Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hi I went to SCI Reno this year focusing mostly on a cape buffalo hunt, but I want to start planning for a brown bear hunt, probably Spring 2013. Any recommendations for a trophy brown bear hunt on Kodiak Island?

Thanks,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

BP-B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don't recall the exact area numbers, but look at either the headwaters of Uganik Bay or, my favorite, the southwest side of Uyak Bay, just north of the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge.
I'v deer hunted in those areas and have seen some BIG bears there. Just over two ridges from Uyak Bay to the south/west is Karluk Lake. Plenty of sockeyes come into that lake, giving a great food supply in addition to the blacktail deer.

Good hunting!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you opt for a truly large brownie, I strongly feel that you should hunt the first SPRING hunt available.
The leaves are off the alders allowing for better glassing and the days are much longer in length.
The biggest boars are generally the first to come out of their dens if you go later, you will see more bears, but you will see smaller ones and might be tempted to shoot something less than what you are after.
Also if you go later, you will see rubbed bears that you will truly regret shooting.

Hunt Kodiak Island or the south
western most part of the Alaskan peninsula.
Forget about southeast Alaska, they just
don't regularly produce bears that compete with the best from Kodiak or the Peninsula.

I hunted my big bear with Brian Peterson.

http://www.ugakbay.com/

He is a very honest, hard working guide with a real
honey hole on Kodiak.
He was very reasonably priced at the time.
He offers a 14 day hunt!
Brian was on the board of directors of the Alaska Professional hunter's Assn.
He has MANY years of guiding under his belt

I took my 10 footer with Brian Peterson (907) 783-1886 Girdwood, AK 99587
[Linked Image]

Other great Kodiak choices would be:

http://www.huntalaska.com/

Choice #1 is Scott Mileur Truly a legendary guide on Kodiak,
Most honest, tough, hard working guy you will ever meet
PERIOD.
LOTS of GIANT bears under his belt.
He hunts the legendary area of Olga Bay where Pinnell & Talifson trained him. He too offers a 14 day
hunt for the price. (VERY IMPORTANT!)
I would go with Scott if my life depended on killing
a giant brown bear.

Friend of mine killed a nice 9'9 bear with Scott and got to meet Morris Talifson many years ago.
I know Scott and have talked to him for many years at the different hunting conventions.
HE IS SUPERB.
I would have gone with him but I just couldn't afford it at the time.

Dennis Harms is a stand up guy with lots of big bears under his belt.

http://www.alaskakodiakbearhuntingsafaris.com/

Dick Rohrer is a Kodiak legend, his son Sam has taken over..

http://www.kodiakbearcamp.com/hunting.html

Alaska Peninsula...

Butch King

http://www.wildmanlodge.com/Hunting%20Photos%202006.htm

Has taken TONS of monster bears, but his hunts are short and he runs a lot of hunters through his area,
but he does really well.

R&R guide service does a bang up job on Unimak Island as well.

http://www.rrhunting.com/unimak-brown-bear/

Train like you were going sheep hunting, you won't be sorry.

I hope you can obtain one of these hunts.
They are adventures of a lifetime, you will never regret it.

Good Luck.

Proud NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks so much!

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Forget about southeast Alaska, they just don't regularly produce bears that compete with the best from Kodiak or the Peninsula.

Now there you go hurtin' my feelers . . . but you're right . . .

That is a very nice bear Salmo.

The one point I think you're forgetting is that guides are not guaranteed any tags for Kodiak. I think all non-res have to acquire the tag thru the draw. So - (1) you need to know what units your guide hunts, and (2) figure out the on-line application system. You do have to buy a NR license to apply, but don't have to pay the full tag fee up front, only a nominal fee for each species and each hunt.

If you're playing to draw game, you might as well apply for Musk Ox and Bison.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On a positive note you will have enough money left to have a full body mount of your 9' brownie taken in SE vs Kodiak.

I am jus sayin' smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Forget about southeast Alaska, they just don't regularly produce bears that compete with the best from Kodiak or the Peninsula.

Now there you go hurtin' my feelers . . . but you're right . . .

That is a very nice bear Salmo.

The one point I think you're forgetting is that guides are not guaranteed any tags for Kodiak. I think all non-res have to acquire the tag thru the draw. So - (1) you need to know what units your guide hunts, and (2) figure out the on-line application system. You do have to buy a NR license to apply, but don't have to pay the full tag fee up front, only a nominal fee for each species and each hunt.

If you're playing to draw game, you might as well apply for Musk Ox and Bison.

Not really on the draw stuff...

In order to apply you have to have a contract with a guide... They will usually handle the details for you... Because they have exclusive guiding areas they control who can apply. The draws are 100% for nonresidents applying through a guide contract. If someone cancels they can put someone else in the spot, despite the draw.

The entire thing is a bogus pretext to hide the fact the resident hunter might draw a tag every 5-10 years.

Oh, and the AK Supreme Court tossed exclusive guide areas as unconstitutional many years ago and the AK pro hunters assoc. is making another run at getting them back...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted my big bear with Brian Peterson.

http://www.ugakbay.com/

He is a very honest, hard working guide with a real
honey hole on Kodiak.
He was very reasonably priced at the time.
He offers a 14 day hunt!
Brian was on the board of directors of the Alaska Professional hunter's Assn.
He has MANY years of guiding under his belt

I took my 10 footer with Brian Peterson (907) 783-1886 Girdwood, AK 99587
[Linked Image]

I have also hunted with Brian (goats) and I agree, class act. I would touch base with him. Bears are his passion and he does well.

D
D
Most trophy class bears come from south end of kodiak island. Not all but most. So if this is waht you are after concentrate on south end. You will pay 15-20,000 for these hunts. The master guide with the exclusive area is guarnteed a certain number of tags for spring and fall and non residents still have to apply for those tags and have to have a contract in place before application to the state. A nonresident license is required and is $85 dollars. Paul Chervinak with Kodiak Outdoor Adventures

http://www.kodiakoutdoors.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2&Itemid=2

is another very good choice for the south end Trophy brown bear and my choice for a true local expert that lives there full time!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on Paul Chervenak.

I hunted with him in May of 2008 and he and his guys did a fantastic job.

PM me if anyone would like more details.

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have hunted Brown Bear with both Scott Mileur and Dick Rohrer...both are excellent!

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it were me, I would opt not to hunt the first hunt in the spring. I've had many of my friends come home empty handed because they went early in the spring and the snow was too deep and too far down in the lower elevations.

Granted the hides would probably be prime but your taking a big risk with the snow. I know one hunter who has been there several times and he told me he will probably never do another Kodiak spring bear hunt.

I would do a spring hunt but I would probably go anytime from the first part of May to mid May but again, it all depends on the snow levels.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I agree with the May 1- 15th dates for the same reasons as AkMtnHntr ...my hunts were during this time and hides were ok...

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
[Linked Image]Kodiak Bear with Scott Mileur

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You do have a very good point Akmtn.
I was lucky and had mild early springs on my hunts.

OU76.
You have lived the life, love yout pics.
Scotty is one helluva man isn't he?
One damn tough man that loves the land and the game he pursues. I admire him greatly.
I'll bet you had the hunt of a lifetime with him.

Proud NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I hunted with Scott twice...got 2 good Kodiak Bears and 2 Skita Blacktails...and yes he is one hell of a guide, person...he works his rear off for you...he guided me both times...Spring and then a Fall hunt...and now that I have 2 "new" knees...well I may just go back for a 4th Kodiak Bear!! Being of the old school I loved the stories about Bill and Morris...the last of the great Brown Bear men...well maybe there is one more...Scott Mileur!!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.