Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bluedoe,

I must admit it isn't my idea. Got it from an old book, if I recall correctly. But it made sense!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Well I have never owned a Swiss Army knife but I have gutted and boned out a lot of deer with of 3 or 4 inch pocket knives including splitting the pelvis and rib cage..My hunting knife is usually a Case Trapper or a 4" Puma Game Warden..Works as well on elk but you can't split the pelvis, and the rib cage must be cut to the side of the brest bone. On elk I usually have a hatchet tied on my horse or we can go get a small chain saw or axe in camp if were close enough. When helping a friend I just stick a axe in my saddle scabbard with the edge covered or in a case. We bone out everything, remove all fat an sinue to pure meat on all wild game.

Last edited by atkinsonhunting; 07/27/10.
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_B257

Best pictorial of cutting a deer I have seen on the net or in print for those who learn by looking.

Deer Processing 101

Best site I have found on the sausage making and smoking \ curing of meat,fish.

Sausage Making

Doing it yourself is a very rewarding experience and makes the hunt that much more in the total package of life.

Enjoy

Bob, GREAT pictorial. I just book marked that. Thinking of printing it out sheet by sheet and laminating it for step by step pictures to be used while working.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just got an e-mail from Northern tool and those grinders are now on sale for $99. Mine works great. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Here's my favorite website for sausage making recipies, thechniques, and supplies. Check out the summer sausage recipies and venison recipies. Great site to search around.

Sausage making recipies and supplies

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 444Matt
How about sausage! I don't want tube sausage like brats or anything. Just breakfast sasuage like the little jimmy dean packs that you make your own sized patties out of. I assume all I'll need is the grinder, some fat of some sort and some type of seasoning? I bet this is covered in her book.

I would mix it with about 25-50% pork butts rather than just fat. Just my 2 cents.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Matt,
it was the first time I had seen the hind quarter roasts cut up and labeled in pictures.
Plus it has a nice down home story line with the younger hunter.

Not much left after the trimming on those bones.

Glad you liked the link.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Like the man said -- a good knife, a cutting board and some freezer paper. Maybe a fine steel to touch up the edge. That's it! I don't freeze bones, so I don't need a saw, and a moose gets done the same way, just bigger.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Like the man said -- a good knife, a cutting board and some freezer paper. Maybe a fine steel to touch up the edge. That's it! I don't freeze bones, so I don't need a saw, and a moose gets done the same way, just bigger.

I agree. No bones in my freezer as well, but a saw does come in very handy for a few small cuts to break it down into small, easier to handle pcs, esp large moose.

On another note, venison does taste much better when cut with a knife as opposed to a band saw as it prevents bone dust from smearing over the muscle. This bone dust adds a lot of the wild taste that people dislike. The local butcher who uses a band saw to cut portions is more interested in production and getting it done ASAP than the quality of the end product. I've seen were they didn't even scrape the bone dust off the bottom side of the steaks, just the top side that you see on the tray.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A neighbor brought home a moose from Canada last year and took it to the local deer processor. Those are some BIG hind quarters! I don't think I could roll it over on the table to do the other side. I hope it's good meat because that guy surely has a TON of it. I used to think I would like to kill one but I have no clue how I would get it out of the woods.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
A clean work surface. I have used cheap blue tarps even.
A pair of knives, one large butchers, one with a rounded point.
A bone saw is nice, buy a larger one, not hacksaw sized.
A grinder, hand cranked is ok.
A slicer is nice, best to buy a good one.
Pretty much in that order of importance.
Hair gets into everything.
Cut across the grain.
Deboned is better.
Peel off as much membrane as you can.
The hamburger needs beef fat, or a venison / ground beef mix.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.