grin

BP-B6

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by battue
heavywalker

You may have already tried this, but have you really cleaned your Nula. The only thing I don't like about mine is that it likes to be fairly clean. After about 50-60rounds it starts to open up. Clean it good give it 3 or 4 to foul the barrel and things are good again. Mr. Forbes told me to clean it after each time I shoot it after a range session. I didn't believe it was necessary. I've since found out with this rifle anyway it is.

Yes it has been cleaned a couple of times during load development, and it actually starts shooting better after it has been shot about 20 times.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I have both. A 86 vintage ULA in 257 AI and a Montana in 7-08 of uncertain vintage.

I bought the Montana because its stainless steel, light weight, good stock, light weight. I ended up buying used after waiting for Kimber to make 7-08s for about 10 months. This was in 2008. To say that they were unresponsive to my questions about production is an understatement, despite my $1k deposit. However, the rifle I ended up with is as advertised: light, accurate, good stock fit(for me). My only real complaint other than poor customer service is that the stainless does stain quite easily. After one day of wet rainy weather rust started to frost on the surface. My stainless ruger 77/22 can take the rain with no problem. Perhaps this is just my Montana or they use a stainless with less corrosion resistant properties.

I ended up buying the ULA model 20 from an auction primarily because I felt I could do better than the Montana. I got a great deal on it and encourage you to shop around. There are some great deals both here and at the other internet gun sites. The gun was practically brand new and shoots very accurately as long as I do my part. I am still working up loads for it. The differences were discussed better by JB and BobinNH than I can, but I will say that I would definitely buy another ULA or even a NULA, rather than another kimber.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks John,

I figured I knew the answer, since the "ugliest stock" winner seems to still be in use...

Reckon once my boys grow up and start stealing my rifles, I will buy a NULA in 7x57, or 280, or .30-06 and consider myself to be well-off...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The new 84L Montana will no doubt be a lightweight cracker, but, Melvin has poured sweat n tears over his NULA.........

I will buy an 84L Montana, just to compare & play wink

Good luck with it all

Taking my rifle for a walk
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have owned a Kimber 8400 WSM and currently own a NULA model 24 so I can give a comparison based on experiece. The Kimber is a nice rifle, I enjoyed the one that owned, but like other posters have stated is not even close in quality to the NULA. The 2 biggest difference to me are in the rifles Balance and accuacy. the NULA feels so good in the hands that I tend to keep it uslung more than any rifle I've previously owned. It is also the easiest rifle to load for that I have every owned, almost any load Ive tried shoots acceptably, and the loads the rifle likes shoot amazingly. The Kimber that I had grouped well enough but took quite a bit of load development to make it happy. Its a factory rifle vs. a custom rifle, you have to decide if the advantages of a custom rifle are worth the cost. For me the NULA is easily worth the price difference

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Mel Forbes is where Kimber went to learn how to make stocks.

Didn't Melvin call BS on this?

When I spoke to him on the phone, Mel called INCREDIBLE BS on having any involvement with the Kimber stock design.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a Kimber 308 and a NULA barreled action in a non-NULA stock. My Kimber is plenty accurate and shoots a lot of loads sub-MOA, but the NULA is easier to load for - I've not found any bullet that won't -easily- go under 1" - but some get lucky with their Kimber barrels and get similar results.

I like the bolt handle clearance and safety on the Kimber better (less clearance with the NULA). As far as ultralight, the Kimber barreled action is actually slightly lighter than the NULA (mine is anyway). I aslo prefer the total stainless of the Kimber.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned Kimber & NULA. The NULAs were more accurate, balanced better, functioned better and had better triggers. When I had any issues Mel was helpful while Kimber was not.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dan360
Originally Posted by mathman
Mel Forbes is where Kimber went to learn how to make stocks.

Didn't Melvin call BS on this?

When I spoke to him on the phone, Mel called INCREDIBLE BS on having any involvement with the Kimber stock design.

Maybe Noslers stock?

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Mel Forbes reputation speaks for itself,and Kimber is.....well......Kimber.

Worth $3k? To me it would be, because you can blow through $3k just trying to get one Kimber that performs the way you want.I know; I've tried.Likely, you will buy a NULA once and it will perform right away..

I would propose that perhaps the difference between the Kimber Montana and the Sako Carbonlite might also apply

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Nice old post with good info and opinions no bickering or name calling!!!! What the fire used to be smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 76 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.