Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I have owned several Taurus pistols over the years the last a PT92 which was a great pistol and currently own a M85 which always goes bang. I got a sales circular from one of my distributors with the PT840SS on sale for a song. I decided that the gun has several features that require investigation. (I swiped these images off the net, this is not my firearm or house for that matter)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My current pistol is a SA XD40 tactical which I have just started shooting IPSC with but shoot "Limited 10" due to the magazine capacity. The Taurus 840 has a 15 round mag which adds an advantage according to the IPSC crowd and allows me to shoot "Limited". The gun features interchangeable back straps on the grip, ambidextrous controls which includes a thumb safety/decocker lever, SA/DA trigger, a hammer and "Second Strike" capability. If the gun does not ignite a primer, the gun resets to DA mode allowing a second hammer strike. An interesting feature. Novak 3 dot sights adorn the top which use a set screw to fix them in place. I assume that is because on a budget gun the dovetails are loosely cut, but I do not have experience with Novak's otherwise. The barrel ramp was chromed which I assume is a cost saving measure, but nice and bright and shiny. Otherwise the stainless has a matte blasted finish.

I received the pistol last Monday and brought it to the range for some shooting. I am shooing 180 grain lead bullet at about 950 fps for an IPSC load. I wiped it down prior but not a lot of grease was present so an easy job. I shot several magazines thru the gun on day one with no difficulty, I would guess over 100 rounds. Initial impression for the double action trigger pull was heavy and long. I was quite impressed at the short stroke reset of the single action trigger, considerably shorter than the one on my XD. I can feel a slight tic on the trigger which feels to me like a burr on the trigger bar, but it does not interfere with the shooting of the gun. I do anticipate that to disappear after a little more shooting or a fluff and buff treatment.

I decided to try the gun shooting at a local IPSC match yesterday. Remember I just started shooting these so I really suck. One advantage to using this gun is the hammer and thumb safety, which allows me to shoot cocked and locked in Limited, so I can avoid that DA trigger pull for the first shot. I shot all five stages without the gun malfunctioning, I did have one "failure to ignite" or perhaps failure of shooter but the gun did not go bang when I pulled the trigger. Of course I forgot about the Second Strike so merely cycled the action and was not able to test that feature. Again, I was shooting a stage so I can not determine what was up with that shot, I just did the Old Faithful and cycled the slide by hand.

Overall the gun performed well. It disassembles like a Glock. The molded rails are a lot like a Glock. The slide fit is a little on the sloppy side like a GI 1911. Grip angle is like a 1911 or XD (which I am more familiar with). It does have a little molded bump which guards the mag release from you thumb, a problem I have with the 1911. For me I think a Hogue Handall would improve the hand fit for me and a fiberoptic front sight will help my aging eyes find the front sight. I was not dead last in the shoot this time, but the Eleven year old girl did not beat me this time (she actually did not shoot this week).

Last edited by supercrewd; 07/26/10.

NRA Life Member
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Playing with the camera and investigating guns I took a few photos of the G19 and the Taurus 840 for comparison. The "Glockness" of the Taurus cannot be mistaken.

Similar in size, The Taurus is probably more like the G17 in size. Notice the takedown is the same, integral finger groves and replaceable backstrap. A few more memory cues on the Taurus. The trigger reset is ridiculously short on the Taurus compared to the Glock and Springfield XD.
[Linked Image]

Looking down into the frame, Glock has the chromed trigger bar.
[Linked Image]

Underbelly of the slides, Taurus has two springs and hammer cutout in the rear. Note Ambi controls.
[Linked Image]

Frames, the Glock was definately lighter, 4.8 oz naked.
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks. You would buy it again? Taurus aren't super popular here. Lots of Kimbers, Brownings, Glocks, Springfields, S&W, Rugers, Ubertis, H&K, Sig.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I really dont see the advanatge of "second strike" by the time you pull the trigger again only to realize the guun still hasnt fired you're going to have to cycle the gun anyways. For most its already reaction and with some practice it quite quick.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
So far the gun runs great. Of course I bought it wholesale so did not feel I am out much money. I realize that Taurus is the red headed step child out there but when you shoot pistol and are impressed with performance and features, why not tell about it. Taurus sells a lot of pistols, so lots of lemons too? I have had a handful of Taurii and never had a lemon.

As far as the second strike, like I said when I had no bang in the one match, I habitually racked the slide and fixed the problem. Currently I have two Taurus revolvers and like them as well.

I have several XD's and really love them. Currenly I like the Taurus a lot...

NRA Life Member
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
Thanks. You would buy it again? Taurus aren't super popular here. Lots of Kimbers, Brownings, Glocks, Springfields, S&W, Rugers, Ubertis, H&K, Sig.

I generally don't buy Taurus, but not because I don't like them. Ultra-reliable polymer pistols are so boringly commonplace it takes a lot for any of them to find a home with me. A pard of mine owns numerous examples of Glock, S&W M&P, XD, and Taurus - all at the same time and all in 9mm. I can't come up with a defining reason to own one.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I've owned a bunch of Taurus revolvers and never had an issue. Im fine with them being a red headed step child, keeps prices down so I can keep buying quality stainless snub noses for 200.00 bucks!.....they make great stocking stuffers.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.