING like sheep country!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Huntr; 03/03/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got to help the same buddy out (see way above) with another sheep hunt. Here's the California Bighorn a group and I helped him with. Great week in the So. ID canyon country.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow, just takes your breath away. Great pictures again!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Stone ram, taken in BC near the Yukon Territory boundary.

[Linked Image]

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'll throw in my 2 cents. Only sheep hunt I'll likely ever do, but I sure enjoyed it. Yukon 2013.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
Then,

This picture was a gift from the late Duncan Gilchrist. It's the Chadwick ram, and is the world record Stone Sheep. If memory serves me correctly, it was killed in 1936 near the head of the Muskwa River in Northern British Columbia. Both horns are over 50" long.

Now,
The ram resides in Cody at the Buffalo Bill museum,
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And the rifle that Chadwick used, A Mauser in 404 Jeffrey of all things.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana rams,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Beautiful photos. It is far more difficult to take a good shot with a camera than a rifle. Very well done, and the animal in the last photo is truly remarkable.

Thank you for sharing.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
This California Bighhorn is a product of Oregon's "Once in a lifetime" draw. I had a wonderful hunt in country that most people would never imagine exists in Oregon.

Really a great experience.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wow. It's a wonder that guy could even hold his head up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
This California Bighhorn is a product of Oregon's "Once in a lifetime" draw. I had a wonderful hunt in country that most people would never imagine exists in Oregon.

Really a great experience.

[Linked Image]

Amazing.

I've begun to put in for that OR draw. The odds are... steep, but it's the only draw in the lower 48 that is actually affordable (to my knowledge) for a non-resident.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by irfubar
Montana rams,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wild Horse? A couple of those rams are incredible!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fine Oregon Rams you guys,,they always great and different![Linked Image]Here's a 43" X 14 1/2" monster!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^^^^giant!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll draw Colorado one of these days. I'm pretty sure I've shown this albino sheep picture here before from Wyoming:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by exbiologist; 03/03/15.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I didn't think any thread was going to beat BobinNH's deer thread! WOw!

Gents, this thread contains some absolutely beautiful photos as well as some amazing trophies. Thanks to you all for sharing!

And I have to say, I'm going to have to move my Pat Sinclair shrine over just a bit to make room for Waterat - those are a couple of the hugest Dall's I think I've seen.

So here's a few, nothing big, but any sheep's a trophy in my book.

This is my buddy's Dall from the South slope of the Brooks. Pretty heavy and smart! Tried to give us the slip, but Jim caught him with this trusty .243.
[Linked Image]

Here's mine from that same trip.
[Linked Image]

And here's a couple from the Delta Control Area in the Alaskan Range. We were over 20 miles back in. I fell is a glacial river on the way out with over 100 lbs on my back. Luckily, my buddy was able to fish me out. 10 miles is soaking wet clothes was not my idea of fun, but I was looking forward to a hot shower!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had forgotten what a great thread this is.

What do you think the odds of a ram bigger than the Chadwick monster ever being taken?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

What do you think the odds of a ram bigger than the Chadwick monster ever being taken?

Zero to none, in my opinion...

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Zero to none, in my opinion...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The Chadwick ram may be the greatest hunting trophy of all time.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I certainly agree with Pat, although I'd be interested in the scores from Waterrats just for S&Gs.

I just don't think there is any undiscovered territory like there was when that ram was shot.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I have no clue but the odds of it being taken with a wood-stocked .404 Jeffrey are astronomical.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

I have no clue but the odds of it being taken with a wood-stocked .404 Jeffrey are astronomical.
[Linked Image]

Tom Soucek photographed this fellow in the NWT about 15 years ago. He's gotta be pretty darn close!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AKbob Martins ram was 174b&c in camp and the 43' ended up at 177 if my memory serves me. I don't either was entered![Linked Image]

Here's my ram from Tok,,he was 39 7/8", that's my buddy and I couldn't get away with calling him 40,,,,,,,

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Rat,

Tis a magic number, isn't it. smile. Don't feel bad, My one and only goat is 9.9999"

Regardless, you are a stud!

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great thread! Some monster rams!

This one is from BC, an older gentleman who was like a mentor to us hunted this ram & never connected, but his buddy killed him the next year. As he was dying of cancer he willed it to my friend, who also died of the same thing several years ago.

RIP Ron Custis

[Linked Image]

Nevada Rocky deadhead

[Linked Image]

My Desert
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WeaselsRus,
The sheep skull in the tree fork, is that from Pearl peak in the Ruby Mtns?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We watched the only other tagholder in this unit wound this ram, decided to see if he needed help packing meat. He was already gone when we got there. NDOW cited him for wanton waste and confiscated the head & cape.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by irfubar
WeaselsRus,
The sheep skull in the tree fork, is that from Pearl peak in the Ruby Mtns?

Good guess! It's now in the Elko Museum. The Indians used to hang the heads that way.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 03/03/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WeaslsRus,
I used to hunt mule deer on that mtn. in the mid 1980's.
No sheep on the mountain at that time. They did a transplant in the Rubys and I understand the sheep migrated to pearl peak. i understand why it's a steep rugged S.O.B.
One day while hunting there I saw a large mulie cross a ridge just below the peak and climbed up there hoping to get a shot. He was gone, and I was so close to the summit I went ahead and climbed to he top.
I was younger and tougher back then! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's mean mofo alright, we hunt it a couple times each year. The easy part is the drive to the top. Just hunting down to the road wears you down.

Never saw a sheep there, but did see 27 goats once and some great mulies. Most sheep we see are north of Harrison Pass. Both sheep & goats recovering from a dieoff 5 yrs ago.

Did you see the head in the tree before they hauled it off the mountain?

Last edited by weaselsRus; 03/03/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
weaslsRus,
I didnt see the skull on the mtn.
I hunted the east side just south of indian creek.
Do you know were on the mtn. the skull was found?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by weaselsRus

Good guess! It's now in the Elko Museum. The Indians used to hang the heads that way.

They did indeed. I know of a ring of trees around a spring with three rams heads in them left there likely by Sheepeaters. Big Medicine.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by weaselsRus

They did indeed. I know of a ring of trees around a spring with three rams heads in them left there likely by Sheepeaters. Big Medicine.

Brad,
That's cool. was that in Idaho?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here in SW Montana.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Someday I'll draw a tag. I get around sheep quite a bit. Here's a shot I took one evening, and is my favorite. It's an untouched photo in absolutely natural, late-evening light:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Here in SW Montana.

That's interesting, I didn't know the sheepeaters were in Mt.?
Learn sumthin new everyday. smile
I know in the River of no Return country they had plenty of sheep and sheepeaters back in the day.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,417
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.