Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I wonder how they work in real hunting situation.Also please post what attractant you like most and at what kind of hunting situation. I buy Bob Kirshner's stuff simply because its cheaper and local. I heared some great things about Code Blue.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a long time Maryland bowhunter I have used Kirschners stuff for many years. It has worked well for me. It is about all I use anymore in Roam, Curiosity, and Mimic Scrape. I hunt mostly in MD and VA, so it seems to "Match the Hatch" for me here. I have spooked deer with Silvertop II though, it seems a little goes a long way. Now, I use Border crossings VS-1 instead. I also have taken to using the Deer Herd in a bottle on my treesteps and boots. It seems to work well at keeping deer near the tree longer and at ease. Deer follow the trail left by it quite well.

Others I have tried with good success have been: Real Deer, Eddie Salter deer pellets, Deer Dander, Hs scents Buck Lure Supreme, and Supreme II, Trails End 307, Golden Estrus, and James Valley gel scents. Also, although not scents, Acorn Rage, Feeder Fire, and C'mere Deer powder have work well for me as well.

I have had deer spook with: Buck Fire, Pete Richards Indian Deer Lure, HS doe pee, Several Ms. Doe Pee products, Tinks 69, and Still Steamin.

The failures could just be to others in my area using them or the deers experience level when exposed to strange "new deer" scent. I have alot of experience using scents and have been very successful with them so it may, or may not, be me.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the Smokin Sticks quite a bit when the wind is variable. I use the non-rut one mostly. I cannot rember the name of it and have deer walk up to it and watch the smoke for quite awhile before spooking. I firmly believe in it especially if I am on the ground.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never used smokin' sticks but have had success with Code Blue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are the Tinks sticks the same as the Deer Scents sticks from about 20 years ago?

They had a rut scent and an apple/food scent that they instructed you to use separately or together. You had to put a bucket with slots cut in it over the burning sticks to help control the burn rate and dispertion.

They smelled good. Never had much luck with them in the SC. swamps though.

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the hardwood bottoms I hunt here in Alabama I have had good luck with a local product. Shine's White Acorn cover scent/attractant.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Never used smokin' sticks but have had success with Code Blue.

I went code red when I tried smoking them. They really burned my throat when I inhaled, so now I just hang them on a limb somewhere.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love to experiment w/ scents Tinks never worked here b/c everyone uses it . Ms Doe pee spooked also. Bob K. was so -so , Code Blue- seen bucks go crazy over the stuff but its expensive, luckily a little goes a long way. I never tried James Valley. The VS-1 is to expensive for me , the estrous & heard in a stick, it never drove them crazy but it never seemed to spook them in anyway, I messed around last year with the Fitzgerald stuff, deer dander ect... and was impressed , harvested 2 nice 8's in early archery & two more nice 8's late shotgun. Anything I had to light on fire & let smoke in a bucket or a scented candle never done anything. Just my experiences. Then again I know an Ol' Timer who urinates on the bottom of his tree stand & shoots bucks consistently!

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I've smoked the sticks, drank the stuff in the bottle & ate the rasinettes... all it does is make me sick.

I must be doing it wrong?

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Are you showering with "no-scent" soap???

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
ohhh..... "soap" huh?

well that explains a few things...

So.... That's why my beer makes me burp big bubbles. I've been stirring it into my beer, figured it was like them dry powder nestea packets you can add to water and since I don't drink much water....

hmm.

This hunting is tricky business no?

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Northern Dave & Ingwe to funny , make sure you shower w/ blue soap it helps hide you better! LOL !!!!!! With that I guess Code BLUE would be the best scent to use!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I just put a dab of tinks 69 behind each ear.

the deer seem to like it.

the wife, not so much.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These two fell for it. grin (Code Blue)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last two time I tried scents I ended up w/ kids, guess the s*&% works on me.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Don't know about the sticks, but I've used Tinks 69 with some success.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I just put a dab of tinks 69 behind each ear.

the deer seem to like it.

the wife, not so much.

a dab behind the bean bag brings them in runnin'. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Ruger270,

What Fitzgerald products did you try?

How did you use them?

Yes, VH1 is expensive, but other than a long gone doe in estrus product, it has been very good for us.

I have set up mock scrapes by urinating in them. It works well, but I would expect that it is dependent upon what you eat and if you are taking any medications or vitamins that would leave a wierd scent. Guys I hunted with in South Carolina routinely pee in scrapes to good effect on the bucks using them. It really fires them up.

FB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JM,

That second buck looks tired....Glad you gave him a ride.

Brian

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He had his nose up on the scent wick and caught one in the throat patch. tired

JM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.