Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Beargrease
Guess what? I live in one of the top 20. I have traveled on business extensively all over the world and learned first hand that the TC area was a great place to live. grin

It all depends on the parameters and even then, it's subjective...

The Twin Cities offer everything you may want/need.. For quantity/quality/variety of food/restaurants - it's excellent. Shopping? First class. Environment? Nothin' wrong there..

But add congestion? Crap.. Bad drivers? Crap.. Taxes? You can have it.. Liberals? Thick as thieves...

I'm very close to it and I'm trying to get far away from it.. Y'all can have the TC area...

OK, let's talk about Milwaukee. laugh

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No argument -- Almost as bad as North Murderapolis..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ribka
I grew up an hour from the TC in WI. We used to call WI land of 10,000 Minnesotans because every weekend our town would double in size due to all of the border crossers. If MN is so great why do so many come over to WI for hunting and fishing?

In 2008 I went home to visit parents and all I saw were Obama bumper stickers in the TC.I left the area over 20 years ago to move out west. Got to be too liberal and too high on Taxes. Al Franken being elected pretty much says it all.

Used to be a great area to grow up and raise children. Too bad it is ruined.

Good post, and RIGHT ON THE MONEY... I just wish I'd have 'moved out west' years ago.. I'm trying to make up for my mistake.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live 30 miles from a town of 3500. And that is just about right. Town and close neighbors suck. Can't pee outside, have to be dressed to feed the dog...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Beargrease
Guess what? I live in one of the top 20. I have traveled on business extensively all over the world and learned first hand that the TC area was a great place to live. grin

America's Best Small Cities

I'm thinking the list was compiled by women and metro-sexuals

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Grin...

Minnesota?

2008 Presidential Election

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by ribka
I grew up an hour from the TC in WI. We used to call WI land of 10,000 Minnesotans because every weekend our town would double in size due to all of the border crossers. If MN is so great why do so many come over to WI for hunting and fishing?

In 2008 I went home to visit parents and all I saw were Obama bumper stickers in the TC.I left the area over 20 years ago to move out west. Got to be too liberal and too high on Taxes. Al Franken being elected pretty much says it all.

Used to be a great area to grow up and raise children. Too bad it is ruined.

On a positive note TEA party movement has gotten pretty strong in rural MN and WI. My childhood friend runs a local chapter.

Don't forget the FIB TAB weekend invasions! The tourist dollars really do support a lot of areas, though, so the city attitudes and libtarded idiots are tolerated, usually.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I live 30 miles from a town of 3500. And that is just about right. Town and close neighbors suck. Can't pee outside, have to be dressed to feed the dog...

grin grin grin

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The small city we live in came in at #10 - Rogers, Arkansas. I guess it's a good thing for the city fathers to pound their chests about, but it just brings more people to the area. When we first moved here, only 8 years ago, Rogers was 12,000 folks short of making the "qualifying population" of 50,000 and is now at 57,000. It is a great place to live, though. Lots of outdoor stuff to do, mostly golf and boating/fishing and enough shopping to keep the bride satisfied. We'll probably be here until they pat us in the face with a shovel . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I live 10 miles from #9, and I can, and do, feed the dogs without getting dressed and pee in the yard. Why that town is #9 is beyond me. Can it really be so bad everywhere else?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Otter
The small city we live in came in at #10 - Rogers, Arkansas. I guess it's a good thing for the city fathers to pound their chests about, but it just brings more people to the area. When we first moved here, only 8 years ago, Rogers was 12,000 folks short of making the "qualifying population" of 50,000 and is now at 57,000. It is a great place to live, though. Lots of outdoor stuff to do, mostly golf and boating/fishing and enough shopping to keep the bride satisfied. We'll probably be here until they pat us in the face with a shovel . . .

It was all even nicer before all the damned Yankees moved in and tried to turn it into Nebraska or Illinois.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

[Linked Image]

Break those maps down by county rather than just by state.

Muuuuuuccch more revealing!

In both polls I perused, noticed that NO intermountain communities were listed except CO and MT. NONE! What kind of bias and schitt is that?

One poll said my town in Woorsheengton state is #8. Bull-roar! I'd be happy to trade this liberal "small town"-cesspool for the remotest, windy cold spot in Wyoming! grin

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Money Magazine, Smart Money, USA Toady and other publications each year select the "best places to live in America". However, the selected cities are never in the rankings for the next year or any future year. I live in a town that was ranked 4th best several years ago and has not been listed since.

In talking with a county business developer, I was told that these listings are beauty contests with tons of money spent on marketing the town to the publications. She said that she know of several areas that had a public employee whose full time job was to market the area to these magazines and get favorable listings.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BrentD
I live 10 miles from #9, and I can, and do, feed the dogs without getting dressed and pee in the yard. Why that town is #9 is beyond me. Can it really be so bad everywhere else?

That is so friggin true. I was peeing outside the house the other day and the wife asked why don't use the toilet. My response was because I can and the dogs do it! Feed the chickens in the morning in my undies too. Love the freedom

Big plus to having the nearest neighbor a mile away

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
It was all even nicer before all the damned Yankees moved in and tried to turn it into Nebraska or Illinois.

We moved from Nebraska for a reason (besides the bride's job). I don't want to turn the area into Nebraska and darn sure not Illinausea. We can't even get the northern relatives to visit once in a while. I think they are afraid of getting caught in midst of the second rise of the South grin.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Minnesota boy here, and while I love the state I wouldn't pick any of the five listed in my top ten. Four of them, including No. 1 Eden Prairie are southern ring suburbs of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The only way to know you're leaving one city and entering the next is by the 'Welcome to...' sign.

They are nice places to live, but don't hold a candle to many towns within a couple hour drive of the metro area. I started to type out a list of better "small cities" but it got too long quick.

For those not from around here, a liberal from out-state Minnesota has the same views as a republican in many states. Most of those folks vote the way their parents did - for the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (DFL). Also like many other states, the urban population of the metro area trumps the generally conservative rural areas in statewide elections.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll leave east of the Mississippi,(well almost) and west of the Rockies to someone else. Here's my choices. If you like to fish, shoot or hunt, follow me.

1) LaCrosse, WI

2) Port Aransas (Corpus Christi), TX

3) Watertown, SD

4) Baton Rouge, LA

5) Devils Lake, ND

6) Ruidoso, NM

7) Woodward, OK

8) Brainard, MN

9) Greenbay, WI (throw in top tier professional sports)

10) Bull Shoals lake, not a specific "city".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There are the TC and the rest of Minny; the TC are no way representative of the rest of the state which is comprised if neat, clean towns, woods, and some of the best fresh water fishing available in all of America. These are not the people who elected Al Frankin. As usual it is the liberal urban centers that hold sway--two cultures that are as disparate as the East Coast and Middle America.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys..the Magazine ranked cities 50k to 300K. Small towns are wonderful and better, but not in the parameters of their polling. As for MN politics you gotta remember Michele Bachmann and Tim Pawlenty. Tim could very well be the next repub potus. I will admit that this a great place to raise kids but I'll be damned if I can figure out a way to retire here.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257wby
Guys..the Magazine ranked cities 50k to 300K. Small towns are wonderful and better, but not in the parameters of their polling. As for MN politics you gotta remember Michele Bachmann and Tim Pawlenty. Tim could very well be the next repub potus. I will admit that this a great place to raise kids but I'll be damned if I can figure out a way to retire here.

Yea, but I'm trying! grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,981 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.