Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by LongRanger
TCW3 Ashless oil, Academy has the Citgo at good prices.

Yes they do. Saw it in there for $9 and some change per gallon. Good price to stock up.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by LongRanger
TCW3 Ashless oil, Academy has the Citgo at good prices.

Yes they do. Saw it in there for $9 and some change per gallon. Good price to stock up.

Thanks for the heads up but Citgo is owned by the Venezuelan govt, i.e. Hugo Chavez, so I won't be buying any of that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Been using the Stanadyne performance formula in my chevy.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm using Delphi now. Also have used Stanadyne. The performance diesel shop that works on my truck said to use something other than PowerService.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How does using additives affect the warrenty on all vehicle engines? I had a '96 250 ford diesel and the owners manual said in several places not to use additives.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Today isn't the same as '96. In the mid 90's diesels had different injectors and fuel delivery. They were smoky things that didn't make anywhere near the power of today. Back 15yrs ago there may not have even been decent additives available. I've read about people using all different kinds of crap for additive, including gasoline. In '96 diesel fuel wasn't ULS and I don't know if it was even low sulphur. Can't speak about Ford or Dodge, but certain additives are approved by GM.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ackman
Today isn't the same as '96. In the mid 90's diesels had different injectors and fuel delivery. They were smoky things that didn't make anywhere near the power of today. Back 15yrs ago there may not have even been decent additives available. I've read about people using all different kinds of crap for additive, including gasoline. In '96 diesel fuel wasn't ULS and I don't know if it was even low sulphur. Can't speak about Ford or Dodge, but certain additives are approved by GM.

According to the service guys where I bought my truck Stanadyne is one of them.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was the Chevy service dept. diesel guy who first told me about Stanadyne.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
The service shop I go to recommends the Standyne as the best.Unfortunately that is the only place that carries it locally and they charge straight MSRP, plus some I think.
I have a 1998 &1/2 Dodge, 100K onit, and I use Power Service most of the time, with some Marvel

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
for the most part all addatives to fuel or oil are snake oil period. Now if you live in the North like I do you have a case for using Mobile 1 synthetic oil in your truck. It gets down to -40 up here and we plug our trucks in. Mobile 1 or other synthetic is the only way to go

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by eaglesnester
for the most part all addatives to fuel or oil are snake oil period.

Mobil 1 or any multi-vis diesel-rated synthetic is a very good idea for very-cold climates

this link is probably one of the best (and most exhaustive) studies on lubricity for diesel fuel and will address some myths....
Jim

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

a re-post for those that didn't read the whole thread or haven't ever read this scientific study on additives to ULSD fuels.
I'm definitely not in agreement with the 'it's just snake oil' theories. Additives can make a BIG difference in injector life for the older diesel engines that weren't designed for ULSD. When the lubricity is decreased or removed (like sulfur), you have to do something to replace it, or guaranteed you'll pay big time in engine parts down the road.
I knew some pilots who ran JetA in their trucks or VW's with no additive (they had the 'snake oil' attitude), and their engines puked in less than a year. Wouldn't listen to us mechanics about the airplanes, and they wouldn't listen to us about their diesels. Such is life......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by levrluvr
for the most part all addatives to fuel or oil are snake oil period.

Mobil 1 or any multi-vis diesel-rated synthetic is a very good idea for very-cold climates

this link is probably one of the best (and most exhaustive) studies on lubricity for diesel fuel and will address some myths....
Jim

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

a re-post for those that didn't read the whole thread or haven't ever read this scientific study on additives to ULSD fuels.
I'm definitely not in agreement with the 'it's just snake oil' theories. Additives can make a BIG difference in injector life for the older diesel engines that weren't designed for ULSD. When the lubricity is decreased or removed (like sulfur), you have to do something to replace it, or guaranteed you'll pay big time in engine parts down the road.
I knew some pilots who ran JetA in their trucks or VW's with no additive (they had the 'snake oil' attitude), and their engines puked in less than a year. Wouldn't listen to us mechanics about the airplanes, and they wouldn't listen to us about their diesels. Such is life......

Yup,

I'll continue to use my snake oil, thanks. With almost 200k miles on my original injectors & pump, no fuel related issues, I like my odds......

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for the most part all addatives to fuel or oil are snake oil period. Now if you live in the North like I do you have a case for using Mobile 1 synthetic oil in your truck. It gets down to -40 up here and we plug our trucks in. Mobile 1 or other synthetic is the only way to go

Unfortunately ULSD is rat pizz, so it needs a little snake oil, or two stroke oil, or something.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
190,000 no additive on last diesel. 50,000 pulling 33' fifth wheel w/no additive. Neighbors diesel 212,000 no additive.

Just can't see a reason for additive unless it makes you feel better inside. I do change oil every 6-7000 miles.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slg888
190,000 no additive on last diesel. 50,000 pulling 33' fifth wheel w/no additive. Neighbors diesel 212,000 no additive.

Just can't see a reason for additive unless it makes you feel better inside. I do change oil every 6-7000 miles.

The company I work for is of the same opinion and we burn 1 million gallons of diesel fuel - per day.

Buy it from places all over the US too.

Me

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
AMALGAMATED Made for the one and only diesel CUMMINS

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,079
Posts18,463,865
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.