Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by okok
It's not the bikes, it's the 90% a$$ holes that ride them.

+ 1000

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lhonda
Know what? After riding his HDs a few times, I changed my mind. They are cool, and comfy--but still slow, relatively unresponsive to hard riding and expensive. Would I buy one? Probably not unless it was selling for a song, but I did learn that they ARE a helluva' lot of fun to ride.

That sums up my general opinion of cruisers. They are comfortable as hell to ride, though most have no guts and handle terribly. Granted, sport bikes aren't the most comfortable things to ride, though they are definitely fun.

I have nothing against Harley Davidson bikes, I'm just not into the whole HD culture I guess. Coincidentally, almost all of my buddies I ride with have Harleys. From what I hear from both my friends and from reading on various forums, I'm less than enthused by what I hear about Harley dealers, their less than stellar service, and out-[bleep]-landish prices. Someday I may end up getting a HD, though I'm probably more likely to get a Jap cruiser, or something along the lines of a Victory.

And, to get my little jab in, here is a Harley owners best friend:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CAPITALIST
This may sound backward, but I just can't get comfortable on cruisers in general. It seems like all of my weight is directly on my tailbone. I think I'm a little weird, but I can (and have) ride for hours on my sportbike (1000c.c. Yamaha). Big comfy seat, short reach to the clipons, and rear-set foot pegs which I prefer.

I rode my brother's 1100 V-Star (looks just like a Heritage), and I just kept trying to put my feet on the passenger pegs so I could sit up! Like I said, backward.

I hear you on that! My buddies tell me I'm nuts because I don't think having my legs all stretched out on the front pegs is comfortable. Personally, I can't see how they can ride like that, though maybe it is simply what we are used to.

I would like to take a ride on my buddy's 1200 Nightster, as it has pegs that are more akin to a sport bike, though with bars like a cruiser. It looks like a pretty comfortable riding position, at least to me.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had a 76 Bi-Centenial Sportster and it was fun to ride, but I had to work on it constantly to keep it running. I bought a new Kawasaki KZ 1100 Spectre shaft drive in 81. It is still running fine. It has 126,000 miles on the odometer, and I drove it without a speedometer cable for 4 years. I did have it stripped to the frame, sand blasted engine rebuild and punched 30 thousanths, new paint, handle bars, etc. about 8 years ago.

It came from the old "Kaw" 900 design, and I had the 900 heads installed with the rebuild as they are a higher compression head. The drive shaft has never given me any trouble. It gives me very smooth, maintenance-free, non-oil slinging performance. I've had this bike as long as I've had my wife. I'm still crazy about both of them.

This old rice burner has never once left me stranded. I did have to buy a new starter for it 5 years back, but other than that, I just ride it and put tires on it. I wasn't stranded when the starter quit, but I did have to push it off to get it fired up. That's not much fun. It handles great, stops on a dime, corners well, and will flat out scream.

I like Harleys just fine. I hear they are made to a higher standard in recent years. They are over priced, to me, but I hope you enjoy your investment as much as I have mine.

Ride what you want to. I don't care. Be safe, and have a good time while you're riding. Come see me, and we'll hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and make a run down the Dragon's Tail. I live 9 miles from there, and it's cool up there, even in August.

I do wear leather a lot of the time. I have had road rash before, and therein lies my reason for the cow hide. I use a full helmet with a face shield. I'm not into fashion, but have grown accustomed to having my face. I wear jeans, usually Carhharts, and whatever the weather decides that I need. I like Carhharts, as they are not like a cheap hotel with no Ballroom. I do have some chaps, but only use them for a long haul. When my wife is on board, she insists that I behave myself. Other than that, it's just a big dirt bike, and meant to play on. I do need to slow down though...heck, I'm 55 now, after all.

I really like to cruise, but I love to race in these mountains. If I had any smarts, I'd park it, but it's a part of who we are, huh? Besides, I can think of many worse ways to die.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Bash all you want I love my 04 Road King. Never had the hint of a problem. It's comfortable, fast enough for these old bones and has style. Who needs this "canyon carving crap"?

Most who badmouth Harleys can't afford them. Other iron is fine with me and I don't care what you ride. Please don't give me a ration about my ride.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by LongRanger280
I had a 76 Bi-Centenial Sportster and it was fun to ride, but I had to work on it constantly to keep it running. I bought a new Kawasaki KZ 1100 Spectre shaft drive in 81. It is still running fine. It has 126,000 miles on the odometer, and I drove it without a speedometer cable for 4 years. I did have it stripped to the frame, sand blasted engine rebuild and punched 30 thousanths, new paint, handle bars, etc. about 8 years ago.

It came from the old "Kaw" 900 design, and I had the 900 heads installed with the rebuild as they are a higher compression head. The drive shaft has never given me any trouble. It gives me very smooth, maintenance-free, non-oil slinging performance. I've had this bike as long as I've had my wife. I'm still crazy about both of them.

This old rice burner has never once left me stranded. I did have to buy a new starter for it 5 years back, but other than that, I just ride it and put tires on it. I wasn't stranded when the starter quit, but I did have to push it off to get it fired up. That's not much fun. It handles great, stops on a dime, corners well, and will flat out scream.

