Print Thread
Hop To
G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
HELP! Found an EW Model 70 in .300WSM at a good price. I liked everything I saw, EXCEPT, forend could have been thinner(I can live with that), BUT THE TRIGGER WAS TERRIBLE! I have adjusted triggers on earlier model 70's, Kimber's, Sako's, Rem, etc. Creep was hardly noticeable, no or little overtravel, but the weight of pull was totally unexceptable. It seemed to me that it must have been set at 6 lbs or more. I realize this is supposed to be Winchester's be all, end all trigger. I was NOT IMPRESSED. I will admit that I usually hunt with a Sako or Kimber, who's triggers are easily adjustable, with a pull weight from 2 to 3 lbs. If you own an FN, S.C. Model 70 was your rifle trigger pull this heavy when you first bought your rifle? Were you able to get a 2 to 3 lb pull with no creep or overtravel?

I would love to have this rifle, but a heavy trigger pull won't do for me. Am I worrying about something that can be easily fixed? I would expect that most of you guys would agree with me, that having a good trigger is essential for an accurate hunting rifle.

Should I pass on this buy ($800.00) or buy the damn thing and hope to work the trigger issues out? I wish that they had left the older trigger, why in hell fix something that not's broke.

Look forward to hearing from you FN S.C. Model 70 owners.

Tell me what you think,
G2

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The triggers are adjustable, and I think you can get some springs that swap in easily in case you want to take the pull weight even lower.

Last edited by darrenk75b; 08/04/10.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Both of mine easily adjusted to slightly over three pounds.Yes there are springs available to get you all the way to two pounds if you like, they look very easy to install also.http://erniethegunsmith.com/index.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put the Ernie the gunsmith spring in it. I have mine at 2.5 lbs.

If it is something other than that, I'm sure Winchester would replace the trigger and you won't be out anything but a little shipping.

JM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Gramps2
HELP! Found an EW Model 70 in .300WSM at a good price. I liked everything I saw, EXCEPT, forend could have been thinner(I can live with that), BUT THE TRIGGER WAS TERRIBLE!
laugh
I have adjusted triggers on earlier model 70's, Kimber's, Sako's, Rem, etc. Creep was hardly noticeable, no or little overtravel, but the weight of pull was totally unexceptable. It seemed to me that it must have been set at 6 lbs or more. I realize this is supposed to be Winchester's be all, end all trigger. I was NOT IMPRESSED.
laugh

Should I pass on this buy ($800.00) or buy the damn thing and hope to work the trigger issues out? I wish that they had left the older trigger, why in hell fix something that not's broke.
(Angels singin' here) laugh

Time will tell, but IMVHO, Winnie screwed the pooch on this SC M70 WOWZA trigger...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Gramps,

Don't fret the trigger. if it doesn't adjust easily for you then go buy a replacement. The rifle is worth it!

CLB

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You can replace the spring but I found very little difference doing that. Not a good trigger but it is a great rifle. An aftermarket trigger will be available eventually.

Tom

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
you just have to wonder what the heck was wrong with a trigger that served quite well since 1936 or so??

must have been some jr. engineer who came up with this one.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I liked the old trigger better also but what is really wrong with the new trigger??? Mine adjusted down to almost three pounds with no creep or overtravel. I really find this a good situation in a hunting rifle!!

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
HELP! Found an EW Model 70 in .300WSM at a good price. I liked everything I saw, EXCEPT, forend could have been thinner(I can live with that), BUT THE TRIGGER WAS TERRIBLE! I have adjusted triggers on earlier model 70's, Kimber's, Sako's, Rem, etc. Creep was hardly noticeable, no or little overtravel, but the weight of pull was totally unexceptable. It seemed to me that it must have been set at 6 lbs or more. I realize this is supposed to be Winchester's be all, end all trigger. I was NOT IMPRESSED. I will admit that I usually hunt with a Sako or Kimber, who's triggers are easily adjustable, with a pull weight from 2 to 3 lbs. If you own an FN, S.C. Model 70 was your rifle trigger pull this heavy when you first bought your rifle? Were you able to get a 2 to 3 lb pull with no creep or overtravel?

I would love to have this rifle, but a heavy trigger pull won't do for me. Am I worrying about something that can be easily fixed? I would expect that most of you guys would agree with me, that having a good trigger is essential for an accurate hunting rifle.

Look forward to hearing from you FN S.C. Model 70 owners.

Tell me what you think,
G2

I have a new FN SC Model 70 Featherweight in 7-08.
Trigger pull as received from the SC Factory was set at 5 pounds. There was zero creep, and zero overtravel, and the trigger break was/is exceptional. I shoot the rifle so well that I decided to leave it at 5 pounds, as I can "get into" the trigger very well.
I could pick the stuff that FN has the adjusting screws covered with, and set it down to 3 pounds, but my first outing with the rifle produced three shot, 1/2" groups for two different bullet weights, so I'm not in a hurry to change the trigger pull.
I did sent FN SC and e-mail suggesting they set triggers on new rifles to 3 pounds as opposed to 5 pounds.
I'm not the least bit unhappy with the trigger pull on my rifle.
My Rugers and Remingtons bought new needed trigger work too, and that's not a big job fixing them.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Fellow Campers, thanks to your recommendations I now own a Model 70 EW in .300WSM. The heavy trigger pull almost cost me a great rifle at a good price. Your pro's outweighed the con's. I went ahead and ordered a trigger spring from erniethegunsmith, and when it comes in I will tackle the trigger issue. I am probably too pickey about triggers, but I hate to have the cross hairs on game and squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze the trigger for what seems like an eternity I want to thank all of you for your very helpful advice.

