-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Haven't spent much time behind a peep sight before this and I'm impressed so far. Still a little concerned that the front sight will be too large at longer distances. It's the standard Lyman fiber optic front sight on the newer Deerstalkers. Only stretched it 50 yards so far, but wow, what difference over Vs, buckhorns and two dot rear sights.

Now, I wouldn't call the adjustments 1/4 minute of angle, but they are pretty repeatable and consistent.

Been using the target aperature so far, but that hunting one seems a little too large for me.
I'm sure it will help in low light situations though. Do any of you hunt with the target sight? Think that the fiber optic front sight would make up for the smaller aperature in low light situations? Do any of you change between hunting and target aperatures in the field?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I upgraded to a globe front. Works terrific for all applications especially with my now 50 year old eyes.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How's the globe front (Lyman 17?) do in low light?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My GPR is almost 30 years old and has the original blade front sight. I use the hunting aperture to sight it in with a six o'clock hold and then hunt with just the threaded opening--no disc aperture. It has worked fine for me on the few elk that I have taken with it, but they were all shot at ranges between about 25-70 yards.

I can hit a 10" gong off-hand, sitting, at 100 yards every shot if I do my part. At 150 yards, I hit it only about half the time, so I pretty much figure 125 is my limit. So far, I haven't had to try to confirm that on game...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by exbiologist
How's the globe front (Lyman 17?) do in low light?

Great, because it is letting whatever light is still about get back to you instead of blocking it.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I also have a Deer stalker with the 57 peep sight. Personally I hate the fiber optic front sight. My term for them is junk. But that is just an opinion.

The first thing I did was replace the front sight with a taller white front bead. The white shows up better for me, and it is smaller in size. I also went with the taller sight because it allows more light to surround the pin, therefore increasing my shooting hours. I have a couple of the globe front sights also. But I do not like them for a hunting rifle. Personally I get more light from a tall white bead.

They also make what is called a twilight peep for your sight. Take a look at one of them. I really like mine. Tom.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 08/10/10.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, but how does that white bead do in the snow when hunting wintercoat hares or Yetti's!!!! Not so good I am guessing smile

Actually, a white bead is one of the most popular front sights in Africa. Been working great there and here for a hundred years or a bit more now.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have been experimenting with front sights on my Lyman Deerstalker. I had the Lyman 57 peep, but did not like how big it was and frequently would smash my thumb/nail upon recoil due to my hand position. I actually now have a T/C peep which is a much less obtrusive sight to me. I did drill out the insert to allow more light in; often I�ll just remove the insert and hunt it like a �ghost ring� especially towards evening.

I added a short front ramp to my barrel in order to use a taller sight, yet keep the sight blade shorter and less apt to be damaged. I initially used a white round bead but have replaced it with an XS front sight with the white line. Perfect! The flat sight picture is great for precision with the white line.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I put the 57 on my Hawken one year. Had the large peep too. Seen a nice buck in dim light and I could not find him in the peep.
I have the same trouble with pistol scopes on revolvers, can't see the cross hairs or deer. I use red dots now.
Best if you take your gun outside in different light conditions and see if you can use the peep for hunting. We don't see many deer here in full daylight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,857
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.