-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Okay, Sound off any and everyone that has any experience with either of these 2 tents. I am torm between them. It looks like the Scarp 1 is a little roomier and lighter and I like the option of the crossing poles. Price will be about the same for the Akto at about $420 and the Scarp 1 at $440 including the seam sealing for me. The scarp 1 includes the solid and mesh interiors as well as the crossing poles for that price. The interior space on both are right around 19 sq/ft but the Scarp 1 has 13 ft total vestible to the akto's 8.6 ft. So, is one tougher than the other? Vents better? Let me know what you think?

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Why both interiors on the Scarp?? That sure runs the price up.
My solid interior has mesh in the upper half of doors. Venting is fine. I really like the white interior.

I've used the crossing poles only once just to try them out. I guess they would be nice to have if you are expecting heavy snow. Mine collect dust.

Are you paying them to seam seal? It takes about 30 minutes with some diluted silicone.

How tall are you? If much over 6' headroom will be minimal, probably in either tent but if headroom was real important I guess you wouldn't be looking at these.

The Scarp is SIMPLE to set up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both and would do the Scarp, for more room. The fabric is way more substantial to my touch in the Akto, though, and I would favor it in heavy weather. I have the crossing poles and with freezing fingers, they are a real pain, if I recollect. I got a new shelter this year based on the (frequently faulty) recommendations of Backpacker Magazine. The Nemo Meta 2P was my REI dividend, and it took forever, but it's finally here. I haven't had it out except in the back yard, but it looks pretty impressive. Reviewers had fretted over the ventillation, I'll see with time. If I had any sense at all, I'd offer you a deal on your pick.
Don

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
On the Scarp 1, I am not necessarily sold on both interiors, but it seems like it could make it more versatile. Having the mesh for my lowland southern utah scouting trips in July and archery hunts in August for extra venting and the solid for september and later in the higher elevations and cooler temps. I guess the crossing poles would be okay if expecting snow...But these are the kinds of questions I am trying to get answered by posting, So thanks!

docdb, let me know if you decide to unload one or the other...

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
IMHO it really depends on what your intended use is. Both are great tents from well regarded companies. The Scarp 1 wins the cost and weight battle, while the Akto is generally regarded as the more durable and storm worthy. Free-standing has never really been a selling point to me because I would never dare use a tent without staking it out.

When I compared both tents, along with a few others, last month my main interest was a bombproof tent for my late summer and fall hunts at high exposed elevevations (11,000-12,000 feet). Where snow, rain and 50-60 mph wind gusts can be expected at any time. I have shelters made out of both Silnylon and Kerlon 1200 and to my uneducated and simple mind the Kerlon appears to be stronger.

In the end I went with the Akto, but for different uses I may have ended up with a Tarptent.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does anyone know if the Kerlon vents better than the Silnylon? I have heard that Silnylon may not vent very well. Thanks for the input rradams. I am not overly concerned about snow-load, but more about high winds and heavy rain.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
bigpapacow: The Scarp is a tight pitch without the crossing poles so it might take some fairly heavy snow to be an issue.

I've never had my Scarp in an exposed area where the wind was hitting 50+ but I bet if both tents were pitched tight and zipped down, they would both do fine.

I doubt either material does much venting. It's easy to increase ventilation by sliding the fly up the hoop pole. It can be done from inside the tent.

The only thing that has bugged me about the Scarp has been the small zipper pulls. Definitely need paracord wraps for a better handle and easier to find in the dark. I'm going to change mine out to some of that "glow cord" like the Scarp uses on the stake tie outs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It looks like you're pretty well settled on a very specific design. Nonetheless, you might consider one of the GoLite closeouts that CCH is selling on classifieds. I ended up with a Utopia 2 to fulfill the "bombproof solo" role and I'm very pleased with it. I'm even more pleased with the $150 shipped price.

43sf
2 pounds 10 ounces
storm shedding crossed pole design

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bigpapacow
Does anyone know if the Kerlon vents better than the Silnylon? I have heard that Silnylon may not vent very well. Thanks for the input rradams. I am not overly concerned about snow-load, but more about high winds and heavy rain.

As Lost Arra noted, neither should be doing your venting; they are "impermeable", though I expect Kerlon's hydrostatic head is much higher than standard silnylon's (which isn't that high). Also, I've compared silnylon and kerlon tear strength side to side--kerlon wins, no contest.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 68 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.