Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I received my Havalon Piranta in the mail today, along with 100 extra blades. Just in time for backpack hunting Blacktails in California.

Pros:--Blades are sharp and replaceable
--Knife is lightweight and fits my hand reasonably well
--The knife looks like it will still skin and cut up any big game animal as long as you know what you are doing and keep some replacement blades handy. My Victorinox Rucksack will also do this so it has more to do with experience than the actual knife. This Havalon will be more handy for caping and light fleshing than my Victorinox and it should serve better than the razor blades that I usually bring for splitting the lips etc.

Cons:--The blade that the knife came with had a some burrs on the edge. I replaced the blade.
--Some people may have issues with replacing the blade in the field. The instruction manual requires the use of forceps or needle nose pliers! I did manage to change the blade with a leatherman mini-tool, but not without snaping the first blade in two with my fingers. Blades are reasonably fragile and can snap with sideways pressure fairly easy.
--Price is higher than it should be. This knife could be replicated and mass-produced offshore for about $5 each.
--You cannot run your index finger on the top portion of the blade as it's too thin; thus, you have a little less control and leverage of the blade for more delicate work like caping.

Other observations:
--The carrying case is Made in Taiwan. It is very cheaply made and designed. It is too loose for the knife so there is a risk that the knife would fall out if you carried it on your belt. Moreover, while the case does hold 12 blades, the pouch is tight and the foil wrapper on the extra blades would wear quickly exposing a few blades to the elements. I'd keep only 6 blades in the pouch.
--Check prices! The Havalon website listed them at $35 but I bought mine from KnifeCenter.com for only $27.95. If you Google for a promo coupon, you also can receive a free set of shears and a small pocket knife free with your order.
--The 100 pack of replacement blades comes marked "Autopsy Blades"- had to explain to my wife what I was going to actually use them for wink

Overall: 3 out of 5 Stars
I'd carry it in my pack to avoid losing it. I'd bring my mini-tool to make it easier to replace blades in the field. It looks great for minimalist backpack hunting for medium sized big game.

You can still do it all with a Victorinox Rucksack folding knife- I've used just that knife alone to skin, cape and debone whole Caribou and Black Bear in the field without any difficulty. This Havalon just provides that extra where you might find a razor blade more efficient.

Where you can take an additional 9oz of weight and/or for larger game like Moose, I'd probably default to my Wenger Swibo Boning and Skinning knives and use the Havalon for caping/light fleshing only: Boning Knife:[Linked Image]
Skinning Knife:
[Linked Image]

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have one of the Piranta knives that I got for Christmas last year, looks to be a great knife. I can easily change the blades with me fingers and no tools, just have to be careful.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Would the Havalon work well as a coyote skinner?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great skinnng knife.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AB2506
Would the Havalon work well as a coyote skinner?

Yes, it will work very well on Coyote too. If you are doing a full case skin, including paws, take note to not bend the blades too much when skinning out the claws at the last joint. The blades will break if flexed too much.

IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Blades come off easy enough if you find some sort of prying tool to move the blade along the groove. Same with installing another - push against your boot sole or something. Don't rely on finger strength! They open up a sheep like a zipper, and are great for fine caping work.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Like Vek,I use mine mostly for initial cuts and caping work.I really like them for toes on brown bear.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 71 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.