Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Posted here to get more responses as I plan on buying in the next couple days.

Cooper Discoverer ATR vs Yokohama Geolander AT/S
Both LT285/75R16 D rated tires. Both have 50k mile warranty.

Cooper is American owned and made in USA. Yokohama are Japanese owned and don't know where they're made. Not a deal breaker but like to buy USA when feasible. Drive out prices are within $10 of each other.

Any technical/performance related reason to get one over the other?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BF Goodrich or Michelin (who owns BFG)

I don't even bother with the others, anymore.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Never had Yokohamas.

I got 76,000 miles out of some Cooper Discoverer HT's on a GMC Yukon XL. That convinced me to buy another set. And, to replace the OEM tires on 2 Corollas with Coopers.

Your mileage may vary. (pun intended grin )

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My mom has those Cooper's on her Tahoe and they've been good tires and will probably make the 50k but not much more. I just put those Yoko Geolander's on my Z-71 and am very impressed so far. I just replaced a set of Bridgestone Duelers (original tires) on my Z that had 79,000 on them so anything will be tough to follow that act.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are literally thousands of vehicles in my area riding on Cooper tires. They are VERY popular in this area. When it comes to tires, tread design is a big deal for me. Especially when comparing tires of approximately equal quality.

In short, I've heard good things about both brands. The description of the tires indicates that they are both all terrain tires, but all tread designs are not created equally and that means a lot to a guy like me who drives on bad roads a good portion of the year. You might check out Tire Rack's website and check the reviews on these 2 tires.

Good luck.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Got a set of Yokos in that size on my truck. Too new to tell right now (10k). They are 8 ply, ride and handle great but I've been told by a gent who pulls a 5th wheel that they are a bit soft and wiggly for that, he has them. He has ~45k miles on his and they look good, so far.

Local tire dealer told me that the Coopers are top notch and he sells a bunch. Good luck.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm on my third set of Cooper discoverer ATRs on my truck, first two sets I put better than 60,000 on each. Haven't tried anything else, haven't had a need to try anything else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
BF Goodrich or Michelin (who owns BFG)

I don't even bother with the others, anymore.

Yep, Michelin, best tire for the money IMHO. YMMV...litterally.

War Damn Eagle!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interestingly enough this is on my list next too unfortunately due to a blowout. Funny part is I walked into our body shop and asked what the repair would run appx( I didn't bring the truck...) and David says... tire blew out and took the rear quarter panel with it.... hmm let me guesss...... COOPER.... yep how did you know... that was enough for me. No more coopers, they were wearing good and I'm calling to see if it was a defect etc...

But after talking to a buddy thats gone from store grunt to upper management in NTB... Michelin is next on my list.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have the Yokohamas on my truck and have been nothing but impressed with them. Run great on the road and have had them in places off-road that an all season shouldn't be with no issues.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cooper ATR is an excellent tire. Been running them for many yrs. And growing up around a family owned tire business, I could have ran anything I wanted.

Yes, they are a Georgia based company.

Last edited by slg888; 08/10/10.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bruinruin
When it comes to tires, tread design is a big deal for me. Especially when comparing tires of approximately equal quality.

http://www.coopertire.com/FI_Uploads/products/tires/enlarge/Discvr_ATR_Tread.jpg

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar_ats.aspx

Both good lookin tires with the edge going to the geolander, looks wise, but good reviews so far on cooper's too (thanks) and they're USA owned/made.

Michelins would cost at least $250 more and are French owned, FWIW.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Cooper's on all of my service and construction vehicles. We've never had anything but good luck with them. I've actually had a couple of the 3/4 ton service vans make it seventy thousand on a set.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Crap. If you had just said that happened to you I might've thought just a bad tire, but the body shop guy figuring it was a Cooper based on the description....that's a little different. Who knows, maybe just a coincidence.

Just curious, don't you have a 3/4 ton Ford or something? Reason I ask is this is going on a 3/4 ton 4wd with the 7.3.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
My mom has those Cooper's on her Tahoe and they've been good tires and will probably make the 50k but not much more. I just put those Yoko Geolander's on my Z-71 and am very impressed so far. I just replaced a set of Bridgestone Duelers (original tires) on my Z that had 79,000 on them so anything will be tough to follow that act.

Love the Dullars but man did they go up in price since the last time. $1100 for a set of 265-65-17's.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yep, 17s will bite you in your azz.
Cooper Discoverer ATR LT285/75R16 = $170
Cooper Discoverer ATR LT285/70-17 = $219
same tire shop

That new Dueler Revo 2 is supposed to be "the tire" but they sure are proud of em.

My wife's 1/2 ton FX4 has 17s and will be due for tires soon. Prolly just go with a P series 265.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had the ATR's on my Explorer and had great luck with them.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Good luck with Coopers here as well.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Got 75,000 out of a set of Michelins on my Crew Cab 350 Ford. A lot of that was off road stuff too, and I was impressed.

1Minute
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've run Cooper on various vehicles for over 20 years now.

They are just as good of a tire as anything else in their price range. Tire blowouts are NOT exclusive of any partucular brand- no matter what some all knowing body shop dude says.

I would rather spend my $$ on an AMERICAN made product.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.