Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I'd be for thinking that Marquart would be one of them but that is just a SWAG.

Paul was one of the best, all right, but he didn't make any barrels smaller than 7mm. No one surpassed his 7mm to .45 barrels, and few were his equal.

His equal for smaller calibers at that time was another Prescott barrel-maker, Rich Carns.

Both Paul and Rich made a number of barrels for me.

One superior feature of their barrels was their complete stress-relief. Paul stress-relieved Rich's barrels.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love reading this historical stuff. I remember nearly all of these names being mentioned by Jack O'Oconnor in his many articles written in the '50s. He also mentioned in many articles his suggestions for tuning the M70 Winchesters so they would be accurate. The quality of the bullets now available are what seem to show how good those rifles really were.

Jim

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Flaigs used two barrels as I recall, Douglass (WV, USA) and Boller (European). One was marked Flaig's Ace and the other was marked Flaig's; I don't want to say which was which as I can't remember and don't want to put out any bad poop.

Originally Posted by bucktales
Did Flaig make their own barrels?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a rifle built by Bill Sukalle in .300 Winchester, I remember Bill and his shop before his time was taken up when he was doing contract work for NASA which took up all of his time. He was truly a master barrel maker and really did some fine work on Mausers. His picture can be found in ROY DUNLAP's book GUNSMITHING. I also remember ROY DULAP from his day's with the Palma team and writing for the NRA he was a great gunsmith and rifle builder, along with a high power shooter.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Every time I hear the name Flaigs I remember stopping at the store whenever on the way to meet my girl friend at the time in Pittsburgh. What a candy store for gun nutz it was. I don't think I ever saw a place to compare.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sinebar, welcome to the 'fire. It's a wonderful thing to not only own a piece of history, but to have the knowledge and ability to use it.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I bought a Sukalle sporter here on the Campfire Classifieds 2-3 months ago. My bore-scope shows one of the smoothest bores I've seen. It's as nice or nicer than the top barrels made from today, including Krieger and Lilja.

The rifle is made on a military 98 action, and the barrel is stamped ".257 Rem."--meaning .257 Roberts. The date code indicates it was made in 1948.

I've been too darn busy testing other rifles to shoot it yet, but am going to try to this coming week. It has a K4 Weaver in a Griffin & Howe mount and the results should be interesting!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
bucktales--I have a Flaigs sporter built on an FN 98 action, with a round to octagon full ribbed barrel. The bottom of the barrel is marked "Flaig's, Austria 9-19-52". It is chambered in .300 Holland and Holland.

"Mama tried..."
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If your European barrel is marked Flaig's, I think it is safe to say the Flaig's Ace is the Douglass.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A.O. Niedner of Dowagiac, MI was a famous barrel maker of a slightly earlier period, the 30s and 40s, as was John Dubiel. Another maker not previously mentioned is Hart. And I seem to recall that Melvin Johnson may have supplied barrels during the 50s.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Anyone remember Star "diamond lapped barrels? Not a premium barrel by any stretch (about eight bucks apiece for blanks in the late sixties to early seventies)They were a remarkably consistent barrel. Douglas was always a popular barrel; Hart was a real premium barrel.
Bauska barrels worked better than they looked. Buhmiller barrels were very good.
We used to be able to buy barrel blanks from Sako and they were good barrels. Same with Schulz& Larsen. GD

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The gentleman that got me hooked on guns, hunting and shooting, had Bliss Titus barrels on many of his custom built rifles. This fellow was left handed. He had Remington 721 and 722 actions converted to left hand actions. He then had Bliss install barrels. I met this man in about 1959. I watched him shoot a Bliss barreled 220 Swift and put three shots into an area smaller than a dime at 100 yards and that it for me. I've been pulling triggers ever since. By the way, I was nine years old and he told me "that group is not so hot, you should see what the pros do". My friend also had what he called a "Baby .270". It was a .30 caliber model 99 necked down, shortened and barreled to .277. Could it have started life as a .300 Savage?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gregory, originally that 99 could have been in 303 Savage, 30-30, 300 Savage, or 308 depending on model and year. After rebarreling, might have been a "270 Savage" if he wanted it to work with minimal change to the rotors/etc. That's basically a 300 Savage cartridge necked down to .277. With a good gunsmith, could have been made into other 270 cartridges also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
Sam May, who owned Apex barrels, also built many great barrels.

Met an old gentleman at the range this past weekend who had a 1936 Oberndorf Mauser action with an "Apex Match Grade" barrel in .243 Winchester. Had what looked like a very old Weaver scope with no internal adjustments, the external adjustments were in the rear mount.

Pretty neat rig.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I used most of the barrels mentioned way back then..The ONLY barrel I liked back then was Douglas, they had the modern equipment of the day, that none of the others had IMO...

Only Douglas has survived those days and its still a darn nice barrel, in fact still my second choice for hunting rifles but its a distant choice from Lothar Walthar that I use today almost exclusively...

Back then a 2 inch 3 shot group rifle was the exception, not the rule. Today its pretty easy to produce a 3 shot one inch gun, and a 5 shot one inch gun is relitively common.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
Anyone remember Star "diamond lapped barrels? Not a premium barrel by any stretch (about eight bucks apiece for blanks in the late sixties to early seventies)They were a remarkably consistent barrel......

Sure do! Had a 358 Norma barrelled up with one on a 98 Mauser. Shot just fine.

Ted

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gregory; The 270 Titus was a necked down 300 Savage and was originated by Bliss Titus as far as I know.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Shilen started business in 1955.
Butch

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by bucktales
Did Flaig make their own barrels?

I don't think so. I've kinda studied up on the Flaig rifles and barrels and from what I've read he used barrels marked Bohler and later on used Douglas barrels.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hmmmm, as I recall Sukalle was/is Butch Searcys father in law or something like that, guess it runs in the family. At least one of the famous old timers was his father in law or some kin. smile smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.