-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd prefer a high-riding OWB holster with a good bit of cant.

I'm also looking for some good plinking and carry ammo.

Thanks,

Dan

GB1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I like the Kramer scabbard for an OWB for that gun, but honestly, give the $15 glock sport holster a shot first.

But I find that belt carry sucks when combined with backpack straps, so I got one of these and it's awesome: http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/GuidesChoice.html

For plinking ammo: http://georgia-arms.com/10mm.aspx
Save your brass.

For woods ammo, pick your poison. Buffalo Bore is a lot pricier, but also chrono's closer to its claims:
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/ca...39&osCsid=0a78v2214g2kjqjb00b6lj8ie4
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/ca...05&osCsid=0a78v2214g2kjqjb00b6lj8ie4
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=24

FWIW, I use the 220gr hardcast from BB.

And I'd also recommend grabbing a 22lb recoil spring.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
22lb recoil spring to handle the extra oomph?

Thanks for the suggestions and links!

-Dan

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Yes. The full house heavy stuff slams the frame pretty hard, and chucks the brass into the next county. Some folks swap springs when going between weaker factory ammo and the big stuff. Mine runs fine with the 22 for everything, and I'm lazy, so I use it for everything.

There are two controversies hidden in my advice.

The first is using a non-factory part at all (the spring.) Shoot it with stock if you want, and make your own decision. It's a glock; it can take it either way.

The second is using hardcast lead in a glock factory barrel. Google up on that, make your own decision. Both double tap and BB will tell you they test with factory barrels, and its soft lead with gas checks that's the real issue. I still don't shoot thousands of rounds of even the hardcast without cleaning, but there hasn't been significant leading of any kind with the hardcast stuff.

Lots of 10mm nuts over at glocktalk.com, in the 10 Ring forum.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Oh, and some folks have been having issues with their 20's factory barrels not stabilizing the 220 and 230gr hardcast bullets. (Some, not all.)

Shoot a couple at 25 yards, and if it's keyholing, drop down to 200gr or grab an aftermarket barrel.

The Lone Wolf barrels seem to be pretty popular and a decent value: https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=82

... if you decide you want one. You can also grab a .40 barrel for cheaper practice, if you shoot enough and don't reload.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If ever you had a reason to get into handloading (if you don't already) then getting a 10mm is it. All my "plinking" is done with handloads. In fact, everything other than SD loads are handloaded.

I've also got the LW barrels in 10mm (it's just nicer to the brass and makes shooting lead a non-issue) as well as a .40 barrel. Cheaper factory and cheaper still handloaded. If you really want to practice a lot I got the Advantage Arms .22 conversion (check to be certain the SF is compatible, mines the standard though my G29 is an SF) which is a hoot to shoot, more accurate than I would have guessed and allows you to use the exact same grip/trigger/sight picture and do it cheaper even than handloading. (it is quite a bit lighter though)

I like the 10. For OWB I've got the Glock sport d12 referenced earlier and for IWB a Crossbreed Supertuck, though it's usually the 29 doing that.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the help/tips. I do reload, just haven't reloaded for pistol cartridges yet. I guess it's time to start doing so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clark,
Congrats on your new Glock.
I have a 29SF and I really like it.
I haven't tried DoubleTap ammo myself;DT has been having some issues with velocities(well below claimed figures), quality control, and some other stuff-but I think they may get it sorted out here soon?
I have been pretty happy with the Winchester 175gr Silvertip for a carry load-it clocks 1125 out of my 29 and if I recall, ran a touch over 1200 from my old G20.
I would certainly second the other posters opinion that you should take up reloading, as 10mm ammo is obscenely expensive!
eek

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 340boy
Clark,
Congrats on your new Glock.
I have a 29SF and I really like it.
I haven't tried DoubleTap ammo myself;DT has been having some issues with velocities(well below claimed figures), quality control, and some other stuff-but I think they may get it sorted out here soon?
I have been pretty happy with the Winchester 175gr Silvertip for a carry load-it clocks 1125 out of my 29 and if I recall, ran a touch over 1200 from my old G20.
I would certainly second the other posters opinion that you should take up reloading, as 10mm ammo is obscenely expensive!
eek

I have a small stash of Georgia Arms 180 gr Gold Dot/ new starline brass, when purchased three years ago was $20.25 per 50. It's now $25 per 50, but usually out of stock.

I order a couple of boxes of DT 200 gr XTP's a year at close to $1 per round. Enough!

I am breaking out the old rock chucker getting some dies, brass tumbler, and going back to rolling my own. Below is a good link from 03 listing some loads from the DT founder (P1, ~ post 19).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=198520

Last edited by rkamp; 07/15/10.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rkamp

I have a small stash of Georgia Arms 180 gr Gold Dot/ new starline brass, when purchased three years ago was $20.25 per 50. It's now $25 per 50, but usually out of stock.

