Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
What's the word on this cartridge? I have a chance to get a nice one at a good price. Can I shoot factory 375 ammo in it in a pinch? I'll use it for elk and bear, and to dream of Africa. Thanks, Okie John.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John,<P>The 375 Ack is a great cartridge. Mine would shoot 300 grain SAFs at just under 2800 fps from a skinny 24" factory barrel. It would shoot moa with this load.<P>You can indeed shoot factory 375 H&H ammo in an Ack. In fact, you'll have to fireform brass from std 375 H&H cases. My gun started life as a 375 H&H, then I had it rechambered. I shot some 300 grain factory ammo through it before it was rechambered, the shot that same amoo from the same box through the gun after it was rechambered. It lost 40 fps. Accuracy was the same.<P>Blaine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick, <BR> I for one have been patiently waiting for you to repond to this topic;-). What gives? I seem to remember you have a .375 Ackley in your inventory. What do you think? Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick's out hunting blacktails right now. I got to shoot his 375 H+H AI while I was up there. I watched Big Stick kill a huge bear with it and then I smucked a crow with it. I think part of the crow landed in Russia and other parts in Canada and the lower 48 states. It was impressive. Most impressive however is the fact it really doesn't kick all that bad. I don't know that it needs to be improved as the 375 H+H is pretty good on it's own. However if you want to hot-rod your rifle I say go for it. Heck, I'll be making the same decision over my own soon-to-own 375 H+H.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Sky, <BR> Thanks for the input on Sticks whereabouts. Would hate to have to classify him as awol;-). <P> I would imagine I'll keep my .375 H&H in the original version and try to shoot up to the cartridge and rifle. Personally don't find the recoil of the .375 H&H objectionable though I don't really want to add to it if I can help it. I know the .375 AI is essentially similar to the .375 Weatherby rather than the .378, however, I've gotten all I want of the .378 and I consider the rest guilty by association;-).<P>Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you sue it is a 375 H&H Ackley or a 375x06 Ackley?????<P>Two completely different cartridges.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Terry,<P>Your question,is why I missed this thread. From it's Title,I assumed it was a discussion on the '06 based round. Due to that assumption,I never chimed in,as I have had no dealings on that cartridge.<P> On the 375H&H Ackley,I've had some experience. Currently,I have two of them and love them both. I'd sum the cartridge up,as being more of a good thing. I believe that the "more",makes this cartridge GREAT.<P>I'm an Ackley fan,most could have guessed that. I think the 375H&H Improved,makes a good deal of sense. First,I don't want to listen to the "Purist's Standpoint",how the straight up 375H&H is the darling of the Civilized World. Hell,it's a great cartridge,EVERYBODY knows that.<P>I see the Improved version as the most effective means,to eek the goody out of the H&H case design. It is a no fail Wildcat. You can shoot Factory stuff(standard 375H&H fodder),both in a pinch,or to form Improved cases. When optimizing the formed case,it adds enough snort,that it doesn't go unnoticed on Game(my opinion).<P>There are many variables,associated with all rifles,but I'd say 200fps is a realistic performance gain and some rifles with longer barrels,may do better than that. <P>What suprised me here,was the failure for anyone to add,that Weatherby is now reintroducing their 375Wby. That's Roy's version of the H&H Improved case. It too,is a dandy and will likely go a smidge faster than it's Ackley Improved counterpart,due to their free-bored throating. The 375Wby may be worthy of consideration,being Factory ammo is available,that may put some folk's minds to ease. Personally,I like the 40 degree shoulder and shorter throating of the Ackley version,but that is hair splitting.<P>I'm of the opinion that the original 375H&H and the 300H&H absolutely BEG to have their cases Improved. Essentially,the Improved 300H&H is the 300Wby and it is NO slouch(in case you were wondering!). So this is nothing new and makes even more sense now,with the advent of Today's better propellants.<P>A 270gr XLC or FailSafe and some Re-15 in the Improved case,will leave a lasting impression on Game. I don't see a single mechanical reason not to do it. Purists will have some Romantic Notion,to leave things alone. Personally,I think the Improved case design,is a better mousetrap and the route I've happily gone.<P>Here is an idea of the 375H&H Ackley as compared to the 300Super(30-8mmRemMag). Both are Improved case designs on the H&H's initial offering. Both yield significant performance gains. <P> [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1497986&a=11300933&p=56164287[/img]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Big Stick. Why the Fail Safe bullet, and not the "blue" bullet ? E

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
E,<P>Because E4E,made me a GI-HUGIC deal(THANKS Pat) on the .375" 270gr FailSafes,when they were Spring Cleaning his store. The FailSafes happened to be loaded and I laid one of them in the scanner bed,with the 300Super and it's 165gr XLC.<P>So it wasn't a preference,nor an X shortcoming and I was curious about the .375" FailSafes anyhow. I'd tell you how they worked,but I haven't recovered one! That load "gas-tanked" a very good sized Bear this Spring and exited. I'd guess it was at least 4-1/2 feet of penetration,from a 30yd poke. Seemed to work(grin).<P>Once out of E4E's generous supply,I will be squirting the more familiar blue colored projectiles. To be honest,I've never shot the FailSafe in any other diameter either. I could see no reason,to change what I know to work. That of course being the X bullet.<P>If it ain't broken,I don't tend to fix it. This being an exception,for reasons mentioned($). I didn't figure the FailSafe to be much of a gamble and thus far,it shows merit..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,222
Posts18,466,460
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.