Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#4378346 09/02/10
n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone else been catching this series on NPR? I have been listening to NPR ourt of Bellingham the last few afternoons and really enjoying the program especially the iterviews with those who were actually there. Didn't know that they had to raise the US flag on all those South Vietnamese boats to be allowed into the Phillipines. Hope these links work.

Forgotten Ship: A Daring Rescue As Saigon Fell

At War's End, U.S. Ship Rescued South Vietnam's Navy

GB1

n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been following this. A very good story that very few have ever heard about, for sure.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Great story. I participated in other aspects of Frequent Wind, but never heard of this until now. There are many untold stories from that period. It's great to see some of them finally coming to light.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever notice how the services of the United States always come through with the goods. God love our service people.

I sat with tears unashamedly running down my cheeks as I watched the fall of Saigon and the Huey's being pushed off the deck of the carriers after bringing out their cargo's of refugees as we were pulling out.

And yes, even knowing what I do now I would do as I did then.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
listened to one night of it......the one thing you will never hear on NPR, though, is acceptance of the obvious corollary of that whole refugee fiasco.....that the winning of the war by the NVA was a disaster for South Vietnam and its people, delivered on a plate by the Congressional democrats.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes it was, they have a habit of such crap!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gainesville if full of unreconstructed liberal American hating hippies, old azzholes with pony tails and driving volvos covered with lefty stickers...........

I always give them the finger..........

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So do I every chance I get, thank God they are few and far between down here.

Old cat turd!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I heard the first day of it. What I learned again, is that our servicemen are the best and always have been.

I'm not sure that was the messge NPR was intending.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T LEE
Ever notice how the services of the United States always come through with the goods. God love our service people.

I sat with tears unashamedly running down my cheeks as I watched the fall of Saigon and the Huey's being pushed off the deck of the carriers after bringing out their cargo's of refugees as we were pulling out.

And yes, even knowing what I do now I would do as I did then.

T Lee
My father served in Viet Nam 65-66 with the 11th Amored Cavalry Regiment. During this tour he was wounded in action and twice sited for valor and eventually MEDEVAC'd from the AO as a 36 year old master sergeant with a wife and 4 kids at home in the States. I remember as an eleven year old kid not understanding the emotion on my father's face as he sat watching the news of the fall of Saigon after 10 hours of delivering mail that day.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another story from NPR, back in 1985. A couple of weeks ago, my 11 year old daughter and I were biking through the local cemetery where they have a replica of the Vietnam memorial, and we stopped, discussed what it was, and meant, and about the names. I also pointed out the last name and told her a little about him..

Richard Van de Geer - Goodbye Saigon

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
First I have ever heard of it... thank you very much for posting.....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I heard the first day of it. What I learned again, is that our servicemen are the best and always have been.

I'm not sure that was the messge NPR was intending.

Have to disagree, the message was as plain as the nose on my face, no American listening to that broadcast could have come away without feeling immense pride for their country and the US armed forces. Hell, I was feeling proud just for being your neighbour after listening to it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 30 invisible), 1,979 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.