Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just got a square back canoe last week when they were on special at Crappy Tire. What's old is new again, because I used to have a Coleman Scanoe when I lived in NB.

They are handy for getting to spots across lakes where the hunting pressure is low. Despite having a 800-900 lb capacity, moose calves take a couple of trips because of the size. I've never had the opportunity to transport anything over 350-400 lb. with one.

An added plus is the fishing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've only fished from mine, haven't hunted from it yet. Talked to a fellow who drifts a river in his, looking for bears. He gets one pretty much every year, so it must work!

Can be a near-silent approach...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used it for ducks as well.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Steve: For years a 20' wood and canvas Chestnut Jock series canoe
was my preferred means of moose hunting rivers in N.E. BC. No motor as this was a double ender and I poled/paddled quite a few moose off of rivers like the Beatton, Prophet, and Peace. Great way to get where river boats couldn't. Done with that now due to age. But, the trips were great while it lasted.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I cheated with this boat and bought a trolling motor. Paddling is fine, but when you get tired it's nice to have something to get you back to camp. Silence is good, whether it's hunting, fishing or just sight seeing.

I've never been duck hunting. I was always scared this would happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDp3gvapmc

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn them ducks are nasty. Good beer commercial.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Shot a moose from a 14 footer with a couple other guys in it with me. Rear end was in about 4-6" of cold water. Didn't alter the taste of the moose though. Have also used a 18 foot Grumman.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgive me, but if the water was up to your rear end that would be more than 6 inch right?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still maintain you only shot once at that bull.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Forgive me, but if the water was up to your rear end that would be more than 6 inch right?

Not when you're sitting on the bottom of the canoe, and I have one of those low aspect ratio butts. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by medicman
I still maintain you only shot once at that bull.
Randy

Gigglin'! Great time, that! Too bad Dad never connected.

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thnk like a Dad for a minute. He connected.

We are happier when our kids connect than when we do, right. We were always his boys, Keith.
Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally used canoes for duck hunting back in the days when I still did that. Later used them for moose hunting. On small bodies of water they are a great way to get around and quiet.

Back in the '70s two of us were bringing out half a moose using an old 1.1 hp motor for propulsion. About 2 miles from our destination they motor conked out and couldn't be re-started. We blew back about .5 mile due to a strong headwind. We finally started to paddle for our lives. We made it in but my arms were like spaghetti when we got there. The next year I used a more modern 6 hp motor mounted on an outrigger hooked up to two canoes. This worked much better.

The next 10 years were spent hunting in Wyoming where boats were not needed. When we got back to hunting in Ontario we were hunting big water where big motorized boats were the preferred method of travel.

Jim

J
J
I went on a sheep hunt up in the northeastern part of the Yukon near where the Artic Circle and the MacKenzie Territory and Yukon Territory all come together. We crossed the Bonnet Plume and Snake Rivers many times and it got me looking into accessing those areas via canoe. In the process, I found an outfit that will fly you and your pals along with an expedition type canoe (like an Old Town Tripper) as far up the Noatak River in Alaska as you care to go. From the headwaters it is 2 weeks to Nome and the river is all class 2 which pretty much means "no portage needed." Always wanted to do that. Two or three boats. 4 or 6 guys hunting and fishing. I got into flatwater and whitewater canoeing because of that sheep hunting trip to the Yukon but never did the Noatak. It's going on my "bucket list."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jaybird

Welcome to the fire. One bit of advice regarding the bucket list. Treat it as a need to do versus a when I get to it list.Life goes past more quickly than you can imagine.

Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last time I hunted out of a canoe was for squirrels as that and ducks are all you can shoot from a boat down here. My boss wanted to go and was seated up front with a shotgun and me in the back with a Ruger .22 pistol. Something about "don't shoot, don't shoot' that igmoe didn't understand so he turned sideways, shot, and we turned a flip. Colder that a welldiggers butt we finally got everything back in after turning it back over. Last time he ever went in a boat with me. Don't even think that my 19 center console is big enough for that ijet..BG

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

We are happier when our kids connect than when we do, right. We were always his boys, Keith.
Randy

You always were way more philosophical than me, richer and better lookin' too -- almost as good a son as . . . . W , , , , well you know. laugh Still doesn't change my mind about wanting Dad to drop the hammer on a moose with his boys there.

Brother Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
hunted moose and bear from canoes. huge fan.

The Mountains Are Calling And I Must Go
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Randy

You always were way more philosophical than me, richer and better lookin' too -- almost as good a son as . . . . W , , , , well you know. laugh Still doesn't change my mind about wanting Dad to drop the hammer on a moose with his boys there.

I thought he shot the cow that year. The one down by the narrows on Margaret Lake. Altzheimer's is a wicked thing. That old man gave us a wwealth of rich memories.

Randy

Lester Roloff
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used a Coleman Scanoe for many years while hunting moose during the calling season in the Cumberland delta in Saskatchewan. Nothing is better for the task. Paddle out sneaky and quiet each morning, and use the 2hp Evinrude motor to zip back to camp for lunch or to haul meat. Too bad we don't have a Sask. resident calling season any more in that region.

Last edited by castnblast; 06/30/10.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.