Print Thread
Hop To
E
elkrazy Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I am testing different bullets in my 270 Winchester for an upcoming elk hunt. Several bullets show excellent results including the 130 grain swift scirocco. Does any body have experience with this bullet on elk?

I will be hunting in open country - with shots up to 350 yards or so.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have one unopened box and a half a box for sale if you're interested. Tried the classifieds for a couple weeks, no takers.
PM me if you're interested in stocking up.
Also, no experience on elk with these at the range you're hunting with, proper shot placement I'd be confident in using them. I have no drop to 200, 5 inches at 300yds.
Let me know if you're interested.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took a 6 point bull last fall at about 375 yards with a 130 grain Scirocco II .264" out of a 264 Win Mag. The bullet did the job with no complaints on my part. I did not recover the bullet. I have taken some elk with a 270 and plain old cup and core bullets with no problems. You will have no excuse for failure except for operator error. Load it up and buy some freezer wrap.

8mmwapiti

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is hard for me to imagine a Scirocco failing at that range or any other where the velocity is high enough to ensure expansion.

While I've not taken any game with them yet, I load the 130g for my 6.5-06 Ackley. Not at all concerned about how the bullet will perform, antelope, deer or elk.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
elkrazy
I am probably one of the least experienced kritter killers here, but will give you my experience with Scirocco bullets.
Several years ago, I was working in a gun store and was hearing accounts of them being inconsistent in terms of expansion, I chalked that up to some sour grapes due to poor shooting. I started using them in my 7 RM because Mule Deer had written that they were individually tested for concentricity on a Juenke machine. They shot very well in my rifle.
I shot one mature mule deer buck at 425 paces, and the bullet performed well, penetrating diagonally from front shoulder to hip.
With a bullet from the same box, and about a half mile away, I shot an antelope through the lungs at about 60 yards and heard the bullet ricochet of the earth after it went through her. She ran perhaps 150 yards and died. There was very little internal damage.
A year or two later, on a quick shot at a cow elk, I hit the spine in just behind the last rib. The bullet blew a crater in the animal and did not break the spine. She had to be shot again.
Later, in discussions here at the campfire, Mule Deer related that in discussions with Swift, he couldn't determine if they did actually test each bullet on a Juenke tester. (Hope I am spelling that correctly)
I tried to recreate the blow up by shooting into test medium (a anti-freeze jug filled with water in front of dry newspaper) but couldn't do it.
However, based on reports from others of inconsistent expansion and my limited experience of the same thing, I stopped using Scirocco bullets, even though they have a new version. There are just too many bullets out there that I KNOW are going to work to chance using one I am not confident in.

Just my admittedly very limited experience.

Fred

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've killed a bunch of elk using a 270WSM shooting 140g Barnes bullets. I suspect your 270WCF shooting 130s will work just fine.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The only 130 grain Swift Scirocco .277 bullets I ever used shot 4 inch groups out of a rifle that never shot worse than 1.25 inch groups with ANY bullet. Maybe just a bad lot of bullets but it turned me off to them.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,324
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.