Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
raghorn, there is no reasoning with some people...

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by statjunk
Did you guys see the picture of that rifle? Can you honestly say that you'd send a guy your rifle after seeing what he did to that rifle?

In my opinion, that isn't an if he makes it right scenario. There is no way that is even marginally acceptable. Not in any circle anywhere.

Tom

Did you see the rifle? I mean actually see the rifle that this is all about. Did you see the work order? Were you there to hear what was expected and actually agreed on as far as what was to be done to the rifle? Or are you going on a picture you saw on the internet, like I am?

I think you're assuming things and that you may be safe in doing so, but
you never know for sure unless you were there. In the meantime; no, I wouldn't send the guy any work until I was satisfied that this issue was resolved in a way that would make me happy if that were my rifle. From what I've read here, that hasn't been done because from what I've read here, we can assume that the rifle didn't come back the way it was supposed to and the wrong hasn't been righted. That raises suspicion, and I wouldn't send a rifle off to be worked on if I were suspicous of what might happen to it.
This can still be resolved one way or another, but I don't think that's happened yet.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That cerakote looks like it was done with a rattle can wielding 5 year old.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to be blunt here:

Even though Mr. Coleman apologized for his shotty work & is probably a very nice guy, after seeing the pics of his work, he'd be the last guy I'd have build a rifle for me. An apology does not make up for shotty/inferior work!!

I've seen disaster pics from other gunsmiths too - they are also on my "DO NOT USE" list. (I am not trying to single Mr. Coleman out here)

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

Did you see the rifle? I mean actually see the rifle that this is all about. Did you see the work order? Were you there to hear what was expected and actually agreed on as far as what was to be done to the rifle? Or are you going on a picture you saw on the internet, like I am?

I think you're assuming things and that you may be safe in doing so, but
you never know for sure unless you were there. In the meantime; no, I wouldn't send the guy any work until I was satisfied that this issue was resolved in a way that would make me happy if that were my rifle. From what I've read here, that hasn't been done because from what I've read here, we can assume that the rifle didn't come back the way it was supposed to and the wrong hasn't been righted. That raises suspicion, and I wouldn't send a rifle off to be worked on if I were suspicous of what might happen to it.
This can still be resolved one way or another, but I don't think that's happened yet.

Unless that smith were to write in that the rifle pictured is not the one that he worked on, yes I will continue to assume. I read the thread I know that isn't the case.

He paid over $1,500 for that level of work. I can safely determine from that picture that he likely got around -$500 worth of it. It's the smith that owes the gun owner as in he should get his $1500+ back plus an additional $500 for the trouble.

I just sent out a rifle to be worked on. If it came back like that I be so [bleep] furious that I'd want to get on a plane. I wouldn't because in the end it just isn't worth it but mentally that's where I'd be.

Getting back on topic there is no way I'd send my rifle back to that smith for a redo. It might come back colored with Crayola and bedded with popsicle sticks.

Tom

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I agree with you in theory, but until I hear questions answered from the people involved, I won't condemn a guy from something on the internet...not that anyone gives a hoot what I think anyway. The two people involved with this thread need to work things out.
Your reference to popcicle sticks reminds me of why I don't believe pictures and accusations from the internet. That goes back to a sham about MPI stocks, where I personally went and talked to the owner of MPI about it and I came away with no distrust of MPIs work.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by raghorn
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
[quote=elkrazy]I think Mr. Coleman's candid response is to be commended. I have never had him build something but his response - together with an obvious large number of very happy clients - would make me very comfortable to build.

My profession is one with the lawyers circling waiting for a mistake, so I might be a little sensitive to the imperfect nature of all us - a mistake is always lurking around the corner. It is to bad that our society wants to find someone to blame for everything - it makes is hard to say "I goofed". This typically brings in the vultures.

Takes a good man to admit he's wrong. Mickey's moved up a coupla notches on my scale.

You got to be kidding ! Evidently you don't know the difference between a "mistake" and [bleep] work.
wink

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You Yanks are not alone in this respect....the trick is to frequent the fellow who does best work in the field that you require.

I had one prima donna send one of my rifles back with emery scratches on the left side of the action, another turkey sent me a rifle with a hexagonal chamber.....another removed a foresight with an oxy!!

One smith whom I have frequented on a regular basis sent back one of my work rifles with a slight ring around the neck, and asked me to send it back so that he could remedy his mistake.....I promptly told him to f__off, and he was not getting it back until it needed a new barrel........it shot very well.

It really is horses for courses....it you are paying for custom work on a personal hunting rifle, you can reasonably expect perfection commensurate with your expenditure.

If, on the other hand, you are having basic work done to a work rifle, then all that counts is that it functions and shoots flawlessly.

When I get off my lazy, hairy black arse and have my model 21 built into something interesting and personal........I damn well will be expecting that ten grand of my hard earned should buy me absolute perfection.

As an aside, each of the first three characters refunded my coin extremely quickly.....the other Gentleman shall continue to receive my custom as his work is consistently superior.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by no_one

As an aside, each of the first three characters refunded my coin extremely quickly.....the other Gentleman shall continue to receive my custom as his work is consistently superior.
Wish I could have got some of that 3200.00 back laugh ------------------------------------- eek.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
[quote=elkrazy]I think Mr. Coleman's candid response is to be commended. I have never had him build something but his response - together with an obvious large number of very happy clients - would make me very comfortable to build.

My profession is one with the lawyers circling waiting for a mistake, so I might be a little sensitive to the imperfect nature of all us - a mistake is always lurking around the corner. It is to bad that our society wants to find someone to blame for everything - it makes is hard to say "I goofed". This typically brings in the vultures.

Takes a good man to admit he's wrong. Mickey's moved up a coupla notches on my scale.

It isn't the lawyers. Its the people who hired the lawyers becasue they were harmed by mistakes.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bxroads
You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink

And there are varying degrees of what passes for "gunsmithing " these days.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.