I order a couple of boxes of DT 200 gr XTP's a year at close to $1 per round. Enough!

I am breaking out the old rock chucker getting some dies, brass tumbler, and going back to rolling my own. Below is a good link from 03 listing some loads from the DT founder (P1, ~ post 19).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=198520

I always forget about Georgia Arms.
25 bucks per 50 sounds pretty darn good, especially for Gold Dots and Starline brass!-that may just be well worth being put on a waiting list for.

I may still try some DT, even with all the so-so stuff I have been hearing(on Glock Talk, mostly) and see for myself if it is a viable option.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Serpa makes a very nice holster that you can configure to your liking. That's what my 20C rides in.
O

Too old to suffer fools
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i wonder what double tap is doing to get that kind of velocity out of the 200 grain wfn and the 220 grain?

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If they really are getting that kind of velocity, they are loading it too hot. See the above post about needing a heavier spring and their ammo really tossing the brass "all over the place."
Not a good idea with the 10. It goes critical very quickly. Glock guns are often made w/o much cartriage case head support.....
BTW, the 10mm, at reasonable load levels can be pretty impressive. With Double Tap's 200 gr. lead wide flat point over 9.5 grs. of AA#7, I put one through three 2.5 gal water jugs stacked ene to end. That's about three feet. While my 4 inch .44 Mag, with a 240 gr. XTP, over 20 grs. of 2400 only did two of them. That and alot less recoil makes the 10 a very worthwhile round to have in a good pistol. E

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Eremicus
If they really are getting that kind of velocity, they are loading it too hot. See the above post about needing a heavier spring and their ammo really tossing the brass "all over the place."
Not a good idea with the 10. It goes critical very quickly. Glock guns are often made w/o much cartriage case head support.....
BTW, the 10mm, at reasonable load levels can be pretty impressive. With Double Tap's 200 gr. lead wide flat point over 9.5 grs. of AA#7, I put one through three 2.5 gal water jugs stacked ene to end. That's about three feet. While my 4 inch .44 Mag, with a 240 gr. XTP, over 20 grs. of 2400 only did two of them. That and alot less recoil makes the 10 a very worthwhile round to have in a good pistol. E

I bought a glock 20 some time ago and have been playing with it. A set of see in the dark high viz sights, and a kit from wolfe/22lb mainspring and steel guide rod.
i have loaded 155, 180 and some 200 grainers spread between jacketed and lead. Also put a KKM barrel on it, and have a six inch kkm barrel too. I have gotten pretty good velocities particularly with the six inch barrel, but not like what doubletap is doing. Maybe it's just me, but haven't seen any reputable loading data for that either. I think a lot of the factory fodder ammo is rather enemic for it, but in it's original concept acheived with reloads it is pretty impressive. I call it my light .41magnum. I did copy what is suppose to be his mixture this morning on loading some of these rounds but haven't checked them as to if I would want to do them. I am comfortable with a 200grainer at about 1150fps.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/23/10.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clark, I have two of those Glock model 20's and one model 29 in sub-compact 10mm. I use a Don Hume all leather holster, model #41 for the model 20 standard length barrel.

There is no cheap plinking ammo for a 10mm that I know of unless you reload like I do. I use 165 grain jacketed bullets in my 10mm and that will give you plenty of penetration @ 1300fps.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed.
The 10mm makes reloading a necessity, pretty much.

James Elroy Flecker

O
O
Looking for a Mod 20 SF now, myself
But my local shop is having a hard time locating one
Anyone else have this issue?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
CCI has, or had, (?) a Blazer, aluminum cased, 200 gr. FMJ load that was a pretty good plinker. Then there is, or was, (?) the Remington UMC 180 gr. stuff. Don't know if they are still out there.
I have found that there are some lead bullets, say 140 grs. and even some wadcutter lead bullets that do pretty well as plinkers. I even found I could get them to shoot the same zero as my full power stuff. E

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Picked up this rig: http://glockmeister.com/product_info.php?cPath=9_88_89&products_id=460

I've got an OWB holster on order, but this one should work fine for now. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OhioPaul
Looking for a Mod 20 SF now, myself
But my local shop is having a hard time locating one
Anyone else have this issue?

I have heard that is pretty typical with Glock 10mm offerings in most parts of the country.
However, when I ordered my G29SF a few months ago, I had it within 10 days.
My advice would be to call Ed's Public Safety in Georgia, they have a good reputation as far as getting hard to find Glocks.

James Elroy Flecker

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,319
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.