Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I don't deer hunt much anymore, but the hogs are in for some trouble.

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Some of those earlier renegades had some real nice wood. My buddy has one and its got nice grain.

I put a GM 54 roundball barrel in my investarms hawkin and LOVE it. Great shooter, knocks em flat @ under 75 yards (so far) and is nice and long (better sighting immo).

Man, a 58 GM in a TC stock ought ot be a nice setup. Hogs beware!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
This is all pretty interesting. I have a .58 custom shop renegade that does ok-ish with round balls but sucks balls with conicals in spite of the 1-48 twist ... same as a "Big Boar" I used to have with the same twist that shot them great. I've been thinking about keeping the .58 barrel for round ball use and picking up a faster twist .54 green mountain for the days I want to shoot conicals.

I wish GM offered a faster twist .58 ... I'd be on that like flies on stink.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It has a very nice piece of wood. I wish I could post pictures! Just as a side note, I started out at the range with a .015 cotton patch. Groups were around 3" at 50 yards. After 10 shots, I switched to the .018 pillow ticking patches and groups shrank down to one big hole. Big difference that .003 makes. I found some .020 pillow ticking, but I'd have to stand on the ramrod and jump up and down to seat them. Next time I go I'm going to try some T/C Maxi Hunters just for fun. not expecting much from a 1-70 twist, but you never know!

T_O_M - there have been a couple Big Boars on Gunbroker lately, bringing $600 - $700. Amazing. I tried for one, but it quickly went out of my price range. I think I like the double set triggers on the Renegade better anyway.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like the double sets at the range, I'm not as fond of them when I'm hunting. I still hunt and that slows me down a lot. The "set" on my rifle is pretty good, but unset it is pretty nasty, 8 to 12 pounds I'd guess. I'd worked over the single trigger on my Big Boar so it was pretty decent, 2-1/2 pounds maybe, and smooth. I don't know if the double set is throwing me off or if I'm just getting more careful, but I can't get this double set's mechanism "nice" in the unset mode.

One other thing I preferred on the single trigger gun was the trigger guard. The old single trigger renegade and the "big boar" had a pretty smooth trigger guard. The double set trigger rifle has weird hooks 'n' such sticking out which are ok at the bench but snag a lot of stuff in the field. I'd like simpler and more focus on function, less on frippery.

Holy cats, man, that's a lot of money ... about double what I paid for mine.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The "unset" pull on my Renegade is not bad as it is. Probably about 4 pounds, but pretty crisp for a factory trigger. I like the set at the range though.

I don't understand the prices for the Big Boar, but I guess anything is worth what someone will pay for it at the time. If you've got one, now's the time to sell it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wish I still had mine. Other than that misfiring thing, which I understand and could fix, it was the best TC ML I ever owned.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
For whatever reason, they are very popular and commanding big dollars right now. Seems like every time an auction for one ends, someone posts another "like new" one for sale. I've never had the opportunity to shoot one of the Big Boars, but I would like to very much. I understand that they were popular with moose and elk hunters, and probably with good reason. The ones I've seen for sale all had the same story - owner bought it, quickly found out that it was "too much gun" and stuck it in a closet. My .58 really doesn't kick much at all, but everyone has a different tolerence level.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,741
Posts18,401,179
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.