Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AndyG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

With the increased lead bans, I was thinking that I can see this snowballing into a national, or at least a full state by state (or province) ban until there is no lead ammo hunting in all of the US and Canada. I haven't decided yet on how I feel about it. Part of me doesn't want to pay the cost of non toxic ammo, but I worked in the Haz-Mat industry and I know how bad lead really is for people and animals Plus, the enviroment/ecosystem, lead gets into the groundwater. Animals eat grasses, predators/humans eat them and it circles through everything. Or it runs into the streams, lakes, oceans and contaminates fishes. I'm thinking, maybe, long term, it might be the best thing.

Never be upset by getting old, many never get the privilege.

Knock knock. Who's there? 9/11. 9/11 who? You said you'd never forget.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd speculate the move will focus on explosive slugs and rodents. A visit to one of our squirrel shooting fields the subsequent morning is about all the evidence most would need. More hawks, eagles, ravens, and gulls than one can count. We've already done it with waterfowl.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We been shooting lead bullets for 700 years and then some, this like a lot of things is based on Junk science. But yep its going to happen. They are going to discontinue 100 LL avgas. The New fuel is going to be 94 UL or something like that, only it will not work well in about 13. 5 billion dollars worth of aircraft. Knocking problems. But the EPA is pushing it, and the aviation industry is will out of time. In my 35 years of flying I have seen 80 90 100 and 130 go, and using motor fuel in place of 80 for awhile till they started mixing ethenol in to the car gas. Well there is a bright spot in all of this, RR is making a version of the 250-20 Allison turbine that will weigh just 300 lbs and be rated 300 hp and its intended to replace the 500 Lycomings and Continetals, so its going to be Jet A. Only thing is that a new IO-540 Lycoming will set you back maybe 40K and burn 15 gallons an hour, the new RR engine will be about ten times that. A whole bunch of airplanes will become hanger queens. if its not figuired out. Its not broke why fix it. Same for lead bullets.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Where do you think lead comes from originally?

where do you think lead comes from originally?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
AndyG,

Welcome to the campfire.

Hutch,

Before I posted I thought I better read down and what do I find? Some one who has already pointed out what I was going to point out. Eco-job perhaps confussed the orginal poster. Cutting him some slack for now.

Welcome to the 'fire. We are on the same page this time. Maybe we can disagree next time. smile

Last edited by Ringman; 07/27/10.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There has never been a conclusive,non tanited study that lead was responsibble for water fowl deaths, condor deaths or the like. The main cause of death in man from lead has been a lead bullet pasing through him.
The two studies, one done in MN has even been debunked by the FDC and they are notorious for being anti gun

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know how bad lead really is for people and animals Plus, the enviroment/ecosystem, lead gets into the groundwater. Animals eat grasses, predators/humans eat them and it circles through everything. Or it runs into the streams, lakes, oceans and contaminates fishes. I'm thinking, maybe, long term, it might be the best thing.
Propaganda works huh?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, we'll probably see it, just like we had the steel shot deal shoved up our azz... but its a crock IMHO...

I sure wouldn't push it and help them out.. OTOH I use non lead bullets because they are a better projectile to me performance wise... has nothing to do with fear of lead.

Much like lead paint.... I mean if you decide to consume a lot of it.. but it never seemed to hurt folks for many years when they actually WATCHED their kids and had some form of rules/regs for the children to follow, IE disciplined them.. but if you were to go ahead and not care whta the kids did and let them consume a lot of anything.....

Comes down to responsibilities once again...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
AndyG Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

Hutch-
So, because it comes from the Earth, that makes it ok? Go drink some mercury or hemlock and see what happens. Hey, it comes from the earth right.

700LH-
What propaganda. I worked in haz-mat remediation. We mostly did PCB and asbestos remediation. There were jobs doing lead, mercury and coke (coal residue in powerplants). So I know about this type of hazmat contamination and am using it to judge politicians future decisions on lead. I am not an expert by any means, but I am trying to have a discussion about the subject because it affects us all.

Never be upset by getting old, many never get the privilege.

Knock knock. Who's there? 9/11. 9/11 who? You said you'd never forget.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I did Hazmat cleaning/decontamination for 30+ years in underground nuclear test. Berrylium, asbestos, lead, radiocative residue, and activated material.It was not uncommon for us to stack 90-100 tons of lead for radiation shielding per event. I have normal lead counts in my body,but I do have asbestosis in my lungs

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Andy G

Don't plan on drinking mercury or hemlock(whatever that is)but I have and people for thousands of years have drank groundwater that was contaminated with lead with no ill effects.Lead poisoning occurs when a bullets passes through your body or ingesting in large amounts or breathing super heated fumes which none are natural.But I did not sleep in a Holiday Express last night.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If there was any truth behing it, then then would ba NO cattle people or any buzzards, 'yotes etc on the great plains from Texas up to Wyoming,Montana and the Dakotas due to the GAZILLION rounds of lead bullets the buffalo hunters shot up to kill 50 million bison.

copper is at least as toxic as lead and it definitely oxidizes faster.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 07/27/10.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by AndyG

Or it runs into the streams, lakes, oceans and contaminates fishes. I'm thinking, maybe, long term, it might be the best thing.

If you stop shooting at fish your bullets wouldn't run down streams into lakes or the ocean. You sound like a left wing plant.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lead doesn't "run" into lakes and rivers. And if it is there, it doesn't dissolve.

Lemme ask you this. If someone were to pay you, say, $10,000 if you could find a shot lead projectile, would you even bother to look?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not a flame AndyG, but I sure would like for the EPA to show me why I do not have a lead contamination problem in my cattle, grass, hay, water (1 acre pond), ducks, and whatever else in that 25 acre, sloping hillside, that is my firing range.

Have no way of measuring for sure of course, but I'm in no doubt whatsoever there has been tons of lead cast bullets, leadcore bullets, and leadshot inserted into that field and pond over the last 40 some years.

Note - I'm not saying there is no lead contamination problem, I'm just asking why isn't it happening here. Just maybe the lead contaminate thing needs to be looked at from a different approach.

Would seem IMO, many answers to lead contamination cause/effect are not in place yet.

Probably should add, I also have a bit of HazMat experience too. So, I know lead poisoning is not good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Lead doesn't "run" into lakes and rivers. And if it is there, it doesn't dissolve.

Lemme ask you this. If someone were to pay you, say, $10,000 if you could find a shot lead projectile, would you even bother to look?

Bullet or lead shot?

I've pulled up pounds and pounds of lead shot in a study while in college, pretty much every drive with the auger brought results. Now a bullet would be a different story.

Otto is my co-pilot.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Do you think I need to stop casting lead bullets on my kitchen stove? Been doing it since 1968 and no one in my family has been bothered yet except, my wife is sometimes bothered when I don't clean up my mess.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 65 invisible), 3,057 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.