Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ray,

That's the only Mexican action I've ever seen that wouldn't feed 7x57's. I bought an entire military rifle to get the action, and it didn't appear to have been fooled with.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
378 Canuck,

Re feeding empty cases, here's what John Barsness posted a couple weeks ago in another thread about D'Arcy Echols' custom rifles:

"...D'Arcy's customers often change their mind about what bullet they want to use. Plus the vast majority are globe-trotting hunters who may end up using whatever ammo is locally available, because their ammo with the "right" bullet didn't show up.

So D'Arcy makes damn sure the rifle will feed anything, and has found that feeding empty cases is the best test. His rifles have a reputation of being absolutely foolproof, which is why his waiting list is very long--for rifles that cost $14,000."

So, yeah, nobody feeds empty cases to a hungry rifle, but it does indicate something useful. It's nice when a 60 year-old stock rifle does that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
378Canuck,

Are they dents, or actual gouges where wood was removed? Even pretty deep dents can be fixed (or at least made a lot better) by steaming the wood.
[Linked Image]
This is the rifle. Not a very good photo but steam, you say. What is the recommended procedure MD?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by atkinsonhunting
......It talks! smile

They do more than just talk, don't they Ray.
....they sing, dance and play all of the band instruments as well!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But the fact is that a nice walnut stock that gets scratched still looks better than any brand-new synthetic stock ever made.

Pearls of wisdom right there!....note to self Mike write that down somewhere for later use...

As a Mauser lover I never try to discourage someone from building one! You will spend more, but you'll get more IMHO!

I only wish I had more money to build more Mauser's and clones!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
My question is this, to those who have shot these weapons, how accurate were they when they were stock??

The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Then there is the breaching system which encloses more of the case hed within the barrel than even the vaunted and innovative Rem 700......

Are you sure that is true?

I would like to hear specifics in defense of that statement.

Case Head Protrusions after Otteson
Action______________Protrusion (inches)
M98_______________0.105�
03 Springfld_______ __0.147 to 0.148
700 Rem____________0.160 plus any chamber mouth radius
Sako 461 (Vixen) _____0.107 annular ring around breech face of bbl for extr nose clearence
Win mod 70 (post 64)__0.125
Weatherby Mk V_______0.13�
Savage 110__________Pre �66 (rem type extr) 0.144�--- Post 66 win mod 70 type extr 0.128�
Ruger 77_____________0.132� (push feed � controlled feed may be less � I really don�t know)
Carl Gustav
(Dovetail shaped lugs)___0.120
Browning BBR_________0.160 (0.13 counterbore, +0.015 clearence + chamfer)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/sako-extractor-rem-700-bolt-194240/

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bcp: Thanks! smile

I knew it was true but was too lazy to look it up grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To each his own and if one feels that some mauser action is the best then fine with me.

Looking at such a project and considering where it will end up with a semi-light rifle in a plastic stock with some sort of 'blue' on the metal it is just not special to me.

Its half way on the barrel weight, action weight, finish, weather resistance, lock time and how it will look to me.

If one must 'build' on such a mauser consider it in a fine grained walnut stock with superb metal finishing as well.

There are lightweight CRF rifles out there that you can get right now that are true lightweights with SS metal.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jim62
It's a free country, and obviuosly you can do what you wish ..

And bear in mind, I am half kidding around here-

but-

I am sure there is a special corner of hell reserved for folks that take classic VERY hard to find actions like g33/40s and stock them up in fiberglass(and probalby finish the metal in polymer or paint). Espeically with a Monte Carlo stock with a palm swell.

It is like making a candy apple red street rod out of a Rolls Royce. Or converting Supermarine Spitfire made into aerobatics plane..

A much better action for a modern Mauser build would truly be a Commercial Husqvarna Mauser. It's just as light and due to the Alumunium bottom metal and other features, they end themselves to a modern build.

I don't know what you paid for that G33/40 action, but by the time you factor in the all action work on the G33/40, what you could sell it for as is, you will probably wind up with a Husgvarna action for about $200 ready to barrel up and stock.

Plus, the Husky built lightweight Mauser will be just as valuable in the end, because you will negate the value of the G33/40 to 99% of the folks that even know what that action is, by putting it in a glass stock with a modern finish.

If you must build a modern sythntheic stocked lightweight from that action, carry on- I wish you well. It just pains me to see an action so idealy suited for a high end, classic wood stocked rifle used in a project like that when there are equally good alternative actions..

Jim is spot on. You're not going to save weight going to the barrel you describe, and the G33/40 is renowned for it's light weight and ability to be worked up into a classic sporter - Featherweight taper barrel of about 22", juglans regia walnut stock done up in classic style. There are actions that will be on average better than the Mauser for pure accuracy potential. The discussion of blueprinting conjurs up a Remington 700. The niche for the small ring Mausers is not so much accuracy (expect 1 MOA or so), but weight and style. And I'd sure reconsider the heat treating (have it Rockwell tested if you must); most of these are just fine.

