Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
How do Meopta Meostar scopes compare with similarly priced optics, such as Leupold VX-3s, Zeiss Conquests, Sightron SIIIs, and others? I am considering picking up a 3-10x50 #4 reticle, and I am curious how they rate against other scopes. Thanks!

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Plus: Quite bright and clear

Minus: Heavy for a non-tactical scope, shortish eye relief

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heres a good comparison to a Conquest and the new Minox. Looks to be a fine scope.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23722

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ooooops, its for the Meopro not the Meostar...sorry.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I thought I heard that Zeiss contracts out the Conquest and Meopta makes it. Conquest is a fine scope. Buckfever1

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Jason280
How do Meopta Meostar scopes compare with similarly priced optics, such as Leupold VX-3s, Zeiss Conquests, Sightron SIIIs, and others? I am considering picking up a 3-10x50 #4 reticle, and I am curious how they rate against other scopes. Thanks!

I've owned two Meopta Meostars (both 4-16x model) and, to MY EYES, they provide just a tiny bit better clarity than the Conquest models I've owned (6.5-20x and 4.5-14x). Resolution is about the same, maybe just a tad better as well. The Conquest is lighter and uses a 1" tube vs. the 30mm used with the Meostar. I much preferred the turret adjustments on the Conquest as the Meostar's "clicks" were mushy & you could easily loose yourself in adjustment if you don't concentrate on feeling the clicks. I also prefer the side focus parallax adjustment of the Conquest vs the adjustable objective of the Meostar. Finally, the reticle selection of the Conquest is much more varied and I prefer the standard mildot available with the Zeiss vs the diamond shaped holdover points that Meopta uses for their "mil-dot" reticle.
Overall, I'd say that the Meostar is better optically vs the Conquest but after that the Conquest wins all the other comparison criteriae. There is more to buying a scope than optical clarity & performace but the Meostar is still a great scope in its own right.
Best of luck to you.

p.s.--almost forgot, I'd rate the Meostar the best of the bunch optically when compared to the Leupold & Sightron S III models listed.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ceylonc
Originally Posted by Jason280

I've owned two Meopta Meostars (both 4-16x model) and, to MY EYES, they provide just a tiny bit better clarity than the Conquest models I've owned (6.5-20x and 4.5-14x). Resolution is about the same, maybe just a tad better as well. The Conquest is lighter and uses a 1" tube vs. the 30mm used with the Meostar. I much preferred the turret adjustments on the Conquest as the Meostar's "clicks" were mushy & you could easily loose yourself in adjustment if you don't concentrate on feeling the clicks. I also prefer the side focus parallax adjustment of the Conquest vs the adjustable objective of the Meostar. Finally, the reticle selection of the Conquest is much more varied and I prefer the standard mildot available with the Zeiss vs the diamond shaped holdover points that Meopta uses for their "mil-dot" reticle.
Overall, I'd say that the Meostar is better optically vs the Conquest but after that the Conquest wins all the other comparison criteriae. There is more to buying a scope than optical clarity & performace but the Meostar is still a great scope in its own right.
Best of luck to you.

p.s.--almost forgot, I'd rate the Meostar the best of the bunch optically when compared to the Leupold & Sightron S III models listed.

Ceylonc is right on in his post and I have to agree. I have 2 Meostars (1.5-5 and 4-12). They are heavy compared to other scopes. Personally, I don't care about the weight. The optics are fabulous compared to the others mentioned.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+2. I have a few Meoptas and they are VERY hard to beat for the money. They are a little heavy, but the view is amazing.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mod7Nut
+2. I have a few Meoptas and they are VERY hard to beat for the money. They are a little heavy, but the view is amazing.
I MUST AGREE!!!!!!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

609 members (160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 69 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.