Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dam! Them mulies are mean SOB.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Your fool with my "kids" and I am going to stomp on you.
Just like a momma rabbit going after a rattle snake when it get to close to the babies. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
n007;
I hope this finds you and yours well on the Island this fine and slightly damp afternoon.

As you mentioned it happened in Cranbrook where the mule deer have apparently moved into town in a big way. I was on gunnutz when I first saw it and will have to say I found some of the responses enlightening to say the least.

Urban deer have been increasing to the point of becoming problems in the Okanagan since the late '90's I'd say.

Deer in close proximity have been a reality for us since we moved onto our small acreage 18 years ago. Some of the first lessons we taught our daughters were to watch for deer and then to watch them once they were spotted.

Last spring we had at least 2 sets of twins born on our place, one set becoming regular visitors to the yard. One day the doe was training both the fawns how to chase cats away! grin

Our cats which were involved in the lesson were not amused. wink

One or two folks on the other site figured the cat was just trying to figure out how to eat the fawn and having watched cats around marmots and rabbits they've taken down, I'd concur.

As far as the dog goes, I've seen the very end as two small Spaniel sized dogs took down a young whitetail buck - right across the street from the Midway Hotel.

While the dog in the video might not have had the wherewithal to do much to the fawn it must have smelled the same to the doe as a dog that could. Timing can be everything can't it? frown

Anyway, the video is a pretty clear example of animals acting how they act everyday -from what we've seen over the better part of two decades living with mulies.

Thanks for the link and have a great weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Pop Quiz: You see a terorist mulie doe doing grievous bodily harm to your dog. What do you do?

Answer: Shoot the terrorist. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Quiz:

You shoot a terrorist in downtown Cranbrook, what do the cops do?

Answer:

You better have your lawyers number memorized and not plan on doing any hunting or owning of firearms for the rest of your life.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Archery -- the silent killer!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brother Keith;
Not that I'd ever resort to such a thing - as it could be construed as harassing wildlife in the broadest sense of interpretation - but I've heard a slingshot with marbles can be a wonderful tool to get deer to understand where they need to be at that moment.....

Again though, that should be viewed as unsubstantiated rumor. grin

Seriously though, if folks think that doe was a terrorist they should try to take a calf away from a range cow for light weekend entertainment. That or doctoring a range bull who really doesn't believe in his heart of hearts he needs the physician's healing touch can be life altering experiences. laugh wink

Some folks need to get out more I guess?

A good friend who is now passed on would tell of a time in his youth in the Kootenays when a buddy tried to take a moose calf away from it's mom. Tried being the operative word!

I hope you and yours have a good weekend Brother Keith.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cheez I better watch my back. There was 3 elk in my yard this morning. LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Apparently there is no emoticon for tongue in cheek. I like that hypothetical cure of marbles and a wrist rocket though. Someone ought to try it sometime. grin

Brother Keith

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have your dog leashed.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or trained to move when getting the crap kicked out of it. The dog really wasn't giving the deer a hard time, just inquisitive.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lucky for the deer, cause many other dogs would retaliate.

Last edited by slg888; 07/03/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dogs are supposed to be leashed.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

We use a wrist rocket (sling-shot) and paint balls around here.

Works fine.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.