24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm glad you joined up and shared that with the ignorant masses that make up the board.

I guess the next lecture will be how neat an invention the clock radio is. wink

Welcome to the fire. grin

JM

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can't speak for others, and it irritates me to no end, cause Browning and Savage have been the best about offering calibers in LH.

long before I knew this place existed, I handled I don't know how many Brownings and Savages thinking about buying another lh rifle.

came closest on getting the Savage, but never did, I've ended up with all Rem's in lh style (or Rem copies 1 NULA in the stable)

have pards that love their Brownings but neither one that I know is what I'd consider a rifleman. they've had good service with them though and have killed some game with them.

maybe it's cause I was so use to Rems, at 18 went out and bought my very first lh'er in 7mag and it was my only scoped bolt action for quite a few years. Perhaps I just got used to it, but it's always been a good shooter.

Wanted to support companies that catered to southpaws, but just never could get the feel to buy either brand.

weird coincidence that I found this place and around here it does seem the general consensus is Browning and Savage are looked at askew by quite a few folks.

I still say though, the guy that gets his game every year, don't really care about what a bunch of internet yahoos think about his gear selection, it works for him and that's all it has to do to make him happy.

I just never could warm up to either brand enough to part with the cash and that was a spell before I ever saw this place.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the clarification on the intro of the Stainless Stalker MtnHtr.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jimbo_Kern
This happens with anything which becomes too popular: eventually you become a victim of your own success.

I don't own an A-bolt, so I don't have a dog in this fight... but some of you need to put a little thought into what your saying, because it's pretty illogical, as well as ignorant of mass market and industrial forces.

Example: Many people in this thread have claimed they "see buck mark emblems everywhere" or that "around here, browning is the norm" and statements to that effect. If this is true, Then it follows logically that a large percentage of failures they see will be with Brownings, simply by virtue that is the rifle most often used. Using this as evidence against the Brownings design is flawed logic, because the statistics are so skewed: there isn't a substantial sample of other brands to compare it against.

This is the same problem Glocks have: they are so ubiquitous that simple percentages dictate they will have more malfunctions - there are machines after all, and all machines malfunction eventually.

In reality it is most likely the case that the A-bolt is not significantly better or worse than any other name brand hunting rifle in its class, just as a Glock is not significantly better or worse than any other pistol its class.

Many of us like to pretend that out pet brands are somehow better than the others. This is not usually true, unless comparing apples to oranges outside of like categories (IE Huglu to a Fausti double gun); It's also a little juvenile.

I'm probably not going to make many friends here with the tone of my first post. Even so, this is how I see it. A gun is a tool; some are artfully crafted tools, and others are utilitarian. Neither approach to manufacture is a strength or weakness of itself. Any claims for or against quality should be supported empirically, and any comparisons made between like kinds; otherwise we speak idly and without point.

Great post. Every rifle has its pros and cons, and everyone has different needs or requirements. I will add that although I never suffered any serious failures Abolts do have some "lackluster qualities" that may matter to some. I did sell mine off after a few years and now run custom Rems and Winnies:

The actions are difficult to rebarrel, partially glued in I'm told.

Pot metal shroud (hollow?), trigger and bottom metal. Other makers use pot metal or die cast parts too but the A Bolt's do seem weaker. But they seem to hold up for the majority.

The CM barrels have bores that are rust prone. I had two Composite stalkers that formed rust in the bores just a few hours after a storm while drying out or before getting back to camp.

That said, pick up a few of Boone & Crockett's past magazines and you will see plenty of animals taken using A-Bolts in the photo section.

Go to Utah and you will see a ton of A-Bolts in use.

MtnHtr

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can't say something sucks unless you compare it to something equally sucky, in which case it appears to not suck at all.

Outstanding logic, when compared to other posts of similar quality.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They can be hell to rebarrel.

The reason for this is some scope mounting bracket screws were long and would go down and flatten the barrel threads.

JM

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JM...if you wouldnt shoot Brownings..you wouldnt have to rebarrel them... whistle

wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
ingwe, if we don't shoot brownings, how we gonna have accurate rifles?

(says the guy with the buckmark tattoo. and yes, go ahead and make fun. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
(says the guy with the buckmark tattoo.)

No way...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laffin'

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

(says the guy with the buckmark tattoo.)

shocked

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
They can be hell to rebarrel.

The reason for this is some scope mounting bracket screws were long and would go down and flatten the barrel threads.

JM

Actually alot of bolt actions have that same trait where the barrel threads can be damaged by an overly long base screw. And alot of bolt actions use the same front bases, sort of a standard front base.

Christensen Arms used to offer a customized A-Bolt at one time, don't know if they still do. I wonder if it had something to do with being based outta Utah? blush

MtnHtr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ingwe, if we don't shoot brownings, how we gonna have accurate rifles?

(says the guy with the buckmark tattoo. and yes, go ahead and make fun. smile

MJ,

You may be eligible to win a free rifle from browing as long as it's not on your azz or penis.

(Not that it would be a bad thing, it just has to be where they can publish pics of it in order to qualify) grin

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i know, i saw that on their website.

i got a tattoo for several reasons. one, my wife and i both got a tattoo for our first wedding anniversary as a fun/crazy thing to do. two, i found something that signified my love for the outdoors and hunting/shooting, a deer.

and their logo looked damn cool with the stars and stripes waving through the buckmark outline. so i had them put it on the inside of my forearm.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i get a lot of compliments on it, wink maybe i should send it in.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
oh, lord. before the PM's come rolling in and i get to be the next JeffO, maybe i should post a pic for review?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
trying...hang on

Last edited by mjbgalt; 07/27/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We must see. Hell, you could win some guns so why not send it in.

JM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
and their logo looked damn cool with the stars and stripes waving through the buckmark outline. so i had them put it on the inside of my forearm.

This thread has the potential to go epic.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
ohhh no you don't.

Page 11 of 17 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 81 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.