Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've always heard of poor accuracy for single shots and lever actions blamed the two piece stock.

But AR15 has a two piece stock and a two piece receiver, and can be made to be pretty accurate.

Must be something else. smile

Bruce

BP-B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I love the singleshots and have written several articles about them. Their weekness is two piece stock and the forearm. The S/S's that shoot well are those whose forearm is not directly attached to the barrel. The forearm should ride on a hanger that comes off the action. Even as in bolt rifles, the barrel's relationship to the forearm is crucial. The Browning B78 can attain tremendous accuarcy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not knocking Rugers, but I have to say I rarely if ever read any accuracy issues w/Brownings. I believe IIRC, my Low Wall had a Floated bbl, perhaps not. I do not believe it has the ejector and accompanying hanger bar/spring, etc. that affects bedding and tension/vibration, during the shot cycle.

I admit selling my Low Wall left regrets......as a few other rifles in the past. Can't own/keep them all I suppose.

That said, I have ZERO reservations w/Rugers.

Ed, congrats you have a great shooter in that K1A. 6.5's just WANT to shoot well wink Esp. the Swedes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guessing the most accurate of all is probably a single shot bolt action. Just basing that on what a lot of BR shooters use. Hope that helps. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I use single-shots for 95%+ for competing, shooting and hunting.
I don't hunt dangerous game.
I have a falling block action, but its forend is completely free-floated-It does great in the accuracy department.
Most of mine though are single-shot bolt actions-Just about as good as it gets.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
This question concerns the inherent accuracy between bolt actions and single shots. It would seem that single shots have the edge based on the simplicity of their design. Their are no actions to true, bolts to tweak, magazines to fret about OAL's and the like. Yet, we all might agree that reality doesn't support this. Both action designs seem to have their own demons to deal with. But, due to the simplicity of the single shot, is it easier to fine tune them based on the limited number of issues to resolve? Bolt actions on the other hand, have more "moving parts" and therefore more problems to deal with.
What are your thoughts?

I had four centerfire benchrest rifles, and all were bolt action, single shots.
Never saw one single shot lever gun on the circuit.
In Rimfire bencrest shooting, I have two Martini Mk II's that will hold their own in competition, but, ultimately, the winner's circle will have one of the custom rimfire single shot actions in it. I also have a Suhl 22 RF target rifle that will be very close to the winner's circle, but won't quite make it at the National level.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
415 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.