Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Leaner or not ?

Does it taste gamey, or just difference ?

Spot

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
leaner. the big boars are gamey small ones are the best for eating. i like them around 25-50 lbs. made sausage out of a big boar once and had to give it all away. tasted just like what that boar stunk like

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, , very good with proper care after the kill(same with any meat). We like it much better than venison and we like venison.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very lean, have to add lard to cook it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Leaner, for sure. I pull it from the grill more quickly than domestic. Even so, it's awfully tasty.

I've been eating on a guestimated 250 lb. boar from this Spring, & it tastes about like the 4 gilts I've brought home before him. Maybe I got lucky on this one.

To be safe, don't shoot the ones with 'nads the size of grapefruit. And whatever you shoot, get 'em skinned & cool ASAP.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends on what they're eating. If they've been eating acorns, they'll be pretty strong. On grass or barley, they're awesome unless they're big and stinky.

A 200 lb. dry sow on grass or barley is fine eating. I'd pass up a wall hanger boar to shoot one of them any day. They're leaner, so I have 10% domestic pork fat added to the sausage. The hams are awesome..

I've had good boars, but they were young and below 250 lbs.
A big stinky boar might be good for sausage, usually a 50/50 mix.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boars that are with sows will be funky. Lone boars are usually still good, but may be tough. Barrs (castrated boars) are usually very good, as are sows. One diffrence that you will discover is that even a fat feral hog is different from domestic in that the fat will be on the outside of the muscles, like a fat deer, as opposed to fat throughout the meat. I suppose this is due to the constant excersise.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
leaner. the big boars are gamey small ones are the best for eating. i like them around 25-50 lbs. made sausage out of a big boar once and had to give it all away. tasted just like what that boar stunk like

Yep & yep, the smaller the better and sows are much better than the bigger boars. If the boar is run at all and excited the meat STINKS!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
We don't add lard, but then again we don't put any fat in our deer burger. Just grilled some steaks from a pig I shot last winter in Texas and it had just the right amount of fat, at least in the opinion of me and my wife. We have even used the fattier parts of wild pigs to help make deer sausage. But some people like more fat than we do.

My experience is that wild pigs of any size from tiny to up to 150 pounds or so are excellent eating. How much fat they have depends on the pig, their diet, and time of year. Bigger than 150 and they can get iffy, especially boars.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We only keep and eat the 1's under 200lbs.but that's just us.Skeeter

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
May be just me, but wild hog tastes more like the dark meat on a turkey than domestic pork......it's good stuff!

Cancer Sucks
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
this one was about 25-30lbs [Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
May be just me, but wild hog tastes more like the dark meat on a turkey than domestic pork......it's good stuff!

Huh.. that's interesting..

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
you guys are making me hungry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Leaner.
Tastes like pork, but also tastes 'wild'; like quail or dove taste wild (not gamey, just wild).
Same goes for turkey, IMO.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The meat is darker. I just ate some of mine. Did a pork chop, marinated in carribean jerk, Sat. nite. Absolutely awesome! Took boned out ham pieces and marinated them, yesterday. Then at noon, put them in a roaster pan, on racs, added beer/water, and put in the oven at 210 degrees for 4 1/2 hrs. Took it out pulled the pork apart and had BBQ sandwiches! Yummy!

maddog

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I find feral hogs to be leaner than domestic.

The big difference in taste though is the result of how the animal is killed and processed. Bear in mind that in a modern slaughter house, death is quick, processing is instant.

Out in the field, death may linger, the animal is pumping adrenalin and lactic acid builds up in the meat.
Throw in field dressing and butchering done in a haphazard and non time sensitive manner, and the meat just won't be as tasty as a commercial pig.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have raised hogs, bought hogs for slaughter, trapped and kept feral hogs for fattening (don't bother trying to do this), and killed some undeterminable number of wild (feral) hogs. I prefer the wild ones. I would only slaughter sows for my own use. The barrows would be sold and I only kept boars for breeding. Bought hogs had a "taste" to them, presumably from the feed they had been on. I would keep them on straight corn for about two weeks before I would butcher them. Feral hogs on feed gain so slowly that you're better off eating the corn yourself. A good head or spine shot and a quick bleed on an unexcited feral hog, especially if you've had a good acorn crop (down here at least) will give you some fine eating. I killed an "Acorn fat" boar once that was 400# if he was an ounce and I could not taste any wild or gamey flavor at all.

I won't bother with any hog that has been run by dogs. I've had some people tell me that they couldn't taste anything gamey in the meat but I can.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As was pointed out earlier - by another Texan I might add - a small boar running with sows will be inedible where even a large boar running alone will be OK . Tough -- but OK .

I've quit head shooting with small calibers and started heart shooting with .25's or 270 cal. They bleed out better than head shots since - unlike butchering - you can't stick 'em quick .

When I shoot a hog , I walk up to it from down wind .If I can smell it , I just walk on by . I've killed 150 lb boars that stunk to high heaven and 400 pounders that didn't smell at all .

I've never killed a sow of any size that wasn't OK .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by curdog4570
When I shoot a hog , I walk up to it from down wind .If I can smell it , I just walk on by . I've killed 150 lb boars that stunk to high heaven and 400 pounders that didn't smell at all .

Exactly! If the hog stinks like piss thats how its going to taste.

I even tested that theory a few years ago. I shot two small boars (50# or so) out of the same group, one stunk and one didn't. I went ahead and took the loins out of both and took them to camp. Washed them good and cooked one off each hog that night. Wasn't hard to tell which loin came off which hog, the one that smelled out in the field, he tasted just like he smelled!

Proved it wasn't just in my head, which I had wondered about before.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.