Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JAPAN!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
BP-B6

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
DENMARK!

Anyone else want to post a country name too? grin

Last edited by PaulNZ; 07/22/10.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Hamburger!

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
All I know is my 15 year old Abolt composit stalker in '06 just put 4 of 5 in .68" at 200 Yards. The odd one out opened the group up to 1.25". This on a 95' day in Alabama. May not be a "rifleman's rifle", but it's accuracy just gives me so much confidence.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This debate reminds me of a literature professor I had in university. He said, "I'm here to teach you the difference between good writing and bad writing; I'm not here to tell you what to like. If you want to like a poem written by an old lady about her dead cat, you go right ahead, but that won't make it a good piece of literature."

Last edited by John_G; 07/23/10.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by John_G
This debate reminds me of a literature professor I had in university. He said, "I'm here to teach you the difference between good writing and bad writing; I'm not here to tell you what to like. If you want to like a poem written by an old lady about her dead cat, you go right ahead, but that won't make it a good piece of literature."

Man, did I hate every lit class I took. What a crock. Pride and Prejudice has to be the worst piece of writing I've ever had to skim.

Since we all live for a while and then die. I think good must be dictated by the individual. If someone thinks it's a good gun then it is. It made one person happy.

Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulNZ
DENMARK!

Anyone else want to post a country name too? grin

Why you gotta use Denmark? smile

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
No reason whatsoever smile - first country that occurred to me.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
[quote=Sitka deer]The model is responsible for more personally-witnessed in-field failures than ALL other models of rifles combined. Yet only a small fraction of my rifle experiences afield include A-Bolts.

Usually the trigger groups rust to a fixed mode and refuse to fire. Often they do it in just a day or two.[/quote

WTF are you saying. More mumbo jumbo from the ABolt Haters Club.

The A Bort makes the grade as a varmint rifle, IMO. The Abort 243 WSSM won't win the Wimbleton Cup., despite being favorably twisted;

The only saving grace is its 22 Hornet Micro Medallion...shoots very well. More the tube than anything else, really.

I'd not throw Art under the player hating club......

He's prolly seen more fail in the field than you've used; just a WAG on my part, but will hedge my bets....

I'd venture to say that he hasn't seen any fail in the field and the only thing you've seen fail in the field is your xxxxx. A classic example of being "turdlike" and a sample of one.

Need to add that any of my cheesey, clubby and clunky Abolts will out shoot any of your cheesey, clubby and clunky Kimingtons at any range.

Last edited by AlabamaEd; 07/24/10.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If there's not a proverb about spending your time listening to other people's opinions versus figuring it out yourself, there should be one!!

My 30+ year-old A-bolt stalker in .300 WM is still puttin' them in under an inch. No failures from -20 degrees to 100 degrees.

My Ti A-bolt in 7mm WSM puts 160gr Accubonds in .75" at nearly 3000 fps. It's a nice gun to carry when it ain't flat.

Earlier this year I bought a double-abomination - Stainless A-bolt in .223 WSSM. It's a real PITA - I'm getting so many sub-half-inch groups (62gr Barnes TSX @ 3550 - 3600 fps) it makes 1" groups in my other rifles look silly.

I've only owned 3 Brownings. Maybe I just got lucky 3 times in a row...??? Only a few other rifles I have match them and NONE beat them. YMMV

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyliec
My 30+ year-old A-bolt stalker

Maybe I just got lucky

You must be lucky, you owned one before they were available... grin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Maybe I just got lucky

I thought I bought it around 1980 - they had just been released. I don't have the receipt handy. Maybe it's only 25-years old....in any case I know it was a long time ago and it's a purchase I've never regretted.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Maybe I just got lucky

I thought I bought it around 1980 - they had just been released. I don't have the receipt handy. Maybe it's only 25-years old....in any case I know it was a long time ago and it's a purchase I've never regretted.

Happens to alot of us, we lose track of time.

The first A-Bolt Stalker (syn stock) was offered in '89 IIRC. Other than maybe the Weatherby Fibermark, it was the first factory synthetic stocked rifle offered to the masses.

MtnHtr

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm pretty sure the a-bolt stainless stalker was the first commercially available stainless rifle in 1986.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm just glad I didn't get that Buck Head logo tattoo on my butt.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Tejano
I'm just glad I didn't get that Buck Head logo tattoo on my butt.

Where did you get it then?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Horseman
I'm pretty sure the a-bolt stainless stalker was the first commercially available stainless rifle in 1986.

It was offered as the first commercially available SS rifle in 1990 no doubt. I won $1800 worth of Brownings in 1990 for snapping a picture in 1989:

[Linked Image]

One of the rifles I won:

[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Was the composite stalker (not stainless) introduced at the same time??

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Was the composite stalker (not stainless) introduced at the same time??

No, the first composite stalker (syn stock-matte blue) was introduced in 89, then in 90 Browning offered the same rifle in SS, dubbing it the SS stalker. I ran tang safety Rugers prior to these and the lighter weight, matte finishes and scratch resistant syn stocks were a welcome change.

I also had a post Win 70 featherweight in 06 at the time, but these early synthetic stocked rifles won me over. I was used to scratched up wood stocks and the Tru oil routine.

They were especially nice if you pack hunted back then:

[Linked Image]

Same hunt and rifle, 7RM SS Stalker
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

This happens with anything which becomes too popular: eventually you become a victim of your own success.

I don't own an A-bolt, so I don't have a dog in this fight... but some of you need to put a little thought into what your saying, because it's pretty illogical, as well as ignorant of mass market and industrial forces.

Example: Many people in this thread have claimed they "see buck mark emblems everywhere" or that "around here, browning is the norm" and statements to that effect. If this is true, Then it follows logically that a large percentage of failures they see will be with Brownings, simply by virtue that is the rifle most often used. Using this as evidence against the Brownings design is flawed logic, because the statistics are so skewed: there isn't a substantial sample of other brands to compare it against.

This is the same problem Glocks have: they are so ubiquitous that simple percentages dictate they will have more malfunctions - there are machines after all, and all machines malfunction eventually.

In reality it is most likely the case that the A-bolt is not significantly better or worse than any other name brand hunting rifle in its class, just as a Glock is not significantly better or worse than any other pistol its class.

Many of us like to pretend that out pet brands are somehow better than the others. This is not usually true, unless comparing apples to oranges outside of like categories (IE Huglu to a Fausti double gun); It's also a little juvenile.

I'm probably not going to make many friends here with the tone of my first post. Even so, this is how I see it. A gun is a tool; some are artfully crafted tools, and others are utilitarian. Neither approach to manufacture is a strength or weakness of itself. Any claims for or against quality should be supported empirically, and any comparisons made between like kinds; otherwise we speak idly and without point.

Last edited by Jimbo_Kern; 07/27/10.

Look out! It's coming right for us!
Page 10 of 17 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 73 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.