Save your clams or sell your Harley and put this action into the hands of Roger Biesen or his ilk and tell him to have at it. You will walk in the shadow of the Lord...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless you can do it yourself, it is a mistake to think that you can take an older Mauser action, either commercial or military, and convert it to a sporter and save money.

By the time you pay for drilling and tapping, bolt bending, hand lapping the bolt race, heat treating, if necessary, a barrel, and having it blued, you will have as much or more in it that you would an off the shelf M70 or M700.

However, if you have deep pockets and want a custom rifle, you can pay a first rate rifle builder and stock maker to build for you possibly one of the nicest rifles in the world, out of a 98 action.

The only reason, and the best reason, in my opinion, to convert one of the older 98s is to make a very fine custom rifle, and again, my opinion, you would have a much nicer and more valuable rifle than anything you could buy off the shelf.

Also, if this is what you want, and you can afford it, what difference does it make what it costs?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Not ragging on you......but just how old are you???

None of the "modern" actions can compare to a good example of the '98 Mauser. Paul Mauser perfected the bolt action rifle in 1898.......everything else has been a step backwards, except maybe in cost of manufacturing.

Truth told. This has the makings of a signature line.

funny that I see most people building mausers with the features that winchesters already have. why reheat treat a mauser, drill and tap it, bend the bolt handle, find suitable bottom metal, add a 3 POS safety, when a winchster has all this done, has CRF and all good features of the mauser without modification. the action will not be a sloppy rode hard military action. different strokes for different folks I guess.

Why? Because it's a Mauser.....

Moe

"Pick out two!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Not ragging on you......but just how old are you???

None of the "modern" actions can compare to a good example of the '98 Mauser. Paul Mauser perfected the bolt action rifle in 1898.......everything else has been a step backwards, except maybe in cost of manufacturing.

Truth told. This has the makings of a signature line.

funny that I see most people building mausers with the features that winchesters already have. why reheat treat a mauser, drill and tap it, bend the bolt handle, find suitable bottom metal, add a 3 POS safety, when a winchster has all this done, has CRF and all good features of the mauser without modification. the action will not be a sloppy rode hard military action. different strokes for different folks I guess.

This is a great thread and I've learned quote a bit from it. therefore, I have decided to dig it back up! Sorry 'bout that, but it would probably be a good read for many anyway.

I am starting a G33/40 custom build. Yes, it would be a lot easier to buy a custom wood stock, or a McmIllan stock, or even a pre-inletted stock to finish, but I am going to shape and inlet my own stock. For that matter, yes it would be easier to just buy a Winchester 70, Remington 700 etc. I have a 1,000 yard rifle with all the good stuff and it can regular shoot 0.25 MOA groups out to 300 yards and under 0.5 MOA groups out to 600.

But people who question why someone would go to so much trouble to build a classic custom sporting rifle instead of buying a Remchester deluxe are silly. It is like asking someone why they built a 57 Chevy instead of buying a new 2012 Mitsubishi Evo. The new car goes faster, uses less fuel and handles 10 times better. Why would anyone want to drive around in a cherry red 57 Chevy or a 69 Mustang Fastback? They're just heavy gas guzzlers that will cost way more than a fast new Japanese commuter/sports car, right?

Last edited by 250_3000; 07/30/12.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”
-Benjamin Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

I sure like my 57 Chevy... wink

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 07/30/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're gonna stock a G 33/40, you could do worse than following this guy's lead:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/1661078671

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Curious where I can find some good reading on identifying the different Mausers. It seems a sea of info with no starting point. How do you identify the 33 or what would you consider a good alternative. Thinking 270... I know. It's gay. But I live in Vermont so I get a free pass....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Go to this link and scroll down to Forrest Bruch's post on different 98 Mausers.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/861105007

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Turkish walnut better than African walnut, but that is pretty slick. What stock pattern did you use?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the other hand, I'm always rather mystified by the folks who won't hunt with nice walnut-stocked rifles because they might get scratched. They use synthetic stocks because they aren't afraid to scratch them.

On one level this makes sense, because a synthetic stock that gets scratched can always be fixed (if you're the sort of person who wants to fix 'em) with a can of Krylon. But the fact is that a nice walnut stock that gets scratched still looks better than any brand-new synthetic stock ever made.

I have noticed this phenomenon myself. I know guys that won't hunt with a pretty rifle because it might get scratched and instead lug around rifles that are ugly to start with.

That is like refusing to marry a pretty woman because she might get wrinkles and instead choosing a girl that is ugly to start with. grin

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Chetaf
I like Turkish walnut better than African walnut, but that is pretty slick. What stock pattern did you use?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Chet

Wow. Nice. I just re-read Jim Carmichael's section on rifle stocks out of his Book of the Rifle. He pretty much heralds French Walnut as the best.He then explains how English, American Black, Turkish and others all have their finer points but also some detrimental traits. But after looking at yours, assuming it is Turkish, I might have re-think my strategy!

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”
-Benjamin Franklin
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

391 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,796
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.