Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I have found a Mossberg 800b that interest me but I don't know much about the rifle. Is it a good action? Can I buy a synthetic stock for it? How is the trigger? ETC?

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is a multi lug bolt rifle with a mix of some strange lug sizes and shapes. The trigger group is housed in plastic and the TG is an integral part of it. McMillan may make a stock for it, I don't know. As you know the bolt handle is unlike other bolt handles in that the shaft is almost like sheet metal and it sweeps forward a bit.
Probably a decent rifle with limited modification potential. Mossberg didn't keep the 800 in the line long replacing it with the 810.

Last edited by nsaqam; 08/18/10. Reason: lug not jug!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
had a 800b in 308win way back when they first came out. bought it new for like 249.00. it shot very well for a few years ,but all at once accuratcy was gone. soon sold it.back in the spring i bought a westernfield 782b turns out its the same gun only this one was a 243win . it was in excellent shape ,i bought it for 175.00 with a 2x7 westernfield scope and sling. i shot it a few times and could get it to group under 2in at 100yds ,so i sold it to. it looked almost new and i had a guy offer me 450.00 for it at a gunshow ,so i let him have it. here a pic of it. [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lusted after one of those when I was young!

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mossberg made the 800 in a variety of configurations; standard, deluxe, mannlicher stock carbine, heavy barrel varmint, and a package gun with a scope. They also made them as "house-brand" guns for a variety of retailers like Coast-To-Coast Hardware, Montgomery Ward, and Western Auto to name a few.

The standard grade 800s were economy/entry-level rifles that were targeting the same market niche as the Remington 788, the lower grade Savage 110 series rifles, and the Winchester 670. They were never very popular in the part of New England where I was raised and they don't seem to have been very popular anywhere that I've lives since. I've owned several of them in the standard, mannlicher, and varmint formats. To my way of thinking, they are truck/farm/loaner type rifles and in 2010, I'd be much more likely to spend my $$ on a new Marlin XL/XS-7 then a used Mossberg 800, unless it was a mannlicher stocked version, since I am a sucker for mannlicher stocked rifles if the price is right.

There is 1 safety concern that I have with the Mossberg 800/810 series and that is the plastic trigger housing. I had a Mossberg 800 in 22-250 that lived in the window rack as my primary coyote rifle for a couple of years. It stayed in the trucks pretty much 24/7/365 and sometime during the hot summer, the rifle got so hot that the trigger housing became distorted (melted), making the rifle unsafe. This is a sample of 1, but I have heard/read that other folks have had the same problem. My rifle fired without having the trigger pulled when I closed the bolt on a live round. When I rotated the bolt to lock it into battery, the firing pin dropped and fired the the cartridge. It was certainly unexpected, an a$$-puckering "aw [bleep]" moment.

I don't know of anyone who makes an after-market synthetic stock for the Mossberg 800 series and doubt that anyone but Richards Micro-Fit offers an after-market stock, since the total production volume of the whole Mossberg 800/810 series can't be very large.

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, the 810 is just a long action 800.

Mossberg's next significant attempt at a CF rifle was to sell Mossberg branded Howa 1500s, but that didn't last too long either.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Actually, the 810 is just a long action 800.

Jeff

There are several somewhat significant differences between the 800 and the 810 besides the action length.
The lug arrangement was cleaned up a bit and the bolt handle was changed to a more conventional rearward sweep. Among other things.

Substantially the same though.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks for the replies. I found one that had been rebarreled in 35 rem which is a caliber I have always wanted in a bolt action.
I think I will pass build one later.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There were at least 2 different bolt handle styles on the 800 series, a swept-forward version with a ball/knob on the end and a flat, butter-knife, style.

I've never owned an 810, but I do know that the 810 was only a long action and that it didn't replace the 800 series.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah,260rem you are right about the different bolt handles. i've not owned a 810 either. the one i sold in 243 pictured above was a great looking gun. the mannlicker stocked ones are bringing very good money ,but were very limited production.when i bought the 243 i had i saw one of them on guns america priced at 800.00

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got this one in .243. Neat little gun that shoots well.

[Linked Image]

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just took delivery on this .243 800B from off GB. It looks like it has not been fired. I am really impressed with the wood and fit and finish. Haven't shot it yet. I'll try to post some better photos later on. These photos are from the auction.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice rifle. Since I was a young buck, I always thought they were very good looking rifles. I sure would like to have one of those M's. RJ

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If your rifle's deluxe stock is original to your barreled action, I think that the barrel SHOULD be marked 800BD or 800BDL.

The 3 most common cartridges chambered in the Mossberg 800 were the 308, designated as "A", 243, designated as "B", and 22-250, designated as "C".

800A/B/C = on the standard grade rifles, the roll stamps just ID'd the cartridge chambered.

800AM/BM/CM = on the mannlicher stocked rifles, the rolls stamps ID'd the both the cartridge chambered and the mannlicher stock. The 800s with mannlicher stocks came with 20" barrels, while the other sporters had 22" barrels and the varmint style had 24" barrels.

800ASM/BSM/CSM = on the scope mounted rifles, the roll stamps ID'd both the cartridge chambered and "SM" for "scope mounted" or "scope model".

800BV/CV = on the varmint rifles, the roll stamps ID'd the cartridge chambered and "V" for varmint contour/weight barrel configuration.

The deluxe style like you've bought is a very rare configuration and since I've never owned 1, I can't tell you what the correct roll stamp on the barrel would be, but I think that, like the other higher grade 800s, it should have a letter stamp that identified it as being a deluxe configuration.

If you're interest in finding out more about your Mossberg 800 Deluxe, You might check with Vic Havlin for additional interesting information on it. IIRC, Vic and Cheryl Havlin are co-founders of the Mossberg Collectors Association. www.havlinsales.com

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Jeff. I'll get it out of the safe and take a look at the roll marks.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is an 800BD. Guess that's why the wood is so nice. It really is a handsome piece. It is certainly one of my best purchases and a definite keeper. Something about older rifles that gets the blood circulating, if you know what I mean. There's not a mark on it and it looks like it has never been shot. I'll have to do something about that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.