-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Clearly it does not happen every time, but which one are you going to feel worst about IF it does?

Consequences are potentially huge and the reward is what?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
None....I hate them all equally! grin On a serious note though I have a better chance of contracting salmonella from eggs or by getting hit by a truck.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have no interest in disabusing you of your fantasy...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You obviously know nothing of my profession.... let it go Art....let it goooooooooooooooooo!

How is the fishing this year?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
You obviously know nothing of my profession.... let it go Art....let it goooooooooooooooooo!

Very lame posturing attempt at claiming/building respectability for an argument you cannot win. You clearly have no defense for your acts or you could argue them on their face.

1) Grinding bacteria INSIDE a product to be dried is stupid.

2) Cooking same to kill bacteria produces a garbage product, period.

3) Making good product by slicing is easy, skewing risk:reward ratio totally.

4) You are willing to risk it... I am not.

My argument has not changed and anyone thinking their ground product is good has either not cooked it as required to ensure the potentially lethal bacteria are dead, or has no clue what decent jerky is about. Your call.

I have no clue what your profession is, but thinking is clearly not in demand in it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is a reason that most restaurants will only serve burgers well done while serving steaks rare. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Very lame posturing attempt at claiming/building respectability for an argument you cannot win. You clearly have no defense for your acts or you could argue them on their face.

1) Grinding bacteria INSIDE a product to be dried is stupid.

2) Cooking same to kill bacteria produces a garbage product, period.

3) Making good product by slicing is easy, skewing risk:reward ratio totally.

4) You are willing to risk it... I am not.

My argument has not changed and anyone thinking their ground product is good has either not cooked it as required to ensure the potentially lethal bacteria are dead, or has no clue what decent jerky is about. Your call.

I have no clue what your profession is, but thinking is clearly not in demand in it.

We will just agree to disagree. Something I've noticed with you, you are very quick to hit the insult button. Really no need for that here is there?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How many times have you come back without a defense of any kind? You have added nothing beyond "I get away with it". "Drop it" and "Let it go" are not argument and do not support your side of same.

I have a very real, honest fear someone will take your posturing as having a clue. That clearly is not the case in this issue and could easily result in someone getting very sick. I have a real problem with anyone promoting something unsafe here.

Your condescending claim of "Right because I am somebody" is insulting.
art

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Art you better not walk across the street, ride in boat, fly on a plane, go swimming, breathe, drink the water, eat anything or any other common activity as it might get you! If your fear was so wide spread then nobody on earth would sell a jerky cannon or jerky shooter. Cabela's and all other stores would be sued out of existence. You are not my mother so quit acting like you are. You are not the all knowing expert of the campfire so quit trying to be. Your phobia is controlling you and is apparently out of control. Perhaps you should seek professional help for it.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Your condescending claim of "Right because I am somebody" is insulting.
art

Now that is funny right there. I never said I was anybody. Your words not mine. I said you have no idea what I do for a living.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have had to document close to 3,000 days at sea for the USCG in situations far more dangerous than walking across the street. I commercial longlined halibut in 24' seas once, on a 32' boat. Many here have been with me in heavy seas. It is about appropriate risk and balancing the potential consequences.

Rick Bin, Muley Stalker, and I stalked and killed a Kodiak brown bear at about 24 yards. Gr8ful Doug's buddy from TN was with me last month at closer than that to another Kodiak bear. Many here have been with me around bears. I know how bears act and I only take very reasonable risks. Hard to take good pictures of bears when they are too far away.

I am obviously afraid of my own shadow, no?

There is zero upside to making ground jerky, it is not a better product by any meter. E coli has killed many. It is more than possible your jerky has "inoculated" someone withot dire consequence. Next time???

Paraphrasing your "You obviously know nothing of my profession...." to "Right because I am somebody" is certainly not to be taken as me confusing you with somebody... Only that your condescending arrogance is not having the desired effect.

Anyone that has made jerky from ground meat and actually followed the USDA guidelines has had a miserable product. If your product is good the guidelines were not followed. It is a Catch-22 and you cannot get around it.

I certainly hope you do not poison your family and/or friends just because you are too proud to recognize you have been lucky.

Please show me something I have posted which was incorrect.
art

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quite the chest thumper you are. You sure are an arrogant one though I will give you that. I quite honestly don't care what you have done or who you have done it with. How about we just agree to disagree and let it go at that?

Last edited by elkhunter76; 08/30/10.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I do not understand why ground meat would be any different than thinly sliced meat. If it's the same meat (as I control the quality) then what difference does it make if meat is kept cold through the grinding?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand the source of the problem.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fantastic question and the very base of the whole issue. the bad bug E. coli spp. does not do well in an oxygen rich environment. They cannot penetrate meat unless they are mechanically moved. Fresh cut meat surfaces usually have plenty of oxygen to keep E. coli at bay and the brine will tend to inhibit it virtually completely.

Take that same meat and grind it so the bacteria is now spread throughout the meat and in damp little enclaves where it can prosper. To kill it requires temps of 200 degrees for one hour according to most food handling authorities. Jerky that actually gets to 200F for an hour is garbage. I have tried it several times under different types of controls to make sure I was not missing something. It is junk.

It is the same E. coli which has killed hundreds across the US and which makes headlines when a particular restaurant chain gets pinned down as the source.

I am not trying to be difficult or argumentative, either. I just understand the issue and see lots of folks making timebombs. Far worse is the fairly common practice of using plain old store hamburger for the jerky base! It is literally dirty stuff, bug-wise, and I would feel better with almost anyones game meat.
art

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hmm wonder why restaurants serve steak tartar?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You have a better chance of contracting e-coli from the bagged lettuce you buy in the grocery store Art.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh and I drank raw milk growing up (still do when I can get some) and also drank from the garden hose. Grandma used to make egg nog with a real RAW egg shocked and I ate raw hamburger sandwiches with my Dad and Grandpa!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quite the chest thumper you are. You sure are an arrogant one though I will give you that. I quite honestly don't care what you have done or who you have done it with. How about we just agree to disagree and let it go at that?

Well asshat, let me make something very clear... Likely impossible as you are so freaking dense... You accuse me of being afraid to cross the street and I use situations invloving posters from here to show I am hardly the chicken you attempt to portray. And in so doing I do not mention shooting two different bears that died touching me. There were others attempting to get close, too. And in so doing you think you have the nerve to call me arrogant?

You are a dipshit of the highest order... I have gotten phonecalls, emails, and PMs today from people laughing AT you. If you do not see simple sense at least shut the [bleep] up and quit trying to poison folks.
art

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Art that comment went your over your head. I could care less who called you, pm'd you or patted you on you on your widdle head (now that is an example of a condescending remark). I will type slowly so you can comprehend ( another condescending remark).....my point was all of those things can get you killed, most likely not, but in any event can. Your ego is so large and arrogance so thick you cannot see past the nose on your face.

Ok, we'll settle this, show me one authentic documented case of e-coli making someone sick, let alone killing someone, from eating ground meat jerky and I will humbly concede.

By the way, how come you are so quick with the name calling? And as far as poeple laughing at me, who cares? My skin isn't paper thin. I feel no need to list my accomplishments here as I have nothing to prove to anyone. They simply do not matter.

Another thing...you are the only person I have ever met on line or physically that has this innate fear...

Last edited by elkhunter76; 08/31/10.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sure taking you a long time to find that case Art.......I will say you should probably avoid Jack in the Box in California though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TFF

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

625 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 77 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,311
Posts18,449,194
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.