Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#4311737 - 08/08/10 07:28 PM Re: How does Wild Hog compare to domestic Pig meat wise [Re: T LEE]
GonHuntin Offline
Campfire Guide

May be just me, but wild hog tastes more like the dark meat on a turkey than domestic pork......it's good stuff!

#4311758 - 08/08/10 07:33 PM Re: How does Wild Hog compare to domestic Pig meat wise [Re: GonHuntin]
stxhunter Online   content
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: south texas-Corpus Christi
this one was about 25-30lbs
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

#4311763 - 08/08/10 07:35 PM Re: How does Wild Hog compare to domestic Pig meat wise [Re: GonHuntin]
Spotshooter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: GonHuntin
May be just me, but wild hog tastes more like the dark meat on a turkey than domestic pork......it's good stuff!

Huh.. that's interesting..

#4311850 - 08/08/10 08:00 PM Re: How does Wild Hog compare to domestic Pig meat wise [Re: Spotshooter]
funshooter Online   content
Campfire Guide

Loc: Communist Mexifornia
you guys are making me hungry

#4312200 - 08/09/10 01:08 AM Re: How does Wild Hog compare to domestic Pig meat wise [Re: Spotshooter]
macrabbit Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: C. Calif
Leaner.
Tastes like pork, but also tastes 'wild'; like quail or dove taste wild (not gamey, just wild).
Same goes for turkey, IMO.

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

#4312239 - 08/09/10 03:39 AM Re: How does Wild Hog compare to domestic Pig meat wise [Re: macrabbit]
maddog Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Indiana
The meat is darker. I just ate some of mine. Did a pork chop, marinated in carribean jerk, Sat. nite. Absolutely awesome! Took boned out ham pieces and marinated them, yesterday. Then at noon, put them in a roaster pan, on racs, added beer/water, and put in the oven at 210 degrees for 4 1/2 hrs. Took it out pulled the pork apart and had BBQ sandwiches! Yummy!

maddog

#4312253 - 08/09/10 03:58 AM Re: How does Wild Hog compare to domestic Pig meat wise [Re: Spotshooter]
Mannlicher Online   happy
Campfire Oracle

Loc: N. Central Florida, and Miami
I find feral hogs to be leaner than domestic.

The big difference in taste though is the result of how the animal is killed and processed. Bear in mind that in a modern slaughter house, death is quick, processing is instant.

Out in the field, death may linger, the animal is pumping adrenalin and lactic acid builds up in the meat.
Throw in field dressing and butchering done in a haphazard and non time sensitive manner, and the meat just won't be as tasty as a commercial pig.

I named my Dog..........wait for it.........Muhammad laugh

#4312266 - 08/09/10 04:14 AM Re: How does Wild Hog compare to domestic Pig meat wise [Re: Mannlicher]
Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Goliad, TX
I have raised hogs, bought hogs for slaughter, trapped and kept feral hogs for fattening (don't bother trying to do this), and killed some undeterminable number of wild (feral) hogs. I prefer the wild ones. I would only slaughter sows for my own use. The barrows would be sold and I only kept boars for breeding. Bought hogs had a "taste" to them, presumably from the feed they had been on. I would keep them on straight corn for about two weeks before I would butcher them. Feral hogs on feed gain so slowly that you're better off eating the corn yourself. A good head or spine shot and a quick bleed on an unexcited feral hog, especially if you've had a good acorn crop (down here at least) will give you some fine eating. I killed an "Acorn fat" boar once that was 400# if he was an ounce and I could not taste any wild or gamey flavor at all.

I won't bother with any hog that has been run by dogs. I've had some people tell me that they couldn't taste anything gamey in the meat but I can.

Alan

#4312409 - 08/09/10 05:41 AM Re: How does Wild Hog compare to domestic Pig meat wise [Re: Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr]
curdog4570 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: North texas usa
As was pointed out earlier - by another Texan I might add - a small boar running with sows will be inedible where even a large boar running alone will be OK . Tough -- but OK .

I've quit head shooting with small calibers and started heart shooting with .25's or 270 cal. They bleed out better than head shots since - unlike butchering - you can't stick 'em quick .

When I shoot a hog , I walk up to it from down wind .If I can smell it , I just walk on by . I've killed 150 lb boars that stunk to high heaven and 400 pounders that didn't smell at all .

I've never killed a sow of any size that wasn't OK .

#4312433 - 08/09/10 05:54 AM Re: How does Wild Hog compare to domestic Pig meat wise [Re: curdog4570]
tx270 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: central texas
Originally Posted By: curdog4570
When I shoot a hog , I walk up to it from down wind .If I can smell it , I just walk on by . I've killed 150 lb boars that stunk to high heaven and 400 pounders that didn't smell at all .

Exactly! If the hog stinks like piss thats how its going to taste.

I even tested that theory a few years ago. I shot two small boars (50# or so) out of the same group, one stunk and one didn't. I went ahead and took the loins out of both and took them to camp. Washed them good and cooked one off each hog that night. Wasn't hard to tell which loin came off which hog, the one that smelled out in the field, he tasted just like he smelled!

Proved it wasn't just in my head, which I had wondered about before.

Bill

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on TAMRON LENSES at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
647 registered (16gauge, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 90 invisible), 1354 Guests and 335 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50675 Members
72 Forums
638814 Topics
9169990 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.