Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone using this bag?

Montbell U.L. Super Spiral Down Hugger #1

if not, what do you use for your backpacking hunts?

http://www.prolitegear.com/montbell-super-spiral-down-hugger-1.html

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Its #1 on my wish list. I should have one in a few weeks. For the money it looks like one of the best out there, IMO. I've talked to several people that have the bag, and they all say its a fantastic bag.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
David,

I have the older version of the #1. Mine isn't the super sprial, just the super stretch. I love the bag.

I also have the Super Sprial Down Hugger #3- the 30 degree bag and I like it a lot. I think I prefer the older series because they have a bit more room but the new Super Sprial are even lighter and very comfy.

I don't currently own anything but Mont-Bell bags at this time.

Ed T

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a Feathered Friends Winter Wren with 2 oz overstuff, should be good to 15 F. I just traded for a Golite Adrenaline O degree but haven't used it yet. I like center zip bags cause I tend to roll onto my side.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone using these bags?

Here's some feedback I got on Snipershide:

I prefer Western Mountaineering. Their light weight series bags have no equal for the weight to warmth ratio and pure performance. In fact, all WM bags have no equal. There are very few companies I have not used and can honestly say for down, WM is the only choice.

The bags I recommend in your category:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=20

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=19

My favorite bag is the Renaissance from Integral Designs. I had Evan the owner of ID stitch me up a custom bag stitched on the Renaissance pattern. Mine weighs right at 2lb 4oz and I have used it at 4F per the Kestrel. My best bud and I put up a first ascent in the Chugach Range in Alaska, known for its horrendous weather, we had to actually survive a night in a Gach storm after we got soaking wet descending down from the climb in very Gach weather.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=721&CFID=2141340&CFTOKEN=83054669

Its been 7 years or so since I had my body inside a Monte' Bell. The Monte' Bell system develops holes / cold spots in the down with their stretch system as the shell gets stretched during use. Stretching the shell by hand and then running your hand along the inside shell can feel areas of no/thin down. I had to return several of these series bags due to customer complaints of being cold so I dropped the line.

John Stark.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use a #3, and got a #1 for my dad to use last fall. We're both very happy with them.

Of the hundreds I've been involved in selling over the last year, I've seen one return, the bag was underfilled and Montbell replaced it quickly and painlessly. For what it's worth, none of the current 800 fp down models were in production 2 years ago, much less 7.

As a side note, Prolite should be getting some Mountain Equipment (the UK company) bags in the near future. I've played with them, and am quite impressed. Depending upon where the prices come in, they could be a very attractive option.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What do you think about the MontBell Super Spiral Hugger #1 Down Sleeping Bag: 15 Degree as an all around bag?

Also, how much does a bivy like the Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec Bivy Bag af for warmth?

John Stark.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Also, how much does a bivy like the Montbell Breeze Dry-Tec Bivy Bag af for warmth?

David,
I personally expect my bivy sacks to comfortably take me @ 10-15 degrees lower than without. There are a lot of variables there (how much extra room in the bivy, waterproof/breathable vs. water resistant, personal metabolism, etc.) and I rarely if ever bring one just for warmth; you are wise to think about it though.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Those Vesralites look sweet, but they are not cheap!

Where's the best place to buy one?

John Stark.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought the UL Spiral (not super) #1 last year. I have not used it much yet. Temp's were in the mid-upper 30's and I was too hot - had to keep it partially unzipped. It is very light and seems durable enough. If I had it to do over again, I would buy the same bag.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For at least a few years, probably several, I've been using the Montbell #5 Super stretch on DIY Alaska hunts. It's been good above freezing. I like the packed size and weight. Actual measured weight is 1lb 3oz in its bag.

[Linked Image]

I think this is the only pic of it in use, 2009 spring POW black bear hunt.
[Linked Image]

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
btt

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ttt

John Stark.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been using the SS UL #2 ( Montbell #2 )
for my 3 season bag. It is the older stretch style. I have no complaints whatsoever with this bag. I enjoy the roominess while being comfortably draft free. Combined with their thermal wrap layer it would take me down into the single digits with no problem.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What's the difference between the "Hugger" versions and the regulars?

John Stark.
AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been using the SS UL DH #1 (not spiral) for the last couple years and I love it. The bag kicks ass, super light, stuff's small, true to temp, and my #1 reason, ROOMY. you can sit up almost full on indian-sytle inside your bag. Nice if you wan't to change clothes and not get cold, there's room to.....if you have problems in tight places, get this bag. I couple this with an exped downmat 9 dlx (not super duper ultra light- but worth the comfort to me) and stuff the padded exped stuff sack with spare clothes for a nice pillow and a killer nights sleep.

Im 6'1 215-225 bigger shoulders and I have a long. The stretch kicks ass. I wouldn't say the most rugged bag by any means, but everything else....dayum.

We were down to 6 degrees F last year in a kifaru 8 man with large stove.....my stove doesn't go for more than 3 hours max unattended.....and the bag kept me warm all night. I had a light base on and was fully zipped. If I breathed thru the eye hole outside the bag for fresh air, I started to get on the cold side. Breathing inside the bad kept me warm enough to sleep decent. (I like a cooler bed though, don't need it super warm, just enough to relax and suck me in)

my $.02 - I like 'em.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AHM
The stretch kicks ass.

That says it all for me. I have an older #0 650 down and a new #3. I'm 6'2 210 and the stretch keeps me from feeling like I am strapped into a straight jacket. I also prevents gaps; preventing cold spots. I think they are great.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My wife and I have 0 degree Super Stretches and love 'em. No claustrophobia and very warm. I've slept in it in temps down to 5 degrees with light base layer and was fine (with a Prolite 4 pad under it). I'd like to get a #3 or #4 for warmer temps and less bulk in the pack.

Also love the Mont Bell Thermawrap Parkas!

Brian

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had a Super Stretch #3 now for several years, absolutely love it. I have never been more comfortable... Oh, I have had it down to the upper 20's, but, had medium base layers and a balacalava on and was very comfortable.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.