Print Thread
Hop To
M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I have a knife that bears the marks Solingen and Germany. Is this a decent knife as far as steel goes? It always seemed to work well but I snapped off the tip removing an elk leg. Just wondering if it is worth having someone reshape it. Thanks, mtmuley

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not much to go on there.

Solingen is just a City, not the brand of a particular maker. The steel could be anything. That the tip snapped might indicate that it is not top quality.

If you like the blade, have it repaired.

Sam......

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I just looked at it closer, and it says Solingen Cutlery. Also some other markings I can't discern. So the tip snapping off indicates inferior steel? mtmuley

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
as I said, with so little info it is not easy to give a real good answer.
To my knowledge, "Solingen Cutlery" is not a brand name, but tells where the knife was (maybe) made. This would be riding the coat tails of the area.
The blade snapping could well be a mark of inferior steel, heat treat, or just plain operator error.

Sam......

M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm gonna lean toward operator error. When I was prying on the knife, I already knew I shouldn't be. I have another knife marked G.C. Co. Germany on one side, and Solingen 427 on the other. Any ideas about that? mtmuley

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have an old German Bowie with the GC brand on it.

Down by the hilt, this one is marked GC Company Solingen Germany 485

I have no idea what it is worth. Probably not much. It seems to be chrome plated, and being pretty old, not in such great shape.
It was given to me years ago.
[Linked Image]

I know GC made a lot of military blades. Some of those, such as an original parachute knive, are worth several thousand bucks.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 08/08/10.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtmuley
I'm gonna lean toward operator error. When I was prying on the knife, I already knew I shouldn't be. I have another knife marked G.C. Co. Germany on one side, and Solingen 427 on the other. Any ideas about that? mtmuley

As already said Solingen is a city in German that was famous for producing knives. "Solingen steel" as its often called can be excellent (think Puma, Linder ect), but I have no doubt the city must have produced some pretty average stuff as well.

Question is, wht do you think of the blade? Does it take and hold an edge? Do you generally like the steel? Your the person who's best placed to say if its worth reshaping and sharpening..

I'd be interested to see a picture of the knife if you have one??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's an image of a "Solingen" blade given to me when I was about 8 - can't imagine what my father was thinking. I broke off the tip and the steel is soft enough to reshape it with a file. It had a plastic stag handle and a thin brass guard that I've dicarded.
[Linked Image]

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
mtmuley Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Pete, I'll try to get a pic up of both knives. I like both knives, and on one of them I had a friend custom make a handle from African Purple Heart to replace the rotted stacked leather. The other has a carved staghorn handle similar to the one in Mannlicher's photo. mtmuley

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.