Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4240647 - 07/13/10 11:30 AM Hunting in Africa with a 22 Long Rifle
ar15a292f Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Indiana
Does anyone have a stories they would care to share about hunting in Africa with a 22 long rifle? What rifle did you use? Did you bring your own or use the camp rimfire rifle? What ammo did you use, solids or hollow points? Standard, high or hyper velocity? What did you shoot, francolin, dik-dik. Thanks for sharing.

CI16728
#4241042 - 07/13/10 02:38 PM Re: Hunting in Africa with a 22 Long Rifle [Re: ar15a292f]
JJHACK Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Touchet Wa. & Ellisras South ...
In RSA the .22 is a Poacher tool and requires a permit to own one or hunt with one. There are plenty around, but I can tell you one fella a neighbor had some .22 shells on the floor of his pickup. He did not have a .22 permit, or own a .22 rifle.

The took him in, pulled all his firearm permits, and he was facing severe financial penalties for this violation, not to mention the loss of all his guns and any future firearm ownership permits. All for having a couple .22 shells that fell out of a box, or pack and were left on the floor of his bakkie.

The .22 rimfire in RSA has rather limited legal use as a hunting rifle.

Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted

#4241101 - 07/13/10 02:51 PM Re: Hunting in Africa with a 22 Long Rifle [Re: JJHACK]
pinotguy Offline
Campfire Regular

I could be mistaken on this, but I believe the situation is very similar in Namibia. I'm fairly certain that Namibia does not permit .22 rimfires to be temporarily imported under any conditions. I'm not too sure about its practical uses in Africa, especially for foreign hunters. It might be different if you lived there and hunted for the pot. To me, a shotgun, with appropriate loads, would be a much better choice for wing-shooting (even guinea fowl or francolin) and the small antelope - dik-dik and duikers in thicker bush.

#4241134 - 07/13/10 03:02 PM Re: Hunting in Africa with a 22 Long Rifle [Re: pinotguy]
FOsteology Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Texas
Last year in Namibia our PH lent my son his old BRNO (Model 1 IIRC) .22LR and a box of RWS 40gr. HP

We spent the better part of an afternoon chasing down guinea fowl.

Ironic.... my son spent several days hunting PG and was successful on Kudu, Wildebeest, Gemsbok, etc.... but the afternoon hunting guinea's was by far his most enjoyable part of the entire Safari.

#4242361 - 07/14/10 03:21 AM Re: Hunting in Africa with a 22 Long Rifle [Re: FOsteology]
LT_DAN Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: south-africa
wow i cant remember how many things i have hunted since childhood with my fathers Bruno model 2. today in own this rifle and it still accompany me often on varmint hunts. my son loves this rifle as much as i did. shot a vervet monkey lots of guinea fowls puff adder ground squirrels and jackal with it. i recently took a couple of jackal with it. there is something special about taking a jackal with a .22. silencers are very legal in s-africa one dont need any permission or paperwork to get one. shooting your .22 with a silencer and sub-sonic ammo you can have hours of fun shooting all kinds of critters. some young jackals i took:

photobukcet

Edited by LT_DAN (07/14/10 03:27 AM)

#4242368 - 07/14/10 03:32 AM Re: Hunting in Africa with a 22 Long Rifle [Re: LT_DAN]
LT_DAN Offline
Campfire Regular

a couple of spring hare all with ,22 photobucket

#4243055 - 07/14/10 09:28 AM Re: Hunting in Africa with a 22 Long Rifle [Re: LT_DAN]
medicman Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Ontario Canada
The spring hare is an amazing animal.Are thy edible like NA rabbits? Those rear legs would be meaty

Randy
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff

#4255966 - 07/19/10 10:11 AM Re: Hunting in Africa with a 22 Long Rifle [Re: medicman]
LT_DAN Offline
Campfire Regular

medicman, sorry fore the late reply, been hunting a bit. but the spring hare is actually a rodent, so with all the tasty animals available we dont go for spring hare, but it is a lot of fun to hunt. we do this often on foot as well , it provides us with many laughs.

#4274112 - 07/26/10 08:08 AM Re: Hunting in Africa with a 22 Long Rifle [Re: FOsteology]
AndrewMcLaren Offline

Loc: Soutpan, Free State, South Afr...
Originally Posted By: FOsteology
Last year in Namibia our PH lent my son his old BRNO (Model 1 IIRC) .22LR and a box of RWS 40gr. HP

We spent the better part of an afternoon chasing down guinea fowl.

Ironic.... my son spent several days hunting PG and was successful on Kudu, Wildebeest, Gemsbok, etc.... but the afternoon hunting guinea's was by far his most enjoyable part of the entire Safari.

Go figure: Had success on a few big game animals. Congratulations! But then spend an afternoon shooting 10 guineas and one "oops" - that one looks like an illegal to hunt species. Nevertheless 11 dead animals in one day - and no pressure about any shot. Sure I do understand why it was the highlight of his safari!

Long live young hunters with a .22LR and a box of ammo in hand! I just loved - when I still did such things - using a .22 LR with sound supressor and Eley low velocity (subsonic) hollow points to cull blesbuck. Without a single exception, one bullet in the brain = one very dead blesbuck. I have used mine to shoot literally 1000's of hyrax, some in a research project. Great fun with a .22 LR in Africa, and, I'm sure everywhere else where the use of one is legal.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Edited by AndrewMcLaren (07/26/10 08:10 AM)

#4274265 - 07/26/10 09:12 AM Re: Hunting in Africa with a 22 Long Rifle [Re: AndrewMcLaren]
toltecgriz Offline
Campfire Kahuna

I once took a whole brick of .22s into South Africa. The Customs guy looked at it and said, "That's okay, you can't kill anyone with those." Probably wouldn't work quite that way today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on SWAROVSKI OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
258 registered (257Deland, 05FJRRider, 1lesfox, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 1sgLunde, 36 invisible), 702 Guests and 306 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50908 Members
72 Forums
643831 Topics
9248785 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.