Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Recently I've developed a desire to have a nice wood stocked LH rifle.
I'd like a Kimber but they are jerks and they don't make a LH rifle. grin

Cooper does make a LH rifle and I've been looking at the regular Cooper Classic repeater chambered for the great .270WCF.
With a few upgrades and the LH option I'm looking at ~$2000. To make that happen I'd have to send a few of my other rifles down the road. Not a problem for most of my rifles but I really like my LH 700KS .270. Selling that would be hard for me to do but it would have to be done in my present financial position.

Who here has experience with Cooper rifles?

Are there any other LH bolt rifles stocked in nice wood that I'm overlooking?

How about having my 700KS restocked in nice wood?

Just in the kicking it around stage here but am interested in hearing about Cooper rifles.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
BP-B6

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Even though they are a fine rifles,a couple of problems with the Coopers for what you need.

1st- the m52- their long action bolt repeater is HEAVY. It was about 8lbs+ sans scope.

2nd- Due to their three lug bolts and steep cocking nothc ramps-the cocking effeort on Coopers is rough for shots from the shoulder. The bolt sure don't work like m700 from the shoulder .

3rd. To get TRULY high grade wood on any Cooper you are looking at sending them 600-$1,000 JUST for the wood upgrade on standard Classic.

I would buy the blank from a good vendor for about $500 or so and then send it to Cooper. They charge a handling fee of $100 for your wood. Most dealers discount that a bit. It is worht it as you can inspect/approve the blanks before it is milled into your stock.

For a Cooper as you are wanting -you are looking at about $2,500 +

$1,500 to $2,000 would build one HELL of a walnut stock for any m700 if it was made by a reasonable smith like Dennis Olson of Montana.

Last edited by jim62; 08/16/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
nsaquam:I am not familiar with Coopers,but would not sell the KS to get it.You know and trust the KS,so don't leave yourself without a trusted rifle to buy a new one...evaluate what else you have that is expendable,sell those to work toward the "dream" wood stocked rifle....but don't sell a trusted friend for an as yet unknown commodity.

Look at the dream rifle as a longer term goal until finances improve and the new rifle is within reach.

I speak from bitter experience here..... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like eminently logical advice guys.

As I was typing my post I thought of just having a nice walnut stock made for my KS and the more I think about it the more I like that idea.

Jim, I didn't realize that the Cooper was so heavy and although I know that less bolt rotation equals steeper cocking ramps I hadn't considered that as a factor.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would worry about selling off rifles I liked, and end up not liking the fit or feel of the Cooper.

For me, there is more to liking a rifle than just the grain of the stock.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nox2
There's something about the Cooper stocks that leaves me cold.
The forends are too thick.
I don't own a Cooper, and probably won't in the future.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nsa,

How do you plan to hunt with the rifle?

The reason I ask is if you mostly ambush animals and don't do alot of walking, the weight won't be a big issue.

3-Lug bolts do pressure up when you start the lift; but It also has the benefit of having a shorter throw, so you won't get your hand into the scope either.

If you have several rifles that don't get used I would consider doing it, but only after I handled one and made sure it was what I wanted.

I have shot 4 Coopers, but only one was a wood stocked rifle. All were very accurate and very well made.

JM

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'd sell several Brownings to buy anything else..... whistle

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was ready to sell one sat. after my trip to the range...

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tis a poor workman who blames his tools.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not me. I'm not a wood worshipper. I buy my guns to shoot and hunt with. There are plenty of guns that look nice but not gorgeous, that shoot just as well for half the price.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
the Montana boys are getting kinda pesky this morning shocked

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You misundertsand.

It shot so good that others at the range were throwing money at me, begging to buy it for 3,4,5 times what I paid... whistle

I was tempted to sell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nsaqam

How about having my 700KS restocked in nice wood?

Surely you jest... shocked

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You misundertsand.

It shot so good that others at the range were throwing money at me, begging to buy it for 3,4,5 times what I paid... whistle

I was tempted to sell.

Yep...and I have a goose that lays golden eggs out in a coop in the back...
Lee24 did the genetic work on it..

Ingwe

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think the beauty and Hunter of the Coopers is the Model 54 SA in a 7mm-08. 6.5 lbs. sans scope. Now that is the temptation...
Buckfever1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a classic in .270. Several guys in my hunt camp have sold there rifles for a Cooper .270 since hunting with me. They probably think it is all the rifle, but it does make a guy look good when his rifle drives tacks as far as he can drive it.

I sure like mine.

7.5 lbs
Stiff bolt shooting off hand? Never experienced that with the excaliber or classic.

I know that little 50 yard test target don't matter much, but ... [Linked Image]

Hang a pic when you get it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rather than sell guns to buy another one, I just save up and get another gun, but my guns are all like family and unless they shoot like absolute dogsh!t after full load development with multiple bullet weights, I won't sell any of them. I see guns as similar to toilet paper in this sense, there's no such thing as too much of either one. grin

Last edited by SAUMHUNTER79; 08/17/10.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You know your economic situation better than anybody else. So that is your business.

However to your question. Yes-by all means. I would gladly sell two or three or four rifles that I thought were inferior if I could afford to upgrade to one fine piece of craftsmanship. I have done the exact same thing.

I know a guy who has 25 sub $200 muzzle loaders. And all he talks about is a custom built flint lock. I just shake my head. I would sell off as many of his 25 rifles that I had to in order to get the money for that one rifle.

The only flaw in your idea is that in order to get nice wood in a Cooper it is going to cost more than $2,000. They have lowered the quality of their wood, and raised the price.

Do you like single shot rifles?? There are some nice single shots out there. I really like the #1's. I am also a lefty. But I like the single shots.

Selling to upgrade is not a bad idea IMO. I have certainly done it. In rifles and optics. Tom.

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 08/17/10.

West By God Virginia
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.