24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, now that I've done the Namibia Plains Game trip, I'm starting to think about a trip back for buffalo. For those of you that have been, where would you recommend I go, and how much should I be prepared to spend?

Chris
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did Mozambique and will definitely go back. It is safe, wild, lousy with buff and low cost. I hunted with the Haldane brothers who have Coutadas 11 & 12.

http://www.zambezedeltasafaris.com/

405wcf

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Zimbabwe, cheaper than Moz.[depending on what you want to do]. Look into the SAVE. Haven't been there tet, but its coming up in 2011/2012. Just for the hellava it, here is a list to get started on.

Charleton/McCallum Safaris
Martin Pieters Safaris
Brookland Safaris
Mokore Safaris
Zambezi Hunters
Roger Whittall Safaris
Chifuti Safaris
SSG Safaris

There are others. Google up the above, and look at their websites. There are good agents for some of those boys, here in the states. Depends on your time frame, how many days you want to hunt, etc. Before Jorge gets on here, let me add another.

John Sharp Safaris.

There is a wealth of good outfits for a great buff hunt.

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zim,they are all over the river...like Rats...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That about covers it smile Moz is great as well.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
As mentioned above, Moz. and Zim. offer the most affordable Buff hunts. Depending on outfitter and area, you can do a 7-day hunt in either country for about $10K - $12K, all-in. A 10-day hunt would run closer to $15K. In terms of cost - Namibia, Bots., and Zambia would be next. These days, a 7 or 10 day hunt in those countries run $15K to 18K or more. Tanzania and RSA are probably the most expensive. The one thing about Tanz. is that on a 10 or 16 day hunt, you can take at least 2 Buffalo. (On a 21-day license, up to 3 may be hunted.) RSA has some quality Buff. but the Trophy Fee alone is often more than an all-in 7 day hunt in Zim. I've seen the TF there range from $12,500 to $16,000 for a trophy-level bull.

Uganda might be the dark horse country right now. Middle-of-the-road prices (currently) but has produced some terrific trophies, as hunting has just recently re-opened there. Another option would be hunting Western Savannah Buff. in Central or Western Africa. They're just as challenging and ornery but found in a totally different hunting environment. For example, Burkina Faso has some very reasonable rates but it would be a noticeable difference from what you'd experience in Southern Africa, to say the least.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just returned from Namibia's Caprivi Strip hunting with Jamy Traut of Eden Safaris. Affordable hunt in terrain very similar to the Okavango. Took a 42" old bull. Had made a plains game/leopard hunt to Namibia in 08, and moving on to buff in the same country was an easy transition. Nice thing about hunting with Jamy, when you have your bull, you can move down to Eden for fabulous plains game including one of the largest eland populations in Africa.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm headed over tomorrow to Zimbabwe with Charlton McCallum Safaris. I'll post a full report in 2 weeks when I get back. Zim is prob the best combo of cost, quality of hunt, and quality of animals. Not the biggest Buff but respectable and more affordable than most places over there.
Lee

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you are flexible as far as time, there are usually late season hunts that come up with significant discounts. Have seen some 10 day hunts, all in for around $10,000.

maddog

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

IC B3

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Zambia is a good option but you will pay more than the bargains you can get in Zimbabwe. However plains game is abundant in our buffalo areas and you can hunt a wide range of species including Puku and Cookson's Wildebeest if you are at all interested in these.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My largest Buffalo are in Zimbabwe and Tanzania..On a one buffalo, 5 or 7 day hunt prices run about the same at roughly $8500 to $9000...Tanzania requires 2 hunters, Zim will do one hunter at this price.

Two buffalo 10 day hunts (these are the cream hunts) in run about $20,000 or a bit less in both countries.

Zambia and Mozambique run about the same..

Be advised that pricing can also vari depending on the economy in the USA and Europe, if the quotas are not selling you can get some awesome deals as they are just trying to pay for the concession in many cases..In 2009, I sold buff for $5900 all inclusive and elephant bulls for $16000 including a Leopard or Sable..Last minute deals are the best bet but only if you can take advantage of the date, and basically go on a moments notice.

It cost x dollars to do a buffalo hunt or any hunt for that matter, so be sure you know where the cuts are if the hunt gets cheap, it has to be there somewhere, sometimes that is good and sometimes its bad. Beware of hidden costs and know up front the complete cost less tips to staff, tips will totally be your personal call.

Just some ideas to think about.

Last edited by atkinsonhunting; 09/27/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.