Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mike53 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I recently had three SSA 6.8SPC cases eject from my Stag Arms carbine minus their primers. I discovered the malfunction only after one of the spent primers lodged in the receiver and prevented the trigger from resetting. After removing the spent primer from the rifle I inspected all of the spent brass and discovered two other cases that were missing primers. Upon returning home I found that a new small rifle primer would fit loosely in the subject cases. This is first problem I have ever encountered with Silver State ammunition and I still consider the quality of their products to be very good. I emailed SSA today and am awaiting their reply.

Has anyone ever experienced this situation and if so how did you resolve it?

Last edited by Mike53; 07/26/10.
ARIC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the heads-up. I've got some of that ammo loaded up in clips.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
You see that a lot with federal gmm ammo in 223. I've seen it in other situations but its not that common.

The 2 most likely causes, soft brass or over pressure load. Other than the chance it could be dimensional tolerances...

6.8 might be weird because I've seen that same thing with RP brass a fair amount and quit using it in 6.8.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The 6.8 has 2 different chamberings, one is the older style that had pressure problems and the newer spec II (I think) is for the hotter loads. Depends on barrel twist as well.

Remingtn brass also used the large primer while Hornady brass used a small primer, allowing more pressure.

This is off the top of my head from when I was interested in the round so I maybe wrong on a few points.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
In regards to SSA,

A while back I had some problems with the neck/shoulder area having a ring/bulge/doughnut in some of the cartridges and some of the ammo would not chamber.

I contacted SSA.

The short version is, they bent over backwards to make me happy.
They had found a problem and fixed it, but some ammo got out. They were very upfront about it and it was like talking to a fellow reloader.

Very nice people.

Nancy is the gal to talk to.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

M
Mike53 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
SSA has promptly responded to me regarding this issue. Jeff at SSA has been very helpful. He told me that some of their 6.8SPC ammunition with 90gr. Speer TNT bullets was loaded with a powder that didn't work well with a very few rifles, Stag Arms being one of them. He also mentioned that SSA has since switched to a different powder to alleviate the problem with this minority of weapons.

Apparently the gas port size and location in Stag Arms does not work well with the former powder use by SSA in this round. Because of the aforementioned conditions the bolt may unlock too soon and then allow the case to become unsupported while still under pressure and this allowing the case head to over expand and shed it's primer.

I have several hundred rounds of later production SSA 90gr. TNT ammunition and Jeff told me that it was loaded with the new powder and should work properly in my Stag rifle. I will let everyone know how it functions after I've had an opportunity to go to the range.

This is the only problem I have ever had with any SSA ammo and I'm very pleased with Silver State's honest and friendly approach to solving my problem. Other companies should take note.

Last edited by Mike53; 07/29/10.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have only use the SSA 110gr Sierra Pro Hunter ammo in my Stag Arms 16". Shoots very well. Haven't had a problem with this ammo.

Ken

M
Mike53 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Ken,

At my last trip to the range I fired 40 rounds of 110gr. Sierra Pro Hunter ammo in my Stag carbine and like you it worked very well with zero problems and excellent accuracy.

I also took to the range what I thought was later production 90gr. Speer TNT ammo which was supposed to work in my Stag carbine. Unfortunately I misread the date code, and the ammo as it turns out was not of a later production so I was unable to verify that more recently made 90gr. Speer TNT will work well in a Stag Arms rifle.

Mike

M
Mike53 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
The folks at SSA have been great to work with. They've contacted Stag Arms on my behalf regarding the malfunction of their 90gr. TNT ammo in my rifle. They've encouraged me to contact Stag to see what can be done to make my rifle function reliably with lighter bullets. In the mean time they've offered to exchange my remaining 90gr. TNT ammo for their 110 Sierra Pro Hunter ammo which functions perfectly in the rifle. They are even paying the for the shipping.

Jeff and Susan at SSA have been very helpful. I can't say enough good things about SSA, they are a first class outfit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
622 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.