Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Anybody use/recommend one over the other? I want to quit buying the crap, and get one that will last.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Don't know anything about the Engel's but I have a Yeti. It seems to keep ice longer than any of the bargin store coolers IF you leave it closed most of the time. If you are constantly opening it to get drinks or whatever out of it, you probably won't notice a lot of difference between it and the cheaper ones. However, it is a lot more sturdy. The downside is you will always be wanting to keep an eye on it cause some jerk will steal it if given the chance.

JMO
Dave

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Never had either, but got this info from another board. You might can get a deal if you email this guy. Several folks from the other board have bought from him and were pleased:

What are normal prices on a 70 qt, a 100 qt, and a 145 qt? I have a contact in Texas that gets seconds from the factory for much cheaper than what I've seen them go for. 70 - $175, 100 - $190, 145 - $235. You can't find anything wrong with them.....I know a few people that have them.

I just bought a 70 and 145 from the guy. He ships Fedex ground so shipping runs 25-50 depending on the size. His name is Chuck Purcell. Email is cpurcell805gmail.com. I have his phone number but would hate to put it up and have 20 people call him all at once. I'm sure he'll send it to you when you email him

Last edited by dukhntn; 07/14/10.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks, sent him an email.
JG

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have not owned either, but I have admired the Yeti's. The downfall to coolers is their use as a seat. Over time, that practice collapses the middle and springs the ends ruining the seal. I think even the Yeti will eventually yield to such punishment. Eliminating that practice has greatly extended the life of my Coleman and Igloo units.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/14/10.

1Minute
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have two Yetis. I think the full-length molded hinge will go a long way to keeping them solid. I am going to buy at least one more. Don't know anything about that other brand.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
We sell Engel coolers and can vouch for their durability and ice keeping functional. They are similar in "bear proof" models, function, durability and ice keeping time. The differences are in price and aesthetics.

Here are some of the features of the IGBC coolers:
* Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee (IGBC) Bear-Resistant
* 2″ Quality Polyurethane insulation
* Seamless polyethylene construction
* Non-Skid lid with dual corner locking holes
* Molded hand grip and convenient rope handles
* Large non-skid, non-marking feet designed to keep the cooler from sliding
* Air tight freezer gasket seal in lid
* Unique easy-open drain plug
* Cooler drains completely dry when drain plug is opened one turn
* Rugged full length self stopping hinge
* Low profile marine grade latches
* Easily secures down with most tie-down systems

I have used a 65 qt in camp with 5 hunters for 10 days, each taking turns sitting on it for the day/evening as it had the boat cushion with it. It was nice to rest your "chassis" on it after chasing elk all day!

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
R
R
I have experience with all three Coleman, Yeti, and Engel.

I had a Yeti and the ice always melted very quickly over the span of a weekend camping trip.The Yeti replaced an old Coleman I had. The Yeti seems to be on the same par with a Coleman but the the Coleman was much cheaper. After the Yeti I bought an Engel and I can tell you the ice in an Engel cooler lasts the whole weekend. I come back home and many times I still have ice left. It is an amazing cooler.

I did a lot of research when I bought the Engel cooler and found out one of the biggest differences is how much insulation they use. This is the main difference from cooler to cooler. Engel uses 2" all around the cooler even at the bottom. Yeti hardly places any insulation at the bottom of the cooler and a large amount on the top- that does't really make sense since all of the ice in the cooler is on the bottom and the cold gets lost from the cooler sitting on the hot ground.

The Yeti is also hard to open and close with the rubber latches. you have to pull on the rubber really hard to close the thing putting alot of stress on the rubber itself. I went through so many latches in the short time I had my Yeti. I finally got fed up with it and threw it out.

Engel is the way to go - in my experience.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

644 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 65 invisible), 2,046 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,243
Posts18,447,892
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.