Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I saw this in the grocer's today.

Will slices make good steaks?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that is what is 'round' steak that we always used for chicken fried steak and the likes. Going to be tougher than the conventional cuts you see on menus since its coming from the leg, gets used a lot more than the back muscles.

Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thanks. I googled it and it should make a nice roast.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use the "eye-of-round" (about 2� to 3 lb cut) to make London broil. Broiled/baked to medium-rare, thinly sliced on the bias and accompanied by Hunter's Sauce and "match-stick" veggies (mushrooms, turnips, carrots with some finely-diced shallots), it makes a truly great dinner for four.

Here's my recipes for 'em:

LONDON BROIL
(serves 4 generously)

Rather than using the "standard" flank steak (the strips of muscle along the sides of the stomach) for this London Broil, have the butcher cut you a nice, lean 2� to 3 pound eye-of-the-round. Then prepare it as follows and serve with the Hunter's Sauce and the Saut� of Fresh Veggies.

Mince 3-4 large cloves of fresh garlic, add to a microwave safe dish with 3-4 tablespoons of butter, melt in the microwave for one minute (more or less), but don�t �brown� the garlic.

Preheat the oven to 500�, put the roast in a baking pan or dish & baste the roast all over with the garlic butter mixture. Roast @ 500� until roast is well �browned� all over, then lower the oven temperature to 275�, baste with the garlic butter again and roast until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 145� for medium-rare doneness. If the meat isn�t getting done fast enough, increase the oven temperature to 300�. If you wish, baste the roast occasionally with the remaining garlic-butter mixture for added flavor.

If you prefer the meat "medium", remove the meat from the oven when its internal temperature is 150�.

After the meat has rested for 5-15 minutes, slice the meat on the diagonal into thin slices. Pour any accumulated meat juices into the Hunter's Sauce for added richness. If the meat gets too cool, don�t be concerned. The hot Hunter�s Sauce will warm the meat up again when it is spooned over the sliced meat on the diner�s plate.

While the meat is roasting, make the Hunter's Sauce, but don�t start the Saut� of Fresh Vegetables until 15-20 minutes before you intend to serve them. The Hunter's Sauce will "hold" well, but the Saut� of Fresh Vegetables won't since they are to be served "au dent�" (�by the tooth� or tender-crisp).

RON�S SAUCE CHASSEUR
(Hunter�s Sauce)
(sufficient for a 2�-3 pound London Broil)

1/3 lb. Mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
� cup Peeled, chopped canned tomatoes
3 T. Butter
4 T. Shallots, minced
1 cup Beringer�s Merlot (red) Wine
2 cans 14oz. ea. your favorite canned beef broth (Swanson�s?)
2 T. Dried tarragon, crushed
2 T. Cornstarch dissolved in 8 T. of beef broth, stirred well

1. Add the broth into a sauce pan and reduce by half over med.-high heat. Set aside approx. 8 T. of the broth to add to the cornstarch later.
2. Clean mushrooms & tomatoes, set aside in separate bowls.
3. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat, add mushrooms, shallots, salt & pepper to taste, cook about 10 minutes.
4. Add wine & simmer briefly over high heat.
5. Add the tomatoes, beef broth & tarragon, cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes into small pieces.
6. Blend the cornstarch & cool broth together, mix well and slowly add to the mixture over med.-high heat while stirring the mixture constantly. Allow to thicken (about 1-3 minutes), then turn the heat down to �warm� and cover to keep the sauce warm.

I found that the �eye of round� was a better, more tender piece of meat for the London Broil than the flank steak which is traditionally used.

NOTE: Juices from the sliced London Broil (or whatever meat you�re using) should be added to the Sauce Chasseur before serving. They will greatly improve the flavor & character of the sauce. Make this sauce with the �London Broil� recipe and serve with a recipe of �Saut� of Fresh Vegetables� (Saut� de Legumes Fermiere) for a complete, very delicious dinner.

Serve Beringer�s Merlot (red) Wine with this dinner.

SAUT� DE LEGUMES FERMIERE
(Saut� of Fresh Vegetables)
(serves 4 generously)

1/3 lb. Carrots, sliced into �matchstick� size pieces
1/3 lb. White turnips sliced into �matchstick� size pieces
1/3 lb. Mushrooms, sliced medium
3 T. Butter
4 T. Shallots, minced fine
� Cup Beringer�s White Merlot or any good white wine
Salt & pepper to taste.

1. Cut the carrots and turnips into �match stick� sized pieces.
2. Heat the butter in the skillet & melt, add the carrots, salt & pepper.
3. Add the wine & cook over med. heat, stirring & tossing for 2 minutes.
4. Add the turnips and cook until the carrots & turnips are almost �au dante� (tender crisp)� about 3 minutes.
5. Add the shallots and mushrooms, cook, tossing & stirring constantly. Cook until carrots and turnips are �au dante� (about 2-4 minutes).
6. Serve with London Broil and Hunter�s Sauce.

You'll love this dinner... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My family thinks so. We slice them about 3/4" thick or so. Our favorite way is to marinate them in McCormicks Mesquite flavor marinade for about 6 hours (they recommend 2 hrs ) then grill. But they fit our budget and taste simply sliced, spiced and grilled, too.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yummm

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite use of Eye of Round roast is slow cooked as Sauerbraten. None better. We liked it so much we quit buying chuck or rump roasts for Sunday dinner and use the EoR instead. About 4 hours @ 275 seems to do the trick!

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
"Primal"eans it's just a teased-out muscle?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Run the eye of round steaks through the cuber twice, or pound them with a tenderizing hammer. Season with Adolph's and coarse black pepper and let stand for a couple hours. Sear quickly over HOT coals. It's not as good-flavored as a marbled ribeye (Del Monico), but it's good. Don't be shy with the pepper.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,214
Posts18,466,291
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.