Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Ringman

Most of the guys here have eyes like my buddy. He can get by judging antlers at two miles iwth my Nikons set on 7X. I am not kidding here.

Right..

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Oftenimitated,

I agree with your opinion that 9 or 10X is max for most hunting not for our coues wt.

Oops. I'm sorry Ross, you must have forgotten you're at the Campfire here. Maybe you didn't get the memo. A fixed 6X is best for you. It is. Really, it is. It's best for everything. Including you. Or I'm sure you will be told. tired

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Enrique
What do you guys think of this scope if I decide to go higher magnification?
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexcrossfire6-24x50ao

While the price is tempting, I'd hate to see you depend upon such a low quality scope. I'm pretty sure that one is made in China and it shows.

A much, much, better choice is the Viper 6.5-20. I've used the 50mm version quite a bit and it's one of my favorite entry level LR scopes. The glass is very good for the price level, the tracking is accurate, precise and dead nuts repeatable, it has a lot of travel and has a couple reticles available that can be used to hold over or hold for wind.

I really don't think you can do better for the price. How much I liked this scope was one of the big reasons I ordered two PST's sight unseen. That's been a disappointment so far, but that's another story.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like the video. If you look closely you can see the vapor trail.
Excellent shooting I might add.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Enrique...

A few things... one guy says he shoots worse with more X.... that can be the case.. you see the wobble more and it gets to you mentally. As a general note when you compare scores in long range matches... the difference between iron sights and scopes is generally not nearly as much as you'd think... often only a handful of Xs different with same over all score IE more shots better centered but same size overall group more or less.

But this also tells you you can hit a target a long ways off without much X. Actually without any really. But sometimes target identification becomes more difficult in certain situations. Not all the time but sometimes.

My longest shot has been on 14x through a Conquest... hair over 800.... It could have easily been made with a fixed 4x from years ago... but I have to say, that I could not quite as easily and precisely placed the shot since I could see on 14x a small tuft of off color hair that lent itself to a repeatable aiming point in case I missed.. first shot was called good but a hair low so I put another in... referenced that same exact spot and gave er a hair more.. and dropped the second round into the same animal..... With 6x or 4x I could very easily have made the shot, but possibly not been as precise with the second as a reference.

You have to take it from there.

As to parallax, if you do everything behind the scope correctly... you don't have to worry about it..... if you have AO.. but trust the marks for distance on the scope without verifying... you might be better off without AO...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Like the video. If you look closely you can see the vapor trail.
Excellent shooting I might add.

Thanks.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you have a bright and clear scope it can be done with less. If it is a dedicated CWT rifle, I wouldn't handicap myself with 9x. When I was 21 it might have been OK but not anymore. I have two 4.5-14 Leupies and recently put a 4.5-30 Elite on my CWT rifle. WOW is all I can say. It is fun shooting at 30X. In the field, that might be a little excessive but I can easily turn it down to whatever works.

Personally, I would use a 4.5-14 minimum and a 5-20/5.5-22 being even better.

That said, I shot an 8" (I think) gong last year with Schmitty out to 500 with my 260 Mt rifle and a 2.5-8 VX3 with B&C reticle on it.

Here is a group I shot off the Gunclaw at 500 yds with a 260 Mt rifle, 108 grain Scenars and a 2.5-8 VXIII using the B&C reticle only.

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For Coues I use a 4-12x42 VXII. I used to use a 3-9x40, but for my eyes the advantage rests with the higher magnification when hunting Coues. It stays on low mag unless I see a shooter buck on another mountain.

Other than Coues, I'm not sure 12X buys anything. Doubt it does much harm, either. I just keep it on low mag and don't twist the ring unless the animal is holding still and distant.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would rather spend my money on lower mag., dependable and clear glass than lower quality, higher mag. glass. I would take this scope over the one you cited:
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper3-9x40

I routinely shoot milk jugs and 8" party balloons out to 800 yards, and I use nothing but 3-9x40 scopes. My longest shot on flesh to date was a coyote at 942 yards. Took 1 shot on 9x to seal the deal. If you're using a bright scope with high resolution, you can fore go a lot of X's and still see the target just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jordan Smith,

I would rather spend my money on lower mag., dependable and clear glass than lower quality, higher mag. glass.

What do you think of a high quality higher powered scope?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I would rather spend my money on lower mag., dependable and clear glass than lower quality, higher mag. glass. I would take this scope over the one you cited:
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper3-9x40

Jordan,

I totally agree that high quality, dependable glass of relatively lower mag trumps lower quality, high mag glass. However, I hadn't ever considered the Leupold VXII to be of questionable dependability or quality.

I'll check out the Vortex you mentioned. If it beats the Leupold VXII for quality and dependability at the same price point, and doesn't have a fast-focus eyepiece, I'll consider it for my next scope purchase.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For coues I have always tried to keep it under 600 yards. All but one shot have been over 500 yards. With that being said a 3-9x40 has been all I have needed.
Now since I am expanding my range to be able to shoot out to potentially 700 or 800 yards, I wondering my 3-9x40 is enough or if I need more.
From what I am gathering now I need to at least look at a 4-12x40 or bigger. I am starting to think a 3-15x42 Minox or 6.5-20x44 Vortex would be my best options for my new rifle.

Seems as soon as I get a scope nailed down, I go back to square one. I think I need to do an impulse buy and be done with it.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Jordan Smith,

I would rather spend my money on lower mag., dependable and clear glass than lower quality, higher mag. glass.

What do you think of a high quality higher powered scope?

Nothing wrong with that, either! But those cost more money, I was comparing scopes in the same $$$ range.

I don't mind using my 4-16x40SF Hawke Frontier from time to time. wink I've got that scope mounted on my .22-250. For serious work (hunting), the 3-9x40 comes out.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For coues I have always tried to keep it under 600 yards. All but one shot have been over 500 yards. With that being said a 3-9x40 has been all I have needed.
Now since I am expanding my range to be able to shoot out to potentially 700 or 800 yards, I wondering my 3-9x40 is enough or if I need more.
From what I am gathering now I need to at least look at a 4-12x40 or bigger. I am starting to think a 3-15x42 Minox or 6.5-20x44 Vortex would be my best options for my new rifle.

Seems as soon as I get a scope nailed down, I go back to square one. I think I need to do an impulse buy and be done with it.

Here's a thought: Find a few rocks at 700-800 yards and see what you can do with your 3-9x40. Then make your decision.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I need to do an impulse buy and be done with it.

If that impulse is to buy a 3.5-10x40 with turrets you'd be headed the right direction.

4.5-14 and 4-12 are bonafide shcitt boxes... can't really explain why, but seeing is believing.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
4-16 bushnell 4200's are really something else when it comes to deer hunting...Clarity !

With this scope, you can see 7mm bullet holes at 400 yards on paper.

Light gathering ability on the 40mm is really fantastic, beats the 4.5-14x50mm hands down. Tiny "hunter" target knobs are fantastic and track perfectly.

Remember, you can always turn the power down.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just got my first 4.5-14 w/ parallax adjustment. My highest power next to this was a 3-10x. It might be a bigger heavier scope but it is more capable of shooting accurately to long range IMO.

I think when I go to the range even to shoot 100 yards do I use low power or high power to shoot my most accurate groups? You may not need all the power for closer ranges but you maybe glad you had it if the opportunity is there and you know how to adjust the scope for the distance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
239 members (300_savage, 1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 38 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.