Thanks,

G2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Gramps,

You'll like the trigger when you get it right for you.
And, I do like that 300 WSM as I think it is THE best of all the WSM's. Recoil is not objectionable for me, and accuracy is good. A hunting buddy up here has one, and I shot his rifle.
Have you tried adusting the pull weight using the adjusting screw on the trigger? Reason I ask is you may not need a new spring. IIRC, Winchester advertises the pull weight range from about 3 pounds up to what mine is.

Last edited by DMB; 08/05/10.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
DMB,

I have not tried to adjust the trigger pull weight screw. I was going to wait until I got trigger spring from earnie. I do have a question. Will adjusting the trigger pull weight screw in any way affect the take up or overtravel?

Thank you,

G2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
G2,

No it won't. At least it didn't on my two rifles.

I think I know what kind of guy you are. I don't think you're going to like the trigger.

For me the other fault of the trigger is the geometry. Depending on where you put your finger you get very different pull weight. If you have a scale test it. I did it to mine and there was more than 3/4 lb of difference.

Don't fret. You bought an amazing rifle. Hang on because the triggers will be here eventually.

Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...I am probably too pickey about triggers, but I hate to have the cross hairs on game and squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze the trigger for what seems like an eternity I want to thank all of you for your very helpful advice.

Thanks,

G2

Do you forget to take the safety off like I do? shocked grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jglenn
you just have to wonder what the heck was wrong with a trigger that served quite well since 1936 or so??

must have been some jr. engineer who came up with this one.
As soon as Browning got into this company I knew they'd screw around with it and do something silly.. I don't mean to rag on this subject, but I wish they'd have left the dang trigger alone and spend more time/money on a seriously good barrel.

When you can market a rifle that will put all three inside 3/4" with factory fodder on a consistent basis, you'll sell all the rifles you can produce..

But that's just me..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
DBM, adjusting your trigger down to 3 pounds is pretty simple if you decide to fool with it.

I recently cleaned off the epoxy and backed out the pull weight set screw on a SC Model 70's trigger. I used a really sharp exacto knife to gradually chip away at the epoxy and then used the tip of the blade to clean out the allen head of the screw. The set screw is 1/16", I think. It took about 30 minutes, but it helped the trigger some. I haven't measured it the new pull. It's still a bit heavier than I'd like but manageable. If someone makes a good aftermarket trigger for it, I'll buy one in a heartbeat.

Now if I could just get rid of the fliers - it always puts two shots about half an inch apart and the 3rd round is always kicked out to the right and inch or inch and a quarter away!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...I am probably too pickey about triggers, but I hate to have the cross hairs on game and squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze the trigger for what seems like an eternity I want to thank all of you for your very helpful advice.

Thanks,

G2

Do you forget to take the safety off like I do? shocked grin

I did that last year on a cow elk. Of course I immediately tried to lie my way out of it, but my pard was watching me and I had to fess up. blush grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you have a minute.

Fill out this survey at Timney.

http://timneytriggers.com/trigger-survey.cfm

I've already filled on out so I'm not going to do it again.

Tom

G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
MAKING A WINCHESTER MODEL 70 M.O.A. USER FRIENDLY

REVIEW AND STUDY OWNERS MANUAL ESPECIALLY PAGES 19-22 THEN FOLLOW
INSTRUCTIONS YOU CAN GET FROM erniethegunsmith.com OR JUST COPY FROM HIS WEB SITE

Make sure when you begin to take trigger unit (two pins, SEE MANUAL) out NOTE HOW AND WHERE BOLT STOP AND SPRING SITS AND FUNCTIONS.

My fears of the Win Model 70 MOA trigger have to a great degree been put to rest. I invested in a trigger spring from Ernie and went to work. I now have a new Model 70 EW, that has NO CREEP, A TRIGGER PULL WEIGHT OF 3 LBS OR LESS, AND NO OVERTRAVEL.

It is not difficult, just be patient. I DO RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO THE WORK IN A CONFINED AREA WITH A LIGHT COLORED FLOOR. I let the new TS jump out and spent 30 min looking for the darn thing. And that was over a light color tile on the kitchen floor.

When you re-install the TS screw, screw it down, then back it out until you find a trigger pull weight that is right for you.
The TS screw will fall out if you back it out to far. I backed mine out .300" from front of trigger housing. I used my wife's clear finger nail glue to keep TS screw in place. I did not want to use Red Locktite, Epoxy or Super Glue for obvious reasons. I have also used finger nail polish.

I always recommend that the bolt be slammed home several times to make sure that the sear is holding, I also bounce the butt of the rifle on the floor (carpet) a few times just to be safe.

RECOMMENDATION: IF YOU ARE REALLY NOT A GUN GUY, JUST A HUNTER, AND UNSURE OF THIS PROJECT, ORDER A MODEL 70 LIGHT M.O.A. SPRING FROM ERNIE, AND TAKE YOUR MOD 70 TO A GUNSMITH.

Good luck,

G2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

435 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 35 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.