Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments:

I haven't tested the 286 9.3 A-Frame, but have some experience with the 300-grain 9.3 AF on both game and in test media. In both the 286-grain Nosler Partition outpenetrated the AF.

This is because the 286 Partition retains just about as much weight, since the partition is moved well forward in this bullet, and the Nosler doesn't expand as widely as the AF. In fact, the 286 9.3mm Nosler Partition will penetrate almost as far as the 286 TSX, and farther than the 250 TSX. The 300 A-Frame does make a little bigger hole, but in my experience the hole made by the 286 Partition is plenty big--and so far it has impressed every animal shot with it as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
JB,

For clarification, is your experience with the .366 cal 286gr. NP with Cape Buff? If so, mind if I ask how many, shot distance, and angles involved?

Appreciate your feedback.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope, no buffalo. Biggest game taken has been a big British Columbia moose.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
JB,

I'm interested in the design modification you mentioned on the 286-gr. NP. Did Nosler move the partition forward in all of their larger calibers? If you don't mind elaborating on this, it would be much appreciated.

Getting back to the A-Frame, the 370 Sako load with the 286-gr. bullet is on the shelves. Expensive as all-get-out, but available nonetheless. (Guess they had to start somewhere.) I'm just happy that the 9.3's are finally getting some love from American ammo makers.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pleased to see additional options become available for the 9.3 as well!

I'm especially interested in the 286gr. A-Frame as it's my understanding it was obviously designed for the .366

The 250gr. and 300gr. A-Frame currently available for the .366 I'm led to understand is swagged down from the .375 cal bullets....

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
To be fair, and provide clarification that both DakotaDeer and JB may (or may not) be alluding to since this topic is specifically about the .366 cal A-Frame bullets....

It has been said/rumored numerous times over the years on various boards that the 250gr. and 300gr. A-Frame bullets are swagged down from the .375 cal Swift bullets.

There has been reports in the past of these bullets in the 9.3x (and a couple wildcats based off .366) not performing as typically expected. Thus, some folks are hesitant about utilizing said bullets in THIS particular caliber.

The 286gr. bullet is suppose to alleviate and address those previous concerns that some may have had. Initial reports I've heard and read have said that the 286gr. A-Frame is excellent.... and thus the reason for my initial post as since they were not listed on Swifts sight I was concerned that perhaps they had been discontinued...??

Glad to hear they are in production, and I look forward to trying them out for myself.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Full disclosure, the only AFs I've used on Cape buffalo are the 0.423" 400 grain bullets and based my comments on that experience. This shows the danger in generalizing without actually conducting the experiment. I stand corrected. MD, thanks for sharing your experience.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
pinotguy,

The partition is generally farther forward in heavier/fatter Nosler Partitions than in lighter ones. I would hestitate to list exactly which bullets feature this, because Nosler (like many bullets companies) is constantly tweaking its bullets.

The reason they do this is that these bullets are normally used on heavier animals, while the smaller Partitions are more often used on deer. Many people firmly believe that ALL Nosler Partitions will retain about 2/3 of their weight, but this is only true of the smaller bullets, say from .30 caliber on down.

The heavier ones often have the partition moved far enough forward so that the bullet retains 85-95% of its weight, with an average of around 90%. Or at least that's the average for the bullets I've recovered from game. These recovered bullets include the 225-grain .338, 286-grain 9.3mm, 300-grain .375 and 400-grain .416. In addition, the rear jacket is usually beefed up somewhat in these same bullets.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
FOsteology,

Since it's your money we'll all be spending wink , I nominate you to do a side-by-side test of the 286 Partition and new AFrame.

Then we'll have empirical data to go on. I'd like to know how they compare directly for penetration and expansion.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can only say, that I did indeed spend several hours testing various bullets in calibers .338, .375 and .416. The first test was run in an 8ft water tank. A-Frames looked picture perfect in mushrooming and retained all their weight. Nosler's shed some bullet weight but not much really! Northfork, TBBC and A-F's all looked good and expanded in the tank.

The next test was a series of 3/4 inch plywood boards set some 2.5 inches spaced apart, back to back. Now in the front of those boards, I added a piece of 2.5 inch solid oak board, piece of 8 gauge metal, covered with a piece of 1/2 thick conveyor belt.

Bullets tested were the Northfork, Swift A Frame, Nosler Partiton and TB-Bear Claws.

The Northfork bullet penetrated the furthest and the Nosler Partitions penetrated and came in last place, with more bullet weight loss then the others, most lost 35 to 40 percent. Swift A Frames got 2nd place. The A-Frames came in 7.6 inches behind the Northfork bullet which penetrated the deepest in my test. A-Frames came in second, TBBC came in 3rd and Nosler Partition came in 4th.

The Swift A Frame bullets only lost around 5 to 7 percent of their total bullet weight, better than the TBBC and certainly better than the Nosler Partition's.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sorry, but I just can't believe that the .375 and .416 Nosler Partitions only retained 35-40% of their weight, unless the .375's were older ones--or maybe 260's.

I have recovered quite a few of those (as well as 9.3 286's) from game and the LEAST amount weight retention was around 85%. That was a .416 that entered the left rear ribs of a Cape buffalo and ended up in the shoulder on the other side. All the others have retained 88-95% of their weight.

The least amount of weight retention I have seen from any of those three Partitions is about 75%, from a 9.3 286 that was shot into dry newspaper at very close range. It lost all of the front core and most of the peeled-back jacket. But even if you hacksawed all of a 9.3, .375 or .416 off right in front of the Partition it wouldn't lose 35-40% of its weight.

I have also tested the heavier Nosler Partitions against Swift A-Frames in dry newspaper (a more realistic test than plywood, steel, oak, and conveyor belt) and the Partitions have out-penetrated the A-Frames--usually not by much, but they did.
The A-Frames retained more weight (though again not by much) but opened up wider, the rear and as well as the front, the reason they didn't penetrate as deeply.

In fact even when I have tested Partitions and A-Frames in smaller calibers, where the Partitions DO lose about a third of their weight, the penetration has been very similar, because the A-Frames open up into a wide ball.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey John are the Partitions in these heavier calibers cannelured? Anyhow you guys have seem these before but here are my recovered 300gr/375 Swifts l-r:
175yds Eland(298), 125yds Zebra 297(both shoulder)and 65yds wildebeest265(frontal shot recovered near the butthole). the last one is a 180gr ornay recovered from an impala (yes impala)shot on the point of the shoulder quartering towards (80grs recovered)

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, they are all cannelured.

Nice bullets! One thing I like about A-Frames is the big hole they make.

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.