I like Harleys just fine. I hear they are made to a higher standard in recent years. They are over priced, to me, but I hope you enjoy your investment as much as I have mine.

Ride what you want to. I don't care. Be safe, and have a good time while you're riding. Come see me, and we'll hit the Blue Ridge Parkway and make a run down the Dragon's Tail. I live 9 miles from there, and it's cool up there, even in August.

I do wear leather a lot of the time. I have had road rash before, and therein lies my reason for the cow hide. I use a full helmet with a face shield. I'm not into fashion, but have grown accustomed to having my face. I wear jeans, usually Carhharts, and whatever the weather decides that I need. I like Carhharts, as they are not like a cheap hotel with no Ballroom. I do have some chaps, but only use them for a long haul. When my wife is on board, she insists that I behave myself. Other than that, it's just a big dirt bike, and meant to play on. I do need to slow down though...heck, I'm 55 now, after all.

I really like to cruise, but I love to race in these mountains. If I had any smarts, I'd park it, but it's a part of who we are, huh? Besides, I can think of many worse ways to die.

But it ain't a Harley.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Most who badmouth Harleys can't afford them.

Sheeeit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hardley's

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He tries hard to re-enforce my thoughts on HD owners.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Just ride and/or shut up

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I wonder what the modern day typical HD owner is trying to be ?

I don't know for sure, but liken it to driving down the road in a old convertible Pontiac as opposed to a Honda Accord. That old Pontiac with be rumbling and sucking gas, while the Accord will be humming in at 30 MPG...which one makes more sense, but which are you going to enjoy more?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Was that your first bike?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned several metric cruisers over the years, but my first bike with forward controls was a Yahama 1100 Custom. It took me a while to get used to it but when I bought my FXDL I almost got a 1200 Sportster instead. I was so close to buying the Sportster that all the paperwork was ready to sign before I test rode it. I never got off the parking lot before turning around and parking it. I just can't ride mid controls anymore. It feels like I'm perched on top of the bike instead of being part of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Outstanding piece of riding, that! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's one a year older than mine. How can anyone NOT love a blue smoke belching chainsaw that'll wheelie in 3 gears? wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpes8SroFck

Decked out RD cafe racer. Oh, *hell* yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEZHszz10RI

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had the 400Four...Damn I wish I still had it. Actually used to take road trips on her, once a yeat over the Sierra to Tahoe.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the 400Four...Damn I wish I still had it. Actually used to take road trips on her, once a yeat over the Sierra to Tahoe.

[Linked Image]

Classy. Here's one very similar to mine (except mine was orange, just like my RD wink ) that I really dig. Never should have sold it.

http://www.caferace.com/1978cb750.jpg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hear you on that! My buddies tell me I'm nuts because I don't think having my legs all stretched out on the front pegs is comfortable. Personally, I can't see how they can ride like that, though maybe it is simply what we are used to.

And I will never understand how you can be comfortable going down the road looking like a monkey trying to @%$# a football!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by Bristoe
..but I wouldn't dress all up like Black-fuggin-Beard the pirate everytime I went for a ride on it,...as seems to be customary.

That's less gay than the crotch rocket guy wearing the chartreuse and lime green leather jacket that's two sizes too small and a full ninja helmet.
laugh laugh laugh touche!!!!

Originally Posted by akjeff
Some interesting responses, and it's remained fairly civil.

As expected, most of the detractors have basically zero first hand experience, and most of their negativity is based on the usual "my brother in laws best friend" or a "good buddy of mine" type thing. I get a big kick out of those who claim a Harley won't handle. Check out a few YouTube videos of some LEO Motor Officer rodeos. I'm also guessing the "chicken strips" on my Road Glides tires would compare favorably with that of guys driving Gold Wings, and their equivalent.

Always a pleasure to hear the usual Harley rider stereotypes. I guess I'm the oddball H-D rider. I have a job, no tatt's, short hair, and I don't refer to my wife as my "old lady" or "seat meat". Don't dress like a pirate either, just protective gear, for the possibility of a crash.

As for reliability. I've logged about 100k miles on several Evo powered H-D's, and now have 6k on my new Twin Cam powered bike. Thus far, I've never had a break down, of any sort. Nor have any parts "vibrated off" any of my bikes. Can't say the same for the BMW R100R I put about 15k on. It stranded me along side the road with electrical problems twice.

The hostility towards foreign bike riders must be a regional thing. I've never seen a brand x rider get hassled at any of the H-D dealerships up here. Pull into the local Kaw/BMW/Triumph dealer here on a Harley if you want to feel the cold shoulder. Talk about snobbery.

Ride safe guys, whatever you're riding.

Jeff
Good points Jeff... On a similar vein; show up at an ATA shoot with something other than a K or P gun and all you'll see is nose hair... laugh

But I digress.. The '09 Ultra Classic I have now is by far the sweetest machine I've ever been on. And I've had Suzy's, Kawas, Triumphs etc all my life.. None were as comfortable as this machine. And the 96 has enough power to do anything I need done.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKMLZXA8LJY&feature=related

I don't hate Harley's or thier owners,this is funny as hell though.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 3,070 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,